View Poll Results: What are your feelings about FRESH START?

Voters
174. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm excited / somewhat excited for this!

47 27.01%
  • I don't like this.

26 14.94%
  • Won't commit until I know more.

56 32.18%
  • Neutral - I don't care about Fresh Start one way or the other.

45 25.86%
Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Default FRESH START: Are you excited? What are your thoughts?

So even though Marvel tried to right the ship with Marvel Legacy, here we are again with another restart/relaunch just months later.

However, in fairness, Marvel Legacy was an Axel Alonso initiative -- kind of a clueless last-ditch effort to save his job.

Now that CB Cebulski in EIC, it does seem to make sense that he wants to make a clear demarcation between what came before him and how Marvel will look going forward under his stewardship. So, even though we've just had the Legacy relaunch, is Fresh Start forgivable to you given that it's being driven by the new EIC or is it still another tiresome gimmick in your eyes?

What are your feelings about the Fresh Start news we've received so far? Do you think Marvel is finally righting the ship?

If not, what are YOUR ideas for what Marvel should be doing? Should Cebulski have been obligated just to continue with Alonso's Marvel Legacy and not upended things so quickly?

In any event, Fresh Start IS happening, so do you have confidence that Fresh Start will put Marvel back on solid ground? Are you ok with more renumberings? Take the poll and add your thoughts.

BANNED

I wanna see it burn. I wanna see it crash and burn to the ground and I think I'm gonna get what I want.

Marvel wants to destroy all the things that got me interested in them? Sure, they can do that I guess. But if they're gonna do this because a bunch of bigots complained on youtube then I REALLY hope they're not banking on their sales improving as a result of this. Cause when these guys who've been harassing them don't show up, don't come to pay for the books, when the new Fantastic Four book and all the OG, non-legacy hero books actually see sales go down? I'm gonna laugh, laugh and watch as all the guys who caused this rush to come up with excuses about how "Oh, it's still SJW's faults!"

I hope the flames are pretty.

Apathy if there is no Fantastic Four, excitement if there is. I'm a simple man.

I'm not going to be petty like the poster above if they aren't in it though.
    Last edited by Crimz; 02-27-2018 at 05:50 AM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

I'm excited. Honest.

It shouldn't come as a surprise that with a new EiC, Marvel is going to relaunch it's line with CB's direction in mind. If I were in his position, I would want to do it too. While I don't agree with everything they're doing (I think Legacy numbers should remain for ALL books in some capacity), another relaunch doesn't bother me at this point. That may be because all of the books that I'm reading are either unaffected (Daredevil, X-Men Red, Rogue and Gambit, Old Man Logan) or the stories are ending naturally (Invincible Iron Man, Deadpool, Amazing Spider-Man). But I'm excited for Slott on Iron Man and Tony to be back. I'm excited for Soule to continue his stellar run on Daredevil. I'm incredibly excited and nervous to find out who's going to be writing Deadpool and the direction they'll take Wade after Duggan's all-time-great run.

The only thing I'm worried about it where Barton will end up.

But yeah. Excited.
    Last edited by cc008; 02-27-2018 at 06:42 AM.

I'm indifferent to it. None of the news has exited me.

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

If from what I have seen so far, it would be a possibility to see more important names and creative teams that could really make me feel curious and encourage me to buy it, I would do that, but unfortunately it is not like that right now.

Fresh Start sounds like pure marketing to me because of what has been announced so far, I do not see that it can fulfill the function they want to give it because it seems more of the same and I am out there right now and I will not go to that route again.

If they lie to me once, it is their fault, if they do it twice, is mine and if they do it more than three, clearly there is a very serious problem of lack of originality and creativity if they say that something changes to stay in the same thing.

Some people sure would have think or it would have thought about that Fresh Start will be something like a Huge Reebot of the whole universe.

Not interested. The Avengers announcement ruined everything and all the other announcements are extremely underwhelming and boring.

Extraordinary Member

By this point, it seems sort of silly to get mad about this. So I'm excited and all that, but with realistic expectations. Marvel isn't going to have a true reboot and things will be largely the same, but that's OK.

BANNED

It has to be more exciting than the current reactionary, back-to-basics, been-there-done-that approach.

So far I'm very worried that Wasp will end up in limbo but waiting for some more reveals before I judge it completely.

BANNED

Can't commit one way or another. Perhaps intrigued is the best term right now but until I see more as far as creative teams/titles storylines etc...let's just say I've been burned by Marvel waayyy too many times...

I'd like to see Champions relaunched as New Warriors.

As for the team: Spider-Man, Ms. Marvel, Viv, Nova, MAC, Night Thrasher, Namorita, Speedball.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    I wanna see it burn. I wanna see it crash and burn to the ground and I think I'm gonna get what I want.

Marvel wants to destroy all the things that got me interested in them? Sure, they can do that I guess. But if they're gonna do this because a bunch of bigots complained on youtube then I REALLY hope they're not banking on their sales improving as a result of this. Cause when these guys who've been harassing them don't show up, don't come to pay for the books, when the new Fantastic Four book and all the OG, non-legacy hero books actually see sales go down? I'm gonna laugh, laugh and watch as all the guys who caused this rush to come up with excuses about how "Oh, it's still SJW's faults!"

I hope the flames are pretty.
    Don't you think it's a little soon to say that Marvel is abandoning diversity?

And whatever Marvel is doing with Fresh Start, it has little to nothing to do with bigots on YouTube. It has to do with a variety of books that took chances with B and C list characters not finding an audience. Marvel, like any publisher, has to go where the market decides. I laud the attempt, under Alonso, to put a lot of quirkier, less obvious books out there. Some clicked but most didn't. It's not strictly about diversity that these books didn't gain a foothold in the market. The fact is, most fan's entertainment dollars are limited and it's a pretty easy decision for most to opt to not get, say, a Foolkiller or Slapstick solo book in favor of something a little more central to their interests.

If these riskier books had taken off, you'd see more of the same. Because the market would've shown it was willing to support them. They didn't, so in response, Marvel is streamlining things somewhat and adjusting their approach. I don't think this means that they'll be solely about the heavy hitters at the expense of all else. But they will be more prudent in how they spread and expand the line.

And to be fair, regardless of how things were selling, the classic characters were always going to come back. That's just Comics 101. Which makes all the hysteria from some fans about a female Thor, black Captain America, and so on all the more ridiculous - anyone who's spent any time reading comics would know the status quo always reverts back.

As for Fresh Start, while some of what's going to come up was partially put into motion under Alonso (like Aaron on Avengers and Slott on Iron Man), it will all still bear Cebluski's stamp and I'm eager to see how the line changes under him as we become more firmly entrenched in his era. I'm also excited to see a greater amount of movement in the creative teams. Yes, some writers will stay on their present books, like Aaron on Thor and Coates on BP and surely some others (like Soule on Daredevil, I expect) but most will be switching up. Avengers, Venom, Captain America, Iron Man, Deadpool, Wolverine, Hulk, and X-Men will all have new writers over the next few months and probably more books beyond that. I'm excited to see what that brings.

Whether I like the upcoming relaunch or not, I certainly wouldn't root for it to fail - just as I wouldn't root for any publisher to fail. I love comics and want to see the industry continue to advance. Whatever strategy a publisher wants to implement towards that end, I'm always hoping that it works for them and I'll judge the books on their own individual merits.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 02-27-2018 at 06:58 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

It's looking more inviting than it has for me since the premise of 2015's relaunch. The mini series are very interesting, two new titles from Saladin Ahmed, some "meat and potatoes" announcements so far.

None of the announcements has excited me so far. Jason Aaron's lack of understanding of She-Hulk has killed my excitement for Avengers and I don't care about any of the other characters who are getting books. They haven't given an official announcement for Slott on Iron Man yet or who is taking over Amazing Spider-Man, so my view might change.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman