Page 48 of 122 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    ... poor animated Hawkeye will be terrified.
    IDEA.jpg
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    Preview for issue #3 is up:

http://www.avclub.com/article/marvel...-ongoin-237026

It has juice boxes!
    Thanks for the link! This is my most anticipated book for next week!
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers

Quote Originally Posted by klynn View Post
    Thanks for the link! This is my most anticipated book for next week!
    Mine too! (And I feel like such a bad member of the Carol Corps for admitting it... but it's the truth.)

"how can we have a meaningful dialogue with an adolescent girl when we live in a culture that still can't even talk about tampons?"

god I love Cain's writing.

Mockingbird is so much fun. Great preview.
    FYBW: my Black Widow blog.

I am impatient for the next issue of this book.

So, I just read #03, and I have to say I don't think it was as good as the others. Some things just really bothered me, like Bobbi wanting to be like an Avengers:
    1 - I know age is complicated on comics but should Bobbi be a child when all the other Avengers were already adults and... Avengers? Should she be a kid when SPIDERMAN was already a hero??? Not nice to ignore continuity just for the sake of some scenes.
    2 - All the heroes were male? I mean, I know most of them were, but what about Janet? She was just conveniently omitted. Also, Scott was there. What about Jean?
    I don't have any problem with some feminism on comics and I actually appreciate(d?) Cain's posture about it, but it was just really forced. I have the feeling she used Bobbi to say something she wanted to say herself without putting the story first.

Yeah I have to agree this issue was not as good as the previous two. It did feel to me that Cain was just using Bobbi as a mouthpiece for her feminist views. Now there is nothing wrong with a writer having convictions, but they should enrich a story, not hinder it.

I'm curious how this issue fits into the greater puzzlebox of the current plot. It definitely wasn't quite as obvious.

One way or another... I still utterly love this book.

"I finally realised that I was being unrealistic. I could never be like my heroes. They all had something I didn't. A Y-chromosome."

A lot of Bobbi's backstory resonated with me. Not in the frame of me wanting to be a superhero, but as a little girl who loved science and wanted to study it? Yeah, it sucks looking out at the world and slowly growing to realise that there was a big difference between you and the majority of the people you wanted to be like.

It's a lot better now but, considering the flux of time in the Marvel U, Bobbi would have been looking at a parade of male superheroes with the occasional woman dotted around (Jean and Jan are great, but they were never allowed to shine in the stories the way the male characters were.) She would have been seeing Captain America, Spider-Man, etc. being praised, with the occasional mention of Jan being a fashion designer.

BANNED

Bobbi is fine as is. She is to be praised.

Yeah, this issue was subtle as a sledgehammer. And I loved it. Seriously, it's so good. This is Cain saying some shit about what it's like to be a young girl, and how incredibly difficult it is, and how shitty society treats them. So yeah, this was Cain using Bobbi to say something. And I am absolutely OK with that, because it was stuff that needed saying.

tampons (2).jpg

We need, as a society, to treat young girls better.

Also, I want a series about Young Bobbi solving crimes with her laser helmet. She hangs out with friends, she babysits, she does other normal tween girl things, and oh yeah, she has a laser helmet.

Look, I just want stories about a young girl with a laser helmet, is that too much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Look, I just want stories about a young girl with a laser helmet, is that too much to ask?
    No. No, it is not.

Also, I want a laser helmet.

(Despite the continuity weirdness - I did love the flashbacks to her as a kid.)

I think it makes sense when the heroes in that roster consisted of Marvel's very oldest. Spidey Fan girl Bobbi is the only one that kinda confuses me but Bobbi could be a pre-teen around Peter's debut which would make sense.