Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

It's hard for me to read Batman after Morrison, but doable. Snyder's a poor substitute, though, especially when Manapul/Boosh are doing such great work. I admit that none of this is anywhere near Morrison's level.

Moore's Swamp Thing and Morrison's Animal Man opened up those characters and made them accessible to me and now I can't get enough of them.

For me, it's definitely O'Neil/Cowyn on The Question, and, over at Marvel, the Knaufs on Iron Man, JMS on Thor, Bendis/Maleev on Daredevil and Aaron/Dillon on The Punisher.
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Thing 2099 View Post
    Aaron/Dillon on The Punisher.
    What about Ennis?
    BB

Had yet another thought. Try as I might, I cannot imagine anyone else working the same type of magic or getting the right tone on All Star Squadron as Roy Thomas, even though no one has tried, honestly. Can't see the reverence for the past, the goofy fun tone, the bits of history, etc., being executed as well by anyone else. Maaaaaybe Johns, but even that's a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    What about Ennis?
    I cared for some of his stories, but overall, compared to the Aaaron/Dillon run, eh.

"I Was So Spoiled by Carl Barks Run on Uncle Scrooge That I Can't Get Into Any Other Runs on the Book"

^I'd agree if it weren't for Don Rosa. But yeah, Barks is the master.

It's hard for me to read Batman after Morrison, but doable. Snyder's a poor substitute, though, especially when Manapul/Boosh are doing such great work. I admit that none of this is anywhere near Morrison's level.
    I think that the problem might have more to do with Snyder than with Morrison' spoiling you.

Moore's Swamp Thing and Morrison's Animal Man opened up those characters and made them accessible to me and now I can't get enough of them.
    In essence this is how I typically feel and great choice of titles to emphasize the point. A great writer/creative team opens up my understanding and love of the character as opposed to limiting my enjoyment of other writers. However in terms of a direct comparison sometimes it is worth taking a break before continuing with the next creative team.

For me, it's definitely O'Neil/Cowyn on The Question, and, over at Marvel, the Knaufs on Iron Man, JMS on Thor, Bendis/Maleev on Daredevil and Aaron/Dillon on The Punisher.
    These are great choices as well though I haven't read Aaron on the Punisher, I alos think Waid and Brubaker are great Daredevil writers.
    Last edited by doctormistermaster; 07-19-2014 at 07:23 PM.
    “Nothing is harder to understand than a symbolic work. A symbol always transcends the one who makes use of it and makes him say in reality more than he is aware of expressing.”
    ― Albert Camus

Astonishing Member

John's GL.
    Vendetti's work bores me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post

For Marvel it'd be Garth Ennis on Punisher.
    if this means you didn't read rucka's recent run then boy do i have something to tell you

BANNED

I cared for some of his stories, but overall, compared to the Aaaron/Dillon run, eh.
    uh, aaron's run was basically him doing his hardest ennis impression. if you liked it, it means you adored ennis's work whether you know it or not

Alan Moore's Watchman is suppose to be one story no matter what DC does or says. So I will go with that. If DC wants to do something with the Charlton characters they can do that in another universe.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    John's GL.
    Granted Johns last arc wasn't as good as his previous ones but yeah once he was done I was done. Part of it is lack of money too but there was a time when I would have given so much for every lantern color to have a series but now I bowed out of the GL-verse. When Johns was doing GL there was almost a creator-owned quality to the Lantern universe, it seemed to have a direction but then post-reboot it just seemed to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by doctormistermaster View Post
    I think that the problem might have more to do with Snyder than with Morrison' spoiling you.
    Pretty sure it can be both. Morrison's Batman is better than 99.5% of what the comics industry has ever put out.

In essence this is how I typically feel and great choice of titles to emphasize the point. A great writer/creative team opens up my understanding and love of the character as opposed to limiting my enjoyment of other writers. However in terms of a direct comparison sometimes it is worth taking a break before continuing with the next creative team.

These are great choices as well though I haven't read Aaron on the Punisher, I alos think Waid and Brubaker are great Daredevil writers.
    Brubaker and Waid, for me, are prime examples of the "take a break before continuing" mentality. Anyone would suffer after the Bendis/Maleev era, and I still feel like the book hasn't found its footing.

Quote Originally Posted by scusemeprincess View Post
    uh, aaron's run was basically him doing his hardest ennis impression. if you liked it, it means you adored ennis's work whether you know it or not
    Mmm, yes, please tell me more about what I like and don't like. I'd like that a lot.

Ultimate Member

Johns Green Lantern for sure.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    Granted Johns last arc wasn't as good as his previous ones but yeah once he was done I was done. Part of it is lack of money too but there was a time when I would have given so much for every lantern color to have a series but now I bowed out of the GL-verse. When Johns was doing GL there was almost a creator-owned quality to the Lantern universe, it seemed to have a direction but then post-reboot it just seemed to be there.
    I was okay with the new 52 run. Cos when they started the run with Hal back to earth without money to pay rent I thought it was a breath of fresh air.
    I was even okay with third army and the first green lantern. But after Johns left, I just thought theres nothing more I need to read from GL.
    Right now, I'm intrigued with the new gods crossover, but other than that I'm not sure if I'll continue.