Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    I just find the sense of humor, characterizations, villains, and overall themes of the films to be too similar to one another with each film being notably "Marvel." The way I see it, Disney has expertly crafted each film to fit a specific mold to ensure their success, and I'm simply not a fan of it.

If you're really not aware of what's going with Disney and media consolidation in general you urgently need to do some research. Along with other companies such as Amazon, Comcast, and Viacom, Disney intends to take control of most media companies, leading to us eventually only having four or five major media companies in the world. It's the sort of business deal that plays a major role in the FCC's cut to net neutrality. Disney is growing as an empire and what they and all these other companies are doing is in my opinion nefarious and simply wrong. It's why I strongly oppose the Fox/Disney deal and hope it never goes through (even though it will, because that is our inevitable future)
    Are you sure its not just a conspiracy theory? By common sense every company wishes to make the most profits and grow. Every company if they have resources to spend in order to acquire something, which they hope would bring larger profits in the future would do this. Or else it makes no business sense. I still haven't looked it up. It sounds ridiculous.

Though i will look it up. Just to know what's the talk going around. No need to respond to me. Most people find it ridiculous. I don't wish to see the thread get into something which isn't relevant for this thread.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-01-2018 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandfall View Post
    I now see why you feel this way. you have seen it once. Its perfectly okay not to remember much of DOFP or First Class. DOFP sums itself up in the beginning. mutants are imprisoned, killed, hunted and sent to dead zone camps awaiting their termination. It was like Nazi Germany for Jews. This is the clip.

This is what the film had to say about oppression and the end result you genuinely thought the film did not explore.
    Professor X: (Voice Over) The future, a dark, desolate world. A world of war, suffering, loss on both sides. Mutants, and the humans who dared to help them, fighting an enemy we cannot defeat. [a young mutant is seen walking through piles of dirt and carcasses] Are we destined down this path? Destined to destroy ourselves like so many species before us? Or can we evolve fast enough to change ourselves, change our fate?

This theme changes or develops through out the film based on a character's motivation and interaction with another character usually Xavier, Raven, Wolverine and Magneto.
    Killmonger was too rushed, eager and quickly fell into the love to hate villain. What separates Killmonger from Magneto is. Magneto, you can see reason with him. He splits the mutant community with himself and Xavier. Killmomger was a straight up villain. the entire Wakanda rose up against him. He should not have been killed off.

My hope is MCU does not hold back on x-men. they will need to sacrifice a lot of the Disney aspect of the MCU movies. I think you missed something I said. I likened it to harry potter movies. X-Men coming into the MCU should be like harry potter movies shedding it skin from the earlier Chris Columbus movies.
    X-Men needs this kind of storytelling. They are by nature somewhat more serious then the usual Marvel stuff. X-Men films have their weaknesses too. But its an MCU thread. I see no point in bringing them up.

I somewhat wish that the deal does not go through. While i would love to see X-Men interact with others and to see X-Men films, not Wolverine and the X-Men films (which to be fair is changing) i can see that they have done a great job with their films. Take away Fantastic Four without a doubt. But i am a bit mixed about X-Men. Not that Marvel can't do proper X-Men. They have done an excellent job for Marvel properties in my opinion.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-01-2018 at 08:24 PM.

For different but very good reasons. Iron Man 1, Avengers, Captian America:The Winter Solider and Civil War are their best movies.

Black Panther, Dr Strange, Hulk, Thor 1 are middle tier movies. Not great, Not bad just average.

The current MCU movie is medicore cmpared to DOFP. It got me and many very concerned. Most MCU movies can't touch most of the X-Men movies in Plot and CGI.

Bond has this aura that people seem to dig seriously. It's more than entertianment, it's like studying a major in college. The Bond movies are more demanding in creation than most of the comic films made today. Bond has a higher quality than most comic films apart from the comic films that are willing to push more boundaries.
    I spoke of James Bond on a personal level. MCU films may sometimes be good rather then be very good but they are quite like James Bond to me. James Bond character has no depth (except for some recent films). Or the films don't speak anything really meaningful, though they may flirt with that once in a while. In my opinion they are 'popcorn' entertainment. That's not a criticism. I love such entertainment.

I don't care for 'meaningful' in blockbuster films. Rather the execution. Batman v Superman is so rich with ideas and themes. All half or poorly executed. In MCU they are excellent in execution. Subjectively one may like or dislike them. But its hard to argue they aren't doing a great job considering financial as well as critical success.

Can't really skirt around mentioning the competition. X-Men are doing great. But DC? Better not mention the trainwreck. And i am speaking from a place where i like most of their films.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 03-01-2018 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    I spoke of James Bond on a personal level. MCU films may sometimes be good rather then be very good but they are quite like James Bond to me. James Bond character has no depth (except for some recent films). Or the films don't speak anything really meaningful, though they may flirt with that once in a while. In my opinion they are 'popcorn' entertainment. That's not a criticism. I love such entertainment.

I don't care for 'meaningful' in blockbuster films. Rather the execution. Batman v Superman is so rich with ideas and themes. All half or poorly executed. In MCU they are excellent in execution. Subjectively one may like or dislike them. But its hard to argue they aren't doing a great job considering financial as well as critical success.

Did that for you. lol

Can't really skirt around mentioning the competition. X-Men are doing great. But DC? Better not mention the trainwreck. And i am speaking from a place where i like most of their films.
    DCEU is not dead, they just need to re-create what they did with Wonder Woman, it was on the level with the best of MCU, easily. Remember that Marvel had some bad ones before Iron Man...so things can get better and better. Cheers!

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Rewatching The Winter Solider and I just noticed The Russo Brother cameo. I wonder if it's the same character from Civil War too?
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

What's this?!?!?

"Will Marvel Announce the Fantastic Four Coming to the Marvel Cinematic Universe Tomorrow?"

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/03/01/NA-2/

EDIT: I could totally see Feige putting the F4 before the X-Men in the MCU. I'm not mad about it at all. I want the X-Men to finally be done right so that they rock the world when they are announced.
    Last edited by uebersoldat; 03-01-2018 at 09:23 PM.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

FOX needs to just play ball. Get Dark Phoenix out the way and then let's go!

FOX made a trade with Marvel as late as 2017 so it's still technically"business as usual" if they work together
    Last edited by ChildOfTheAtom; 03-01-2018 at 09:25 PM.
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Quote Originally Posted by uebersoldat View Post
    DCEU is not dead, they just need to re-create what they did with Wonder Woman, it was on the level with the best of MCU, easily. Remember that Marvel had some bad ones before Iron Man...so things can get better and better. Cheers!
    Thanks for trying to cheer me up. That's a good attitude to have among the fan community. There are fans on both sides who want the other to fail. I don't know why. If both are thriving then we get more good superhero movies to enjoy. There's no loss.

While i am critical of them i keep hoping for the best. This is after all WB. They are such an effective studio who have seen success almost everywhere. Just not the current iteration of DC films.

What's this?!?!?

"Will Marvel Announce the Fantastic Four Coming to the Marvel Cinematic Universe Tomorrow?"

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/03/01/NA-2/

EDIT: I could totally see Feige putting the F4 before the X-Men in the MCU. I'm not mad about it at all. I want the X-Men to finally be done right so that they rock the world when they are announced.
    I’m not gonna get my hopes up. Plus the Fox deal isn’t even 100% done yet.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

BANNED

X-Men needs this kind of storytelling. They are by nature somewhat more serious then the usual Marvel stuff. X-Men films have their weaknesses too. But its an MCU thread. I see no point in bringing them up.

I somewhat wish that the deal does not go through. While i would love to see X-Men interact with others and to see X-Men films, not Wolverine and the X-Men films (which to be fair is changing) i can see that they have done a great job with their films. Take away Fantastic Four without a doubt. But i am a bit mixed about X-Men. Not that Marvel can't do proper X-Men. They have done an excellent job for Marvel properties in my opinion.

I have concerns about the Disney/Fox deal too but its time to move on. I have to now be open minded about MCU and X-Men. I never brought up X-Men at all, I replied to uebersoldat who originally brought X-Men up.

Marvel wrote the comics meaning they should be able to do proper X-Men movies as long as Disney are not involved. Disney has to treat X-Men the same way they treated movies made under Touchstone and Miramax.

My take on Bond is that the franchise is the pride of Great Britian. The entire british film industry has a stake in it been a success financially and artistically. That is like the AFI-American film institute puting stakes in MCU or comic book movies. While MCU are considered hamless popcorn entertiament. james bond is treated as the chosen one that has the weight of the biritsh film world on its shoulders. Arguably , more quality input does go into those type of franchise. The British film industry will nominate many Bond movies at the BAFTAs so it can get Oscar nominations. It is taken that seriously in Britain. No franchise in USA is taken that seriously not even Star Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    I’m not gonna get my hopes up. Plus the Fox deal isn’t even 100% done yet.
    True....but Marvel and Fox started to work together on some things in 2017. Even if the deal falls through it seems like they would share assets like they did with Sony. Let bygones be bygones.

Boisterously Confused

Marvel wrote the comics meaning they should be able to do proper X-Men movies as long as Disney are not involved. Disney has to treat X-Men the same way they treated movies made under Touchstone and Miramax..
    It seems to me that there's a lot of space between Marvel the comics company and Marvel the studio. Even though some of the creatives from comics have been involved, the film properties are the result of much broader collaborations than the comics, with that collaboration being principally steered by the producer and (most especially) the director of each film project.

Now, so far, Feige and his chosen directors have been able to put good projects on the screen. That said, the comics writing end of it has little impact on the properties other than providing IP and plot lines (which have tended to be heavily altered in adaptation).

Astonishing Member

Marvel wrote the comics meaning they should be able to do proper X-Men movies as long as Disney are not involved. Disney has to treat X-Men the same way they treated movies made under Touchstone and Miramax.
    Why do you think that Disney doesn't already do this with the MCU in general?

True....but Marvel and Fox started to work together on some things in 2017. Even if the deal falls through it seems like they would share assets like they did with Sony. Let bygones be bygones.
    If the deal falls through, Marvel will still get the X-Men and Fantastic Four back regardless. They were Marvel’s properties to begin with and Fox can’t sell them to anyone else.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Thanks for trying to cheer me up. That's a good attitude to have among the fan community. There are fans on both sides who want the other to fail. I don't know why. If both are thriving then we get more good superhero movies to enjoy. There's no loss.

While i am critical of them i keep hoping for the best. This is after all WB. They are such an effective studio who have seen success almost everywhere. Just not the current iteration of DC films.
    Problem with the DCEU is WB only backs creators who are working on DC products when things are well once a little turbulence happens and they go full panic mode always have going back to Batman Returns they are and always have been very reactionary with the DC properties.