Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sandfall View Post
    MCU Stinkers
    Iron Man 3, GOTG 2, Avengers:Age of Ultron and Thor 2.
    To you sure but not to the masses. Incredible Hulk is the only thing that could be described as a stinker critically or Finacially. Thor 2 and Iron man 2 are the two that get shitted on the most and those were far from failures in anyway. Black Panther is being praised in every way possible and you compare it with The first Thor movie. So it's obvious your preferences don't line up with the General Public. I loved Logan but iono what world DoFP eats Black Panther alive. By most metrics other then your personal taste Black Panther eats DoFP alive. Logan is still my favorite CBM of all time so I'll leave that alone.

@cHildrenoftheAtom
    GOTG 2 is the only CBM to ever make me cry at all. I prefer it over then first one. There are weak parts to The movie too but that ending with Hindu is one of my favorites parts of any movie. Too bad the movie wasn't that amazing throughout.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 03-01-2018 at 04:22 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    Don't agree. Iron Man 3 is underrated, as is Age of Ultron. Thor 2 was lame but GOTG 2 was an awesome movie.
    Thor 1 is underatted, Hulk is underatted, Age of Ultron is bad, GOTG is bad, Iron Man 3 is cringe worthy.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    That watch order actually sounds like a lot of fun. I'll have to try that sometime. And yeah, Thor's hair is bad in Thor and Avengers.
    Yeah each of those movies follow each other way closer than the actual MCU release order
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

BANNED

Edward Norton vs Mark Ruffalo

Edward Norton

My completely subjective and probably really inaccurate (I haven't seen some of them in 3-5 years) ranking of the MCU and X-Men films:

1. Black Panther
    2. Logan
    3. Captain America: Civil War
    4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    5. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
    6. X2
    7. Thor: Ragnarok
    8. Guardians of the Galaxy
    9. Captain America: The First Avenger
    10. The Avengers
    11. X-Men: Days of Future Past
    12. Iron Man 3
    13. Avengers: Age of Ultron
    14. X-Men
    15. Spider-Man: Homecoming
    16. Iron Man
    17. Deadpool
    18. X-Men: First Class
    19. The Incredible Hulk
    20. Thor: The Dark World
    21. The Wolverine
    22. Thor
    23. Doctor Strange
    24. Ant-Man
    25. X-Men: The Last Stand
    26. Iron Man 2
    27. X-Men: Apocalypse
    28. X-Men Origins: Wolverine

It looks like Marvel's going to be sticking to 3 films a year for the forseeable future.

On the Marvel front, Disney moved up an untitled film to July 31, 2020 (from a previous date of Aug. 7, 2020) and carved out dates for six other untitled Marvel movies: May 7, 2021; July 30, 2021; Nov. 5, 2021; Feb. 18, 2022; May 6, 2022; and July 29, 2022.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...g-2020-1090015

EDIT: The other two dates for 2020 were previously announced as 05/01/2020 and 11/06/2020
    Last edited by robreedwrites; 03-01-2018 at 05:54 PM.

BANNED

My completely subjective and probably really inaccurate (I haven't seen some of them in 3-5 years) ranking of the MCU, and X-Men films:

I will rank it like this considering the Plot, Craft, Main Actors, CGI, Music, Sound, Vision.
    1. Logan
    2. X2
    3. Spiderman 2
    4. DOFP
    5. First Class
    6. Spiderman 1
    7. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    8. Civil War
    9. Avengers
    10. X-Men
    11. Iron Man/Deadpool
    12. The Wolverine/Thor 1/Black Panther/Dr Strange/Hulk.

X-Men movies are deeply absorbing. The movies are not as skin-deep as the MCU movies. Most of the X-Men movies seem to do fine without the big must have cgi end battle that usually hurts MCU movies as we approach the end. Spiderman movies escaped this too. Most importantly, the X-Men movies are more serious and less family friendly. the serious the comic book movies are, the better they come off.

X-MEN in the MCU has to be what Netflix is with the big movie budget. its the only way MCU will make the best X-men movies. the usual formula of what they have now is not going to be enough. they have to go that extra mile.

Its has to be similar to the Harry Potter movies making the big transition from the first 2 movies (Philosopher Stone and Chamber of Secrets) to the later much darker movies. (Prisoner of Azkaban, Half Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows 1 and 2). This is the big sort of transition X-men should have coming into the MCU.
    Last edited by Sandfall; 03-01-2018 at 06:09 PM.

I will rank it like this considering the Plot, Craft, Main Actors, CGI, Music, Sound, Vision.

X-Men movies are deeply absorbing. The movies are not as skin-deep as the MCU movies. Most of the X-Men movies seem to do fine without the big must have cgi end battle that usually hurts MCU movies as we approach the end. Spiderman movies escaped this too. Most importantly, the X-Men movies are more serious and less family friendly. the serious the comic book movies are, the better they come off.

X-MEN in the MCU has to be what Netflix is with the big movie budget. its the only way MCU will make the best X-men movies. the usual formula of what they have now is not going to be enough. they have to go that extra mile,
    I tend to value theme and execution of that theme via plot/character and I think that's where my issue with the X-Men films lie (granted, they make up most of the ones I haven't seen in a long time, so I could be wayyy off on this). The X-Men franchise has for the most part seemed thematically shallow and underdeveloped, whereas I think the MCU films (especially as of late with Black Panther, Thor: Ragnarok, and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2) explore themes more deeply and dynamically. I think part of this is that the X-Men try to explore the themes from the comics of persecution and oppression but that they haven't found anything to really say about that, especially in the main series post X2.

Astonishing Member

X-MEN in the MCU has to be what Netflix is with the big movie budget. its the only way MCU will make the best X-men movies. the usual formula of what they have now is not going to be enough. they have to go that extra mile,
    Seriousness does not determine quality. The Last Stand raised several philosophical and ethical questions, but the execution was horrid. I would take a finely made light entertainment over a dull plodding "deep" movie any day.

I find it funny that you decry the MCU "formula" but do not mention anything about the repetitiveness of the X-Men movies.

Quick question: In what movie do the X-Men fight Magneto and plead with him to stop trying to destroy humanity?

X-Men (yes)
    X2 (yup)
    X-Men: The Last Stand (there too)
    X:Men First Class (flashback to the first time)
    X-Men: Days of Future Past (hmm, maybe 5th time's the charm)
    X-Men: Apocalypse (he still hasn't gotten past this?)

There are other flaws to the movies. The lack of development for characters outside the main 4 or 5. The continuity snarls and plot holes that are never explained. The fact that Fox screwed up the Dark Phoenix storyline and are trying again.

I understand that people enjoy the X-Men films, but they have huge flaws and weaknesses compared to the MCU.

BANNED

I tend to value theme and execution of that theme via plot/character and I think that's where my issue with the X-Men films lie (granted, they make up most of the ones I haven't seen in a long time, so I could be wayyy off on this). The X-Men franchise has for the most part seemed thematically shallow and underdeveloped, whereas I think the MCU films (especially as of late with Black Panther, Thor: Ragnarok, and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2) explore themes more deeply and dynamically. I think part of this is that the X-Men try to explore the themes from the comics of persecution and oppression but that they haven't found anything to really say about that, especially in the main series post X2.
    The MCU movies don't explore the themes more deeply and it worries me. the movies are shallow when you think of the X-Men movies and Nolan trilogy. All the jokes, lack of seriousness and skin-deep plots, The MCU movies are too light compared to the X-Men movies. What MCU movies do is mention them in passing. they do not explore them deeply or seriously like X-Men movies. The themes are well developed in X-Men because those themes are usually what the movies are about. The superhero aspect of X-Men is usually a last thought making their movies less shallow.

The cgi in the xmen movies are sacrificed to get the themes and story across, this is how you reject shallowness in movies. MCU movies always fall for this trick. If you truly want to know how shallow MCU can be, read all the online articles of how much Disney removes from their movies to make it shallow because they want to keep it as family friendly as possible. All the things they remove usually stay in X-Men movies and gives them depth. Watching Black Panther, it is very clear Killmonger and Thchilla are a shallow rushed version of Xavier and Magneto.

I think part of this is that the X-Men try to explore the themes from the comics of persecution and oppression but that they haven't found anything to really say about that, especially in the main series post X2.
    First Class and DOFP had a lot to say about that. Black Panther just touched on it. First Class and DOFP explored everything in details. it goes to show when it comes to fiction addressing the subject matter of persecution and oppression, you have to have the story, the race of the characters is not enough.

I saw mutants getting killed, mocked, ostracised, sent to death zone camps, made destitute, hunted down just because they are different. Not once did I see that in Black Panther , a movie similar to Thor 1 and more like a fairy tale since Vibranium is the answer to everything.

Spectacular Member Martini Sigil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by uebersoldat View Post
    Very, very well said. Great post!
    Aw... Gee Willikers... thanks!

The MCU movies don't explore the themes more deeply and it worries me. the movies are shallow when you think of the X-Men movies and Nolan trilogy. All the jokes, lack of seriousness and skin-deep plots, The MCU movies are too light compared to the X-Men movies. What MCU movies do is mention them in passing. they do not explore them deeply or seriously like X-Men movies. The themes are well developed in X-Men because those themes are usually what the movies are about. The superhero aspect of X-Men is usually a last thought making their movies less shallow.

The cgi in the xmen movies are sacrificed to get the themes and story across, this is how you reject shallowness in movies. MCU movies always fall for this trick. If you truly want to know how shallow MCU can be, read all the online articles of how much Disney removes from their movies to make it shallow because they want to keep it as family friendly as possible. All the things they remove usually stay in X-Men movies and gives them depth. Watching Black Panther, it is very clear Killmonger and Thchilla are a shallow rushed version of Xavier and Magneto.

First Class and DOFP had a lot to say about that. Black Panther just touched on it. First Class and DOFP explored everything in details. it goes to show when it comes to [B]fiction addressing the subject matter of persecution and oppression, you have to have the story, the race of the characters is not enough.

I saw mutants getting killed, mocked, ostracised, sent to death zone camps, made destitute, hunted down just because they are different. Not once did I see that in Black Panther , a movie similar to Thor 1 and more like a fairy tale since Vibranium is the answer to everything.
    So, and I'm asking this honestly, because First Class I think I've only seen once, and I can't remember much about DoFP, but what do those films have to say about oppression? Because what I've bolded are just trappings - mechanics through which you tell your story and explore themes. You call Killmonger and T'Challa a shallow/rushed version of Xavier and Magneto, and while I can understand the comparison, but I wouldn't say they're any less developed than Xavier and Magneto in any individual film. Xavier and Magneto of course have had multiple films and continuities that have layered their relationship throughout the franchise - something that T'Challa and Killmonger simply haven't had the space to do.

Thor 1 is underatted, Hulk is underatted, Age of Ultron is bad, GOTG is bad, Iron Man 3 is cringe worthy.
    Your call, but GOTG is on most people's short list of the very best MCU movies.

BANNED

So, and I'm asking this honestly, because First Class I think I've only seen once, and I can't remember much about DoFP, but what do those films have to say about oppression? Because what I've bolded are just trappings - mechanics through which you tell your story and explore themes. You call Killmonger and T'Challa a shallow/rushed version of Xavier and Magneto, and while I can understand the comparison, but I wouldn't say they're any less developed than Xavier and Magneto in any individual film. Xavier and Magneto of course have had multiple films and continuities that have layered their relationship throughout the franchise - something that T'Challa and Killmonger simply haven't had the space to do.
    I now see why you feel this way. you have seen it once. Its perfectly okay not to remember much of DOFP or First Class. DOFP sums itself up in the beginning. mutants are imprisoned, killed, hunted and sent to dead zone camps awaiting their termination. It was like Nazi Germany for Jews. This is the clip.

This is what the film had to say about oppression and the end result you thought the film did not explore.

Professor X: (Voice Over) The future, a dark, desolate world. A world of war, suffering, loss on both sides. Mutants, and the humans who dared to help them, fighting an enemy we cannot defeat. [a young mutant is seen walking through piles of dirt and carcasses] Are we destined down this path? Destined to destroy ourselves like so many species before us? Or can we evolve fast enough to change ourselves, change our fate?

This theme changes or develops through out the film based on a character's motivation and interaction with another character usually Xavier, Raven, Wolverine and Magneto.

Killmonger was too rushed, eager and quickly fell into the love to hate villain. What separates Killmonger from Magneto is. Magneto, you can see reason with him. He splits the mutant community with himself and Xavier. Killmomger was a straight up villain. the entire Wakanda rose up against him. He should not have been killed off.

My hope is MCU does not hold back on x-men. they will need to sacrifice a lot of the Disney aspect of the MCU movies. I think you missed something I said. I likened it to harry potter movies. X-Men coming into the MCU should be like harry potter movies shedding it skin from the earlier Chris Columbus movies.

BANNED

I now see why you feel this way. you have seen it once. Its perfectly okay not to remember much of DOFP or First Class. DOFP sums itself up in the beginning. mutants are imprisoned, killed, hunted and sent to dead zone camps awaiting their termination. It was like Nazi Germany for Jews. This is the clip.

This is what the film had to say about oppression and the end result you genuinely thought the film did not explore.
    Professor X: (Voice Over) The future, a dark, desolate world. A world of war, suffering, loss on both sides. Mutants, and the humans who dared to help them, fighting an enemy we cannot defeat. [a young mutant is seen walking through piles of dirt and carcasses] Are we destined down this path? Destined to destroy ourselves like so many species before us? Or can we evolve fast enough to change ourselves, change our fate?

This theme changes or develops through out the film based on a character's motivation and interaction with another character usually Xavier, Raven, Wolverine and Magneto.
    Killmonger was too rushed, eager and quickly fell into the love to hate villain. What separates Killmonger from Magneto is. Magneto, you can see reason with him. He splits the mutant community with himself and Xavier. Killmomger was a straight up villain. the entire Wakanda rose up against him. He should not have been killed off.

My hope is MCU does not hold back on x-men. they will need to sacrifice a lot of the Disney aspect of the MCU movies. I think you missed something I said. I likened it to harry potter movies. X-Men coming into the MCU should be like harry potter movies shedding it skin from the earlier Chris Columbus movies.