Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    No reason there couldn't be two Wolverines. But nope. The inevitable return to an old status quo, because screw change, just give readers **** they've seen already.
    There actually some pretty viable reasons to not have two superhero with the same name. If given the option, the majority of fans or most likely going to choose The primary guy (in this case, Logan) over the replacement, which means you're going to cannibalize your sales. Hell, I love laura, but even I would choose Logan over her with a good creative team.

Plus, if we did this with EVERYONE (both thors, both captain Americas, all the hulks, all the captain marvels) we're creating a lot of redundancy. If im a fan of miles and Spiderman, even if I want both, im probably going to have to pick on or the other because I want to buy other marvel books too, plus those double moniker books are taking up slots for what could be new series for other characters.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Unspeakable Evil View Post
    Anybody fide it weird that Gabby has a more distinct codename than Laura now? Oh god Gabby is so dead.
    I like the codename Honey Badger. I also like X-23. Wolverine is boring and been around for decades. Time to change it up for some new names.

Yeah, Gabby's fine. Laura's Red costume will probably just lose the cowl, and like I said, hopefully they're just using X-23 as a marketing name and she'll get a new name in the comics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Yup. Miles also has the excuse of coming from an alternate reality. Oddly his series has been hinting to him coming up with a new codename, but now that he has a movie coming out, they might rethink that.

With her series ending I also wonder what that means for Kate Bishop as Hawkeye.
    Kate has always been Hawkeye. When she debuted, Clint was dead. After 14 years, I can't see her ever changing her name now.

The Miles name change thing will have been tossed out with Bendis's departure, and yes, the movie would probably be a factor too.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 03-14-2018 at 10:27 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    There actually some pretty viable reasons to not have two superhero with the same name.
    I wonder if it had more to do with merchandise. No confusion between Wolverine and X-23 when it comes to toys, shirts, and video games. Plus Marvel would probably sell more.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Who cares what she's called. Honestly. Laura is keeping a solo ongoing series. Be happy. Stop complaining.
    I'd say we don't know too much to make full complaints, but her rejecting her past and moving forward was kind of a major turning point in her story so I get the frustration. It would be like if in the fifth harry potter book everybody started acting like they did in the sorcerers stone and couldn't cast any spells.

Guys, guys. What The...? solved this problem for us years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I wonder if it had more to do with merchandise. No confusion between Wolverine and X-23 when it comes to toys, shirts, and video games. Plus Marvel would probably sell more.
    Yeah as someone mentioned already, a lot of the Miles Morales merchandise either calls him Kid Arachnid or Ultimate Spider-MAn.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Who cares what she's called. Honestly. Laura is keeping a solo ongoing series. Be happy. Stop complaining.
    The larger issue people seem to be having with it is that Laura herself rejected the name X-23. But as others have pointed out, it may just be that the book is calling her that and she goes by something else.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    I think it's because Mariko's run of She-hulk hadn't inspired too much trust among readers. There were some things that were interesting, but the pacing of the arcs were slow and the ending of many of Mariko's story arcs has been extremely rushed (first arc of She-Hulk being a huge proof of this). Also the interview have given me the vibes that the writer will throw many of Laura's development to the garbage to push Laura back to the square one (she could bring the trigger scent again and that would be a huge step back in Laura's story)
    She-Hulk is my favorite female character and Mariko's run is my least favorite. I would even rate Soule's short run better than hers.

Quote Originally Posted by Unspeakable Evil View Post
    Anybody fide it weird that Gabby has a more distinct codename than Laura now? Oh god Gabby is so dead.
    I don't see it happening. Honey Badger isn't really a name that fits Laura. Plus Gabby is too awesome to waste.

She-Hulk is my favorite female character and Mariko's run is my least favorite. I would even rate Soule's short run better than hers.
    There were some stuff I liked of Mariko's run. But her pacing was terrible sometimes. She is not a writer that inspires me too much trust in taking Laura, especially as it seems that she is going to erase everything that Laura achieved during all-new wolverine

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    I'd say we don't know too much to make full complaints, but her rejecting her past and moving forward was kind of a major turning point in her story so I get the frustration. It would be like if in the fifth harry potter book everybody started acting like they did in the sorcerers stone and couldn't cast any spells.
    Isn't this sort of like Ben Grimm accepting how he looks like but then reverts back to self-pity? Or Cyborg from DC? Bruce Banner's never-ending struggle with the monster inside? Moon Knight's struggle with his split personalities? Legion's? A lot of characters really never grow if you think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Stripping her of the Wolverine mantle just to give it back to that boring old prick Logan would be insulting her enough, given she's earned the mantle.
    I really don't understand. If you hate Logan that much why do you think it is an important thing for Laura to get his mantle, something to earn that requires certain character development? Wolverine name is defined by Logan, everything he has been doing for 40 years are exactly what makes one Wolverine. I really wonder what describes the Wolverine name in Marvel Universe to you?

I agree on the going back to X-23 thing by the way and I like Laura more than Logan as well. I am just confused by your "earning the Wolverine name" statement.

It's probably why they're trying to make "Ghost Spider" a thing for Spider-Gwen so there isn't another Spider-Woman and Gwen has a more official codename then Spider-Gwen.

Just recently an episode of Avengers Assemble had Jane's Thor get dubbed Thunderstrike to deal with the issue of their being two Thors.

Mighty Member

Isn't this sort of like Ben Grimm accepting how he looks like but then reverts back to self-pity? Or Cyborg from DC? Bruce Banner's never-ending struggle with the monster inside? Moon Knight's struggle with his split personalities? Legion's? A lot of characters really never grow if you think about it.
    Ben has been fine with his thingness for years and Bruce Banner ALWAYS sees the hulk as a curse, even if he manages ot get it under control. Moon Kight's story is the struggle between those personalities and he has been cured of it really since it's been started. never read much Legion so I cant speak towards that.

The point im making is while they may repeat story beats from time to time, but that doesn't undo progress. Not to mention all the important progress chracters keep like Tony beating his alcoholism, and even if you wantd to make the argument that this is na instance of them repeating the story beat with Laura, its happening RIGHT after her story which really undermines it.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Well at least we got our first X-Book Fresh Start announcement.