View Poll Results: Do you think Emma has become an iconic member of the x-men?

Voters
251. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

170 67.73%
  • no

81 32.27%
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Yes, she was a breakout star, casual fans liked her, her own following grew and writers loved writing her which is why she was suddenly everywhere. That's also why the idea of her 'being better as a villain' is ridiculous and likely pushed for by trolls since she only gained prominence (and a considerable fandom) when she became a hero (well anti-hero in my opinion, but that's a whole other topic).

Oh and as for the Scemme being the reason she was popular, most people disliked the pairing, so I'm not sure what your point is here. The death of Jean and the sidelining of Xavier contributed to her getting so much spotlight, sure. But she still got it and because popular because of it.
    Most iconic member of the 21st Century? Probably not. No one is really arguing that anyway, but iconic nonetheless and had an important role to play in most iconic stories since. For better or worse. *sighs in IvX*.
    Last edited by silence.; 02-27-2018 at 01:57 PM.

Incredible Member

Emma and Scott ruined the series for me.
    Emma was great with Banshee in the 90’s.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    If "world at large" is the criteria then Kitty and characters such as Nightcrawler probably wouldn't be considered iconic either.
    no one outside of readers and people who saw X-Men Evolution know Kitty Pryde by name, less by face... No X3 and DoFP doesnt help.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

2 stories ive seen on the news that related to the actual comics. First was death of superman. Second was Emmas uniform under quitelys pen. Just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by blinkingblah View Post
    2 stories ive seen on the news that related to the actual comics. First was death of superman. Second was Emmas uniform under quitelys pen. Just sayin
    Wow. I didn't know that happened. The only comic-related news on national news, I remember, is when it was revealed Thor was a woman.
    I’ve just published my very first work on ‘Archive of Our Own’, under the same name as here. It is the first chapter of ‘I Am My Own Best Friend ~ An Emma Frost Road Trip’, which focuses on Emma between the events of IvX and Secret Empire, including the White Queen going on a road trip, to try and have fun!

You can read the story here: https://archiveofourown.org/works/15795663

I hope you enjoy it as much I did writing it!

Incredible Member

LoL...when I think of X-Men, I don't count Emma. When I think of X-villains, I do count Emma.

Go figure.

Honest question since I haven't read Gen X yet (getting the issues with my gamer bucks!!). Did she have her White Queen problem during that run? It seems to me that there is a difference between the Gen X one and Cyclops's girlfriend one. I mean did she even bother with that White Queen outfit and schtick during that era?

Amazing Member

Yes although it took me over a decade to get used to her being a member

Yes I think she has become an iconic character in the X-Men mythology. No I don't think it is deserved. I loved Emma in Gen. X. Liked what Morrison did with her (didn't think it was evolutionary), but after that she became so two dimensional and forced upon readership that I, personally, didn't see Emma any more. That being said she still cemented her place on the team but maybe not in the family.

Emma Been Frost Perfection/Emma 2's Avatar

Hell yes that's Mama THE LAST GREAT X-MEN
    Yara Flor & Emma "Mama" Frost stan account

Quote Originally Posted by AZPolaris View Post
    Yes I think she has become an iconic character in the X-Men mythology. No I don't think it is deserved. I loved Emma in Gen. X. Liked what Morrison did with her (didn't think it was evolutionary), but after that she became so two dimensional and forced upon readership that I, personally, didn't see Emma any more. That being said she still cemented her place on the team but maybe not in the family.
    Great summary. Cemented herself as an x man but not part of the family.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmacaoni View Post
    LoL...when I think of X-Men, I don't count Emma. When I think of X-villains, I do count Emma.

Go figure.

Honest question since I haven't read Gen X yet (getting the issues with my gamer bucks!!). Did she have her White Queen problem during that run? It seems to me that there is a difference between the Gen X one and Cyclops's girlfriend one. I mean did she even bother with that White Queen outfit and schtick during that era?
    Emma was far more balanced and less bitchy in Gen X. She was still snarky and feisty but she was quite unpleasant to be around when she became an X-man.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmacaoni View Post

Go figure.

She wore a corset under 90's pantsuits and such things during Gen X, for the most part. She covered up significantly. That said, Gen X was not some smooth slide into heroics like many Emma fans like to paint. She was doubted by Sean and the students throughout the entire run to one extent or another and the last story of Gen X had her kill a police officer investigating her for the disappearance of her sister and anomalies with her fortune(Emma had killed her sister and stolen all her money) as she fled the country(which is why she was in Genosha when Morrison's run starts). The surviving Gen Xers were afraid of her and didn't even say goodbye to her when they left(but they did give Sean a big ole group hug) the school, as Emma sipped wine from a goblet looking from a window, then got a phone call to immediately board a helicopter before more authorities came after her.
    Last edited by yogaflame; 02-27-2018 at 05:55 PM.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Is Frost an icon character? I don't think so; she's not a household name character.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    the most iconic member of the x-men of the 21 century is Laura not Emma.
    Personally (and speaking as someone who considers her their favorite X-Men character), I think X-23 is still too new to know if they'll be an icon, although I do think that she's proven to be one of the few modern characters to have any kind of staying power and presumably gained a wider audience by being the breakout character of Logan, so I think she could be an icon eventually if things stay on course.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    What seminal X-Men run did Laura feature heavily in? Isn't Red her first time on an actual X-Men team? Or are you counting that "every mutant is an X-Man" phase from Messiah Complex?
    Laura had one of those runs with X-Force. (For what it's worth, the Innocence Lost miniseries is highly regarded, as far as I can tell).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Laura had one of those runs with X-Force. (For what it's worth, the Innocence Lost miniseries is highly regarded, as far as I can tell).
    X-Force, not X-Men. Red is her first time on a real X-Men team, long-term(assuming it last long).
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    X-Force, not X-Men. Red is her first time on a real X-Men team, long-term(assuming it last long).
    Wasn't New X-Men kinda regarded as an X-Men team though?

Also, thanks for the synopsis on Emma in GenX. People indeed painted her as some gracious character when she was still a killer. (Her sister for her wealth and a police officer? Really?) Shes kinda the catalyst of X-villains joining the X-Men yet never really changing. Magneto, Mystique, Sabretooth. Emma is Iconic for villainy in the X-Men I guess.