Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by klynn View Post
    Interestingly this morning I was listening to the This Week In Marvel podcast and they mentioned an X-23 series from Mariko Tamaki and Juan Cabal. They said it was announced on the Marvel website last week (apparently they record on Tuesdays). However, nothing was announced and I don't see anything on the website so maybe the podcast jumped the gun and no one caught it. Or Marvel delayed the announcement. But I guess we have that coming up.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Huh, they say X-23 series...so I guess Laura is going back to her old codename and title when Logan gets the Wolverine title back?
    Well, if true, it's always good news that the character will stay in print, but I'm really liking the All-New Wolverine series and will be disappointed to see Tom Taylor say goodbye to the character. If Laura does get a new X-23 series, I really hope that she's uses a different codename in-universe; at this point in the story, "X-23" has become a slur for her.

(When the time comes for a new author to take over Laura's story, I hope that Gabby doesn't get written out to make a "back to basics" premise; I think that the X-23 series has taken a new turn and the relationship between the two sisters has become a central premise, esp. since the "I am not a gun" story arc has been more or less resolved and explored in full.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Not "aggressive" - simply exasperated with fans who want to gripe about Marvel - gasp! - publishing comics featuring their most well known characters and - oh my god! - actually putting them at the front of a relaunch. It's an absurd complaint - especially when someone brings the movies into it. Marvel pretty much has their entire universe on film or TV at this point - if they were publishing comics without those characters, they'd have a very thin line of books.

As someone else noted on this thread, how far in advance does anyone really need to know "what's going on?" You'll get the full solicits for any given month three months ahead of time. It's March. Do you need to know now what's coming out in, say, the fall?

I could live with that. As long as she still has an ongoing. And Cabal on art would be very nice.
    I love how you refer to your old posts as "someone else" to make it sound like there are more people making your argument LOL

I guess this doesn't strike me to be any particular challenge as a consumer.

You know that once upon a time comic fans just went into their local shops or wherever they bought their books and just picked up what interested them, right? Readers didn't even know ahead of time what was going to be on the shelves until they walked in and saw the books. Imagine that!

These days, complete solicitations come out three months before books arrive. So, say, by mid-March you'll know every single Marvel title that's coming out in June. How much more clarity do you need than that?

Do I know "exactly what's happening" with every single book in Marvel's line yet beyond the May solicitations? No. Why would I need to? Thanks to the recent announcements, I know about some of the big launches coming up past May. Some of them look really interesting to me so I'll be keeping an eye out for them when I know they're coming out and as time goes on, I know I'll have all the information I'll need about those books well in advance of anything actually hitting shelves so I'm not worried or confused in the slightest. It all seems pretty straightforward to me.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Well, if true, it's always good news that the character will stay in print, but I'm really liking the All-New Wolverine series and will be disappointed to see Tom Taylor say goodbye to the character. If Laura does get a new X-23 series, I really hope that she's uses a different codename in-universe; at this point in the story, "X-23" has become a slur for her.

(When the time comes for a new author to take over Laura's story, I hope that Gabby doesn't get written out to make a "back to basics" premise; I think that the X-23 series has taken a new turn and the relationship between the two sisters has become a central premise, esp. since the "I am not a gun" story arc has been more or less resolved and explored in full.)
    It is the nature of the beast. OG Wolverine came back and he is again the one who will use the name. good thing is Laura still will be present with her own series (presumably). Others legacy characters will not have that luck.-
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Apparently? If true, it will be sad to have Tom Taylor leave Laura since he's done such a great job with her. And I can't imagine they'll abandon Gabby.
    He won't be leaving her though. He'll still be writing them in X-Men Red.

Interestingly this morning I was listening to the This Week In Marvel podcast and they mentioned an X-23 series from Mariko Tamaki and Juan Cabal. They said it was announced on the Marvel website last week (apparently they record on Tuesdays). However, nothing was announced and I don't see anything on the website so maybe the podcast jumped the gun and no one caught it. Or Marvel delayed the announcement. But I guess we have that coming up.......
    The March 9th episode?
    https://marvel.com/podcasts/10/this_week_in_marvel
    Last edited by Digifiend; 03-13-2018 at 12:00 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    He won't be leaving her though. He'll still be writing them in X-Men Red.

The March 9th episode?
    https://marvel.com/podcasts/10/this_week_in_marvel
    Yes, that episode. After the books of the week portion, when they get into the news. They mention Tony Stark: Iron Man and Ant-Man and the Wasp then X-23. I went back twice to make sure I heard it right. I downloaded the episode on Friday or Saturday. I wouldn't be surprised if they edited it and updated it since though. Seems like a mistake for them to have mentioned it.
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    ...was too lumpy.

And the 4th bowl wasn't lumpy enough.

The 5th bowl had too much sugar.

The 6th didn't have enough sugar.

And the 7th bowl is - ugh, still porridge? Why not Coco Pops?

And the 8th bowl is...Coco Pops? Nobody asked for Coco Pops! Give us porridge back!

And the 9th bowl is STILL TOO HOT

on and on unto infinity
    Lmao this made my day
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

I wonder how long the Fresh Start label will be around.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Huh, they say X-23 series...so I guess Laura is going back to her old codename and title when Logan gets the Wolverine title back?
    I really hope they don't do this. OML and the Logan movie have proven Logan doesn't really need the Wolverine codename to sell.
    They could easily launch a Logan solo and have Laura's book as Wolverine.
    Laura's character moved on from X-23, this would feel too much like a regression.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I really hope they don't do this. OML and the Logan movie have proven Logan doesn't really need the Wolverine codename to sell.
    Laura's character moved on from X-23, this would feel too much like a regression.
    You say regression

Others say back to basics.

If you stretch a character too far from their basic premise, she snaps.

The Kyles and Yost X-23 stories are what I want. With the illusion of growth. You can’t move a character to an ending.

We need her monthly, natch!

Mighty Member

I agree. Nightwing becomes Batman, he doesn't go back to Robin. I guess it happens sometimes (Sam Wilson and Cap/Falcon) but in general I prefer when growth is allowed to stand and isn't rolled back.

I dunno, I think it's inevitable that Logan will become Wolverine again, and just having him go by "Logan" is pretty much delaying the inevitable.

But if they put Laura in a new X-23 book by Mariko Tamaki, then I think they might be moving her back to a similar feel as in the Liu series, even if I would hope they don't completely ignore all the character development she's had since then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    I agree. Nightwing becomes Batman, he doesn't go back to Robin. I guess it happens sometimes (Sam Wilson and Cap/Falcon) but in general I prefer when growth is allowed to stand and isn't rolled back.
    No, he just goes back to being Nightwing .

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    You say regression

Others say back to basics.

If you stretch a character too far from their basic premise, she snaps.

The Kyles and Yost X-23 stories are what I want. With the illusion of growth. You can’t move a character to an ending.

We need her monthly, natch!
    Because nothing says Quality Comics like repeating the exact same stories that have already been done.

Screw that. Laura's not X-23 any more. She is not the person she was when she was introduced. What the hell is the point in just resetting her back to that person? Why the hell would I give a single **** about the character if I know for a fact that she will never be allowed to actually grow? That inability to experience permanent growth is why I stopped caring about the old characters in the first place. Marvel declaring that Laura is one of those characters whose personal growth will always be undone would be the quickest way to make me lose interest in her.

So screw the X-23 codename. Let her stay Wolverine. I don't give a **** if Logan wants the name back. Fine, have two Wolverines. Or if the idea of two people using the codename is that horrible to think about, if it's absolutely necessary that Laura give up the Wolverine name so the ******* dude can be the only one, fine, give her a new codename. But don't have her go back to X-23. She renounced that. It was a pretty strong moment. Don't just throw that out the window because the Big Two is terrified at the prospect of permanent changes.

Spectacular Member

Idk how I'd feel about a Laura series by Tamaki. I really liked the first 4ish issues of her Hulk series for Marvel Now 2.0, but then the first arc ended really meh and the following arc was just trash. Didn't bother picking it up when it rebranded/renumbered for Legacy. Heard great things about Supergirl: Being Super though.

Would love if they could bring back Marjorie Liu. She used to write Laura and she's killing it with Monstress over at Image now.
    Floppies as of November: Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman, Catwoman, The Green Lantern, Black Panther, Dead Man Logan, Domino, Exiles, Iceman, Immortal Hulk
    Digital as of November: Daughters of the Dragon, Iron Fist: Phantom Limb, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage.

Astonishing Member

Imagine the movies didn't exist.
    I wonder how many titles Marvel would be publishing if that happened. Would it be half the output? Could it even survive just on merchandise only?

I prefer the days when movies weren't involved but because of the success of MCEU Marvel has tried a lot of diverse books and put out way more comics than possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Because nothing says Quality Comics like repeating the exact same stories that have already been done.

Screw that. Laura's not X-23 any more. She is not the person she was when she was introduced. What the hell is the point in just resetting her back to that person? Why the hell would I give a single **** about the character if I know for a fact that she will never be allowed to actually grow? That inability to experience permanent growth is why I stopped caring about the old characters in the first place. Marvel declaring that Laura is one of those characters whose personal growth will always be undone would be the quickest way to make me lose interest in her.

So screw the X-23 codename. Let her stay Wolverine. I don't give a **** if Logan wants the name back. Fine, have two Wolverines. Or if the idea of two people using the codename is that horrible to think about, if it's absolutely necessary that Laura give up the Wolverine name so the ******* dude can be the only one, fine, give her a new codename. But don't have her go back to X-23. She renounced that. It was a pretty strong moment. Don't just throw that out the window because the Big Two is terrified at the prospect of permanent changes.
    I think it would be interesting to see Laura with her current mindset and development starring in stories that hearken back to the tone or style of Marjorie Liu's run.