Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Default Problems with superheroine pairings

With all the discussion on how Peter could not give up his secret identity, it just dawned on me why pairing him with Ms. Marvel or She-Hulk doesn't work out.

They have no secret identities. They are She-Hulk first, Jennifer second, or Ms. Marvel first, Carol second.

Peter is half way Peter Parker and Spider-Man, with equal importance, and it would be difficult to impossible to reconcile a relationship between a full time heroine and a part time hero.

Maybe if there was a part time heroine, one who valued her secret ID as much as he does, it could work out. As it is, I don't think Marvel has any. At least, not any in Peter's age group.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    With all the discussion on how Peter could not give up his secret identity, it just dawned on me why pairing him with Ms. Marvel or She-Hulk doesn't work out.

They have no secret identities. They are She-Hulk first, Jennifer second, or Ms. Marvel first, Carol second.

Peter is half way Peter Parker and Spider-Man, with equal importance, and it would be difficult to impossible to reconcile a relationship between a full time heroine and a part time hero.

Maybe if there was a part time heroine, one who valued her secret ID as much as he does, it could work out. As it is, I don't think Marvel has any. At least, not any in Peter's age group.
    Exactly, which is why heroines like Spinneret, Black Cat, Silk or Spider Gwen could all work. Well, more in AUs than in 616 though. Peter does indeed require a romantic partner of this sort who has her own separate civilian identity.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Exactly, which is why heroines like Spinneret, Black Cat, Silk or Spider Gwen could all work. Well, more in AUs than in 616 though. Peter does indeed require a romantic partner of this sort who has her own separate civilian identity.
    What exactly is the ID status of Black Cat? I’ve never been really sure.

I'm pretty sure in 616 everyone knows she is Felicia Hardy. When I mentioned her I was thinking more of the versions of her from Spider-Man The Animated Series (the 1990s) or Spectacular Spider-Man (2003).

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Yeah, and the practical problem would be that Peter's own identity would be in jeopardy if both Peter and Spidey were seen in romantic situations with one of those heroines.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Yeah, and the practical problem would be that Peter's own identity would be in jeopardy if both Peter and Spidey were seen in romantic situations with one of those heroines.
    Could you imagine headlines after that?

“Spider-Menace moves in on Daily Bugle editor Peter Parker’s girlfriend!: Not only a threat, but a home-wrecker as well!”

It was a secret in her debut, but it quickly went public, then Superior Spider-Man retconned for it to be a secret again only to go public so Slott would have dumb reasons to make Felicia go evil.

Either way, some shitty what if which Spidey and Felicia got married brought the point that they couldn't even live together because of her secret identity being public.

If they have half a brain then the romantic situations would happen with only one, problem is that for the relationship to advance more, the heroine would need to be "officialy" in a relationship with Peter in case it goes far enough to do something like moving in together, problem is that if a nobody like him starts to date a super hero, while it won't exactly make people suspect he's Spider-Man, it would certainly bring a lot of attention to him, at least at first, and it'd make it more difficult for him to maintain his secret identity, plus having to make excuses on how the hell they met to begin with.

“Spider-Menace moves in on Daily Bugle editor Peter Parker’s girlfriend!: Not only a threat, but a home-wrecker as well!”
    I don't see that happening anymore (Maybe by some irrelevant newspaper), Robbie is the boss of the Buggle currently, and he tries to tone down the bias, and JJ himself stopped annoying Spider-Man since Spectacular, and even if he didn't, he promissed to stop writing about Spidey for a year.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 02-26-2018 at 08:35 PM.

Spider-Menace moves in on Daily Bugle editor Peter Parker’s girlfriend!: Not only a threat, but a home-wrecker as well!
    LOL, I can definitely see this happening in such a case.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Either way, some shitty what if which Spidey and Felicia got married brought the point that they couldn't even live together because of her secret identity being public.
    Which What If was that?

If they have half a brain then the romantic situations would happen with only one, problem is that for the relationship to advance more, the heroine would need to be "officialy" in a relationship with Peter in case it goes far enough to do something like moving in together, problem is that if a nobody like him starts to date a super hero, while it won't exactly make people suspect he's Spider-Man, it would certainly bring a lot of attention to him, at least at first, and it'd make it more difficult for him to maintain his secret identity, plus having to make excuses on how the hell they met to begin with.
    Exactly my point, not to mention all of her enemies that would start coming after him as well. It would have almost all the negatives of giving up his own ID, with none of the positives.

Which What If was that?
    What if Volume 2, issue#21, it's a direct continuation of issue 20.

And remember, it sucks, just so you don't say I didn't warn you, lol.

Exactly my point, not to mention all of her enemies that would start coming after him as well. It would have almost all the negatives of giving up his own ID, with none of the positives.
    Not having Norman going after his ass is a positive

But either way, it's not like Jennifer or Carol have that many enemies to begin with, plus they'd be going after Peter, not his family, and him dating a super heroine wouldn't mess his life that much, since it'd be similar to people who date celebrities, initial popularity then back to normal, it would have bad **** of course, the unwanted initial attention and the possibility of villains going after him, and both would make it more difficult for him to keep his secret identity, but it's not that comparable with him giving up his own secret identity which had far worse consequences.

Edit: Hey, now that I think of it, it could always be excused that Peter met the heroine in the PI era, wouldn't be far fetched, specialy since he was the one who who kept the Avengers' mansion.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 02-26-2018 at 09:39 PM.

Not having Norman going after his ass is a positive
    Norman’s an egotistical donkey with a bit of a god complex, is not afraid of Spider-Man, and is a mega chauvinist on top of it all. He’d still be on Peter’s tail, and if anything, he’d mock Peter for needing his girlfriend to protect him.

But either way, it's not like Jennifer or Carol have that many enemies to begin with, plus they'd be going after Peter, not his family, and him dating a super heroine wouldn't mess his life that much, since it'd be similar to people who date celebrities, initial popularity then back to normal, it would have bad **** of course, the unwanted initial attention and the possibility of villains going after him, and both would make it more difficult for him to keep his secret identity, but it's not that comparable with him giving up his own secret identity which had far worse consequences.
    And why would his family be out of the firing rang? Remember, the bullet that hit Aunt May was meant for him; anyone he’s around will end up in the crossfire, even if he’s the intended target.

True, it wouldn’t be as bad, but most of the negatives would still be there, including increased difficulty in changing into Spider-Man. And, man, could you imagine would would happen if the media caught even a hint of his battle injuries. It’s be hard to imagine coming up with excuses that don’t sound like veils to domestic abuse. (That said, that would be an interesting plot.)
    Last edited by SilverWarriorWolf; 02-26-2018 at 09:39 PM.

Norman’s an egotistical donkey with a bit of a god complex, is not afraid of Spider-Man, and is a mega chauvinist on top of it all. He’d still be on Peter’s tail, and if anything, he’d mock Peter for needing his girlfriend to protect him.
    Yeah, but if you're not Spider-Man, he won't care about you, and he doesn't know Peter is Spider-Man anymore, so Peter could be having a super heroine orgy and Noman still wouldn't give a damn about him.

And why would his family be out of the firing rang? Remember, the bullet that hit Aunt May was meant for him; anyone he’s around will end up in the crossfire, even if he’s the intended target.
    Hm, true, it would still be far less likely to happen though, since villains usualy threaten the hero directly, then again, Parker Luck lol.

True, it wouldn’t be as bad, but most of the negatives would still be there, including increased difficulty in changing into Spider-Man. And, man, could you imagine would would happen if the media caught even a hint of his battle injuries. It’s be hard to imagine coming up with excuses that don’t sound like veils to domestic abuse.
    The increased difficulty would be mostly gone after a while though, plus he still has spider-sense, and the battle injuries can be excused as his job, sure he is an editor, but he still goes around and can be excused he got caught up in a battle, so it won't point out to domestic abuse immediately, though it can still be pointed out because of the types of injuries.

Norman will work to make Spider-Man’s life a misery, and that’s not going to change, no matter who Peter’s dating/married to.

The increased difficulty would be mostly gone after a while though, plus he still has spider-sense, and the battle injuries can be excused as his job, sure he is an editor, but he still goes around and can be excused he got caught up in a battle, so it won't point out to domestic abuse immediately, though it can still be pointed out because of the types of injuries.
    Reporters not named Lois Lane don’t get mixed up that often, and editors even less (seriously, I question why Robbie keeps sending an editor out on reporter jobs, but that’s for another thread.) In the minds of people seeing those injuries, especially in our gossip addicted culture, the explanation would go straight to abuse. (A problem, I admit, that could also apply to MJ, but as I said, it’s an angle that would be interesting to see pan out.)

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

This would be hilarious. Now I want it to happen just to see this in a real comic...

I mean, they could do that, but it would be really difficult and/or not conducive to developing a healthy relationship if they need to pretend like they barely know one another in either one of Peter's identities, which would make the relationship less likely to work out...

This would be hilarious. Now I want it to happen just to see this in a real comic...

I mean, they could do that, but it would be really difficult and/or not conducive to developing a healthy relationship if they need to pretend like they barely know one another in either one of Peter's identities, which would make the relationship less likely to work out...
    Co-signed. I couldn’t have said it better.

By the way, where’s your ID from?