Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    ...for the very reason that the version of Peggy Carter virtually the entire world knows is British, and one would assume that you have to BE American to be Captain America. And yes I know in the comics she was in some takes American apparently, but that was YEARS ago and I haven't seen any take on her which is isn't a former British SOE Agent. So if anything she should be Captain Britain, not Captain America.

I say this with the greatest of love and respect to the awesomeness who is Haley Atwell and her character of Peggy Carter, and the context with Steve dying makes sense in theory but I just don't see the code name suiting her at all. Just a bug bear of mine since the character first appeared in Marvel Puzzle Quest and is now apparently returning in Exiles.
    Setting aside the Marvel Cinematic Universe version of Peggy Carter, is the Marvel version British? I'm not so sure she was.

Sandy Hausler

Quote Originally Posted by Nevets View Post
    Comics Peggy has always been American, so it's just as likely this Peggy will be too.
    That's what I remembered. Don't believe everything you see on TV.

Sandy Hausler

The strangest thing about Captain Carter is that she appears to be wearing a tie under her blue armor-vest thing.

Propriety does make its demands, I suppose!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Captain America was Ultimate Black Panther for awhile. Sometimes #### in comics is dumb. *shrug*
    Wait, really?

Huh.

Weird.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Setting aside the Marvel Cinematic Universe version of Peggy Carter, is the Marvel version British? I'm not so sure she was.

Sandy Hausler
    She wasn't British in comics. She was from Virginia.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

What's remarkable about this issue with Peggy Carter (who from design alone is obviously based on the Marvel Cinematic Universe Peggy Carter) being Captain America being silly is that how come no one seems to be taking into account that the white population in America are largely made of descendants from Britain who made the country theirs. So in what way is this a silly idea? If you want something more accurate a Native American should be Captain America.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Wait, really?

Huh.

Weird.
    Yes and No. It was a plot twist that Ultimate Captain America was playing dress up as Black Panther, so that Ultimate Black Panther could break free from the facility he was forced to be in, but I believe that story came out after Black Panther was revealed to be Steve Rogers.

Ultimate Black Panther should just be forgotten.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by neohuey89 View Post
    Yes and No. It was a plot twist that Ultimate Captain America was playing dress up as Black Panther, so that Ultimate Black Panther could break free from the facility he was forced to be in, but I believe that story came out after Black Panther was revealed to be Steve Rogers.

Ultimate Black Panther should just be forgotten.
    Eh. Just because an animal is from Africa doesn't necessarily mean that the character using it's name is going to be black. Witness the Rhino, or Cobra, or DC's Cheetah. Similarly, just because a character has 'Black' in their name doesn't mean that, like Black Widow, Black Knight, Black Cat, Black Mamba or DC's Black Orchid, they aren't going to be pale folk.

Now if Steve Rogers was impersonating T'Challa, the King of Wakanda, that *would* be weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Eh. Just because an animal is from Africa doesn't necessarily mean that the character using it's name is going to be black. Witness the Rhino, or Cobra, or DC's Cheetah. Similarly, just because a character has 'Black' in their name doesn't mean that, like Black Widow, Black Knight, Black Cat, Black Mamba or DC's Black Orchid, they aren't going to be pale folk.

Now if Steve Rogers was impersonating T'Challa, the King of Wakanda, that *would* be weird.
    I'm not sure what you're saying here. Steve Rogers was impersonating Black Panther. When the Ultimates 3 came out there was a new member on the team by the name of Black Panther. You find out later in the story that Steve Rogers (who is Ultimate Captain America) has been switching between Captain America and Black Panther.

In the Annual for Ultimate Black Panther it's explained that T'Challa was "imprisoned" in America because of a debt his father owed, and Steve helped him escape and impersonated him so no one found out about T'Challa breaking free.

Quote Originally Posted by neohuey89 View Post
    I'm not sure what you're saying here. Steve Rogers was impersonating Black Panther. When the Ultimates 3 came out there was a new member on the team by the name of Black Panther. You find out later in the story that Steve Rogers (who is Ultimate Captain America) has been switching between Captain America and Black Panther.

In the Annual for Ultimate Black Panther it's explained that T'Challa was "imprisoned" in America because of a debt his father owed, and Steve helped him escape and impersonated him so no one found out about T'Challa breaking free.
    The whole thing was just dumb. There is a reason Ultimate BP was never addressed again post Ultimates 3/Annual.

It wasn't even an interesting since the story involved was "Black Panther"'s debut. The entire "shocking twist" was that Steve Rogers is masquerading as a previously unintroduced character with no given back story in the UU, but in the MU was historically African.

Then months later they backed into a clunky and ill conceived origin for T'challa and promptly never used him again. So, so, dumb. So, so, Loeb.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 03-06-2018 at 08:38 AM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    The whole thing was just dumb. There is a reason Ultimate BP was never addressed again post Ultimates 3/Annual.

It wasn't even an interesting since the story involved was "Black Panther"'s debut. The entire "shocking twist" was that Steve Rogers is masquerading as a previously unintroduced character with no given back story in the UU, but in the MU was historically African.

Then months later they backed into a clunky and ill conceived origin for T'challa and promptly never used him again. So, so, dumb. So, so, Loeb.
    Yeah I said Ultimate Black Panther should just be forgotten, but I think all of Ultimates 3 should be forgotten. The only thing I found interesting about that story was that his older brother was destined to be the Black Panther and he disappeared after T'Challa failed the trial, but they never expanded on who he was since T'Challa went to the Savage Land to be a sidekick.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    If you want something more accurate a Native American should be Captain America.
    The Captain America from Earth-11831, Kiyoshi Morales is the closest we have, as he has mixed Japanese, African-American, Latino, and Native American ancestry. He appeared alongside other AU Caps as well as Rogers in Roger Stern's Captain America Corps mini.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    The Captain America from Earth-11831, Kiyoshi Morales is the closest we have, as he has mixed Japanese, African-American, Latino, and Native American ancestry. He appeared alongside other AU Caps as well as Rogers in Roger Stern's Captain America Corps mini.
    So is there anything wrong with Peggy Carter being Captain America? Because as I said before most of the white population of America are of British descent so it makes little difference for her to be Captain America. And across the internet YouTubers are blowing up over this and accusing Marvel of continuing their poor attempts at diversity.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    So is there anything wrong with Peggy Carter being Captain America?
    None as far as I can see.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    None as far as I can see.
    The worse I can if people want to continue to accuse Marvel of social justice is use Peggy being a woman to support their claim.