Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Stripping her of the Wolverine mantle just to give it back to that boring old prick Logan would be insulting her enough, given she's earned the mantle. Having her go back to X-23? That would just be declaring that progress is an illusion and characters can only ever be who they were at a very specific point in time. Laura rejected the X-23 moniker. She rejected it pretty spectacularly. She declared, flat-out, that she is not X-23.

So her going back to being X-23 is just ignoring a pretty goddamn fundamental moment in her development.

Just because some fanboys are unable to get over the fact that she was introduced as X-23.
    That's his name, it's weird that people are mad about this

Laura could always get a new code name or share it but at the end of the day when people say Wolverine people won't be thinking about Laura.
    We need better comics

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post

Laura could always get a new code name or share it but at the end of the day when people say Wolverine people won't be thinking about Laura.
    I would be okay with Laura sharing the codename with Logan or at least get a new one. Talon would be a good option for example (it was a codename she used briefly for a time), but as many have said, going back to X-23 would be a huge step back to the character and an insult to all the development she had in these last years.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_fury View Post
    Uhmm did i miss something. Saying that x is no longer going to be wolverine? The only thing that we got right now is that she is getting a new book probably named X-23 and i get that from a maketing stand point. They not just going to give her a new codename and punt that in front of the book. And for all we know that just how the podcasters refer to her instead of calling her laura. The book could be called X-23: Wolverine for all we know. All i got of that is that she is just getting a new book and not they going to regress her whole charater.
    Very good point; this is just a rumor and not only do we not know if it'll happen or not, we don't know what shape the series will take if it does happen. We're just guessing without evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post

To be totally fair, All-New Wolverine did establish that Laura took on the Wolverine name for very personal reasons after Logan died and from that point having her decide to stop using it after he shows up again could be written in a logical manner. However, I think the point is more that she shouldn't have to give it up just because the original came back; she's more than earned the right to wear that cowl in the first place (of all the legacy characters introduced, she's the one that makes the most sense in regards to internal logic and having a legacy to the original) and there are other heroes like Hawkeye and Spider-Man who share the same codename.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Unspeakable Evil View Post
    I know that she would not keep the mantle when Logan returned, but going back to X-23 really does feel like regression.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

X-23 isn't really a code name that fits anymore....

not really optimistic after reading the interview. Seems that Tamaki is going to throw to the garbage everything that Taylor did with Laura. Not gonna pick this.

AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGH!

I'll pick up the book, because I like Laura and I like Tamaki. But dammit, really? X-23? Going back to X-23? That's just insulting, to the character and to Tom Taylor, who worked hard to get her past that codename.

Maybe next they can have her become susceptible to the trigger scent again, too, because change doesn't matter, all that matters is giving people the **** they've already read.

Quote Originally Posted by Unspeakable Evil View Post
    X-23 isn't really a code name that fits anymore....
    Yeah, it was her name as an experiment and over the years she has grown as a character if fit less. Now after her run as Wolverine, she needs a new codename as she has completely outgrown X-23.

To me this is like Carol going back to Ms Marvel or Sue back to Invisible Girl.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Yeah, it was her name as an experiment and over the years she has grown as a character if fit less. Now after her run as Wolverine, she needs a new codename as she has completely outgrown X-23.
    I agree. She needs a better codename as X-23 doesn't define her anymore. But it seems that Marvel with their "fresh minds" has other idea in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post

To me this is like Carol going back to Ms Marvel or Sue back to Invisible Girl.
    Or Bucky going back to Winter Soldier.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Astonishing Member

Personally I like the code name X-23. What's the general consensus over at the X-boards?

I'm rather neutral towards it, but after seeing the past pages I can see why it would cause a whole lot of ire. And peeking over to that side of the pond...some are angry about the name demotion, others are just happy that Laura is continuing to have a solo.

Mighty Member

I think the problem is they probably didn't have anything else to call her.

You can complain all you want that the moniker of Wolverine is going back to Logan, but if you thought he would stay dead or that he would never make a return to the mantle, either you haven't been reading comics long enough to know things always go back to the status quo, or you don't understand how the comic industry works.

Of course Logan is coming back and of course theyre going to give him the wolverine mantle, and Marvel seems less keen on "everybody gets to be (x) character! names mean nothing!" so we cant have 2. Laura isn't popular enough to sell on the name Laura so it has to go back to x-23.

All that being said, this is just kind of going to poor planning. Marvel always knew that they were going to bring back logan, but they don't seem to have an exit plan for Laura considering one day she is wolverine, and the next day she's not. It will be especially weird considering logan has said multiple times she's better at being wolverine than he was. What they SHOULD have done is move her towards her own title towards the end and have her reject the wolverine mantle the same way she reject x-23. that way, you can get logan back as wolverine, and keep laura as her new moniker, whatever that would be.

Mighty Member

Also I find it kind of funny/ironic that people were clamoring for diverse books/creators, and the first female lead female character comes out and boom!- instant controversy. lol