Page 35 of 42 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I would probably wear a shirt that says X-23 over The Wolverine. Much cooler and mysterious.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Well at least we got our first X-Book Fresh Start announcement.
    Second, technically. Deadpool was already announced.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Isn't this sort of like Ben Grimm accepting how he looks like but then reverts back to self-pity? Or Cyborg from DC? Bruce Banner's never-ending struggle with the monster inside? Moon Knight's struggle with his split personalities? Legion's? A lot of characters really never grow if you think about it.
    Which is why I find those characters so boring.

I like the newer characters because they actually do get the capability of real, ongoing growth. If Laura's going to just be thrown into the pile of characters for whom lasting growth is impossible, that's going to really hurt my enjoyment of her.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Maybe next they can have her become susceptible to the trigger scent again, too, because change doesn't matter, all that matters is giving people the **** they've already read.
    That'll probably happen at some point.

It probably would have happened even if she was still Wolverine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    To me this is like Carol going back to Ms Marvel or Sue back to Invisible Girl.
    I don't think Carol going back to Ms. Marvel would be that much of a demotion, although I guess going back to a codename that now's being used by a teenage girl would kind of be weird...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    Or Bucky going back to Winter Soldier.
    But Bucky's still called and referred to as the Winter Soldier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Wolverine is one of the most popular characters in the world. I don't know how anyone thought Laura having the name was ever gonna be permanent. It's like all the people who were super convinced that there was a conspiracy at Marvel to get rid of all the white dudes when it should've been rather obvious to everyone involved that stuff like Jane as Thor or Sam as Captain America were only ever intended to be temporary.
    I'm starting to think Marvel might have shot themselves in the foot with some of these replacement storylines.

Like, I'm starting to think they got people too invested in these legacy heroes and promoting diverse leads in these A-list identities that now there's going to be a lot more of a backlash as they bring the originals back to prominence and give their successors their old identities or new identities that might not sell as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    There's two Hawkeyes, and it's fine. There's two Spider-Mans, and it's fine. Things were fine when there were two Captain Americas.
    There were never really two Captain America's, given one was a real Cap and the other was a reality-warped Nazi masquerading as Captain America.

And you can see some of the issues with their being two Spider-Men when Miles ends up getting stuck with Kid-Arachnid or without even a codename when he's in a cartoon with Peter.

Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

Of course Legacies come and go. But I'll laugh if something MCU related forces Marvel to change their minds again.

Sounds like I'm being biased, but from my observation, the main reason the Ms. Marvel thing managed to stick was because at the time Kamala came onto the scene, that name wasn't being used by anybody at all and was just abandoned. With Marvel on the path to definitely make the Captain Marvel belong to Carol, the Ms. Marvel name is now set to become Kamala's all on her own and stick for possibly years to come. Really the only ones I've seen that are disappointed about the Ms. Marvel situation are the Sharon Ventura/Monica Rambeau fans, the Carol fans who dislike the current direction of her character, those people that hate Carol's current look because they miss hawt black spandex, and the standard anti-legacy crowd.
    Last edited by Xalfrea; 03-14-2018 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    Sounds like I'm being biased, but from my observation, the main reason the Ms. Marvel thing managed to stick was because at the time Kamala came onto the scene, that name wasn't being used by anybody at all and was just abandoned. With Marvel on the path to definitely make the Captain Marvel belong to Carol, the Ms. Marvel name is now set to become Kamala's all on her own and stick for possibly years to come. Really the only ones I've seen that are disappointed about the Ms. Marvel situation are the Sharon Ventura/Monica Rambeau fans, the Carol fans who dislike the current direction of her character, those people that hate Carol's current look because they miss hawt black leather, and the standard anti-legacy crowd.
    I've never thought about Carol's old look as black leather, but I've always been more of a spandex guy .

Quote Originally Posted by Unspeakable Evil View Post
    Of course Legacies come and go. But I'll laugh if something MCU related forces Marvel to change their minds again.
    That's pretty much why Ms. Marvel is safe. Now that Carol has a movie under the Captain Marvel name, she's pretty much never going back to the old Ms. Marvel name. Kamala's got nothing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    That's pretty much why Ms. Marvel is safe. Now that Carol has a movie under the Captain Marvel name, she's pretty much never going back to the old Ms. Marvel name. Kamala's got nothing to worry about.
    Well if there's a chance characters like Steve, Tony, Thor, Peter and Bruce die or retire and new characters show up
    Would Marvel comics have to follow the leader? Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Unspeakable Evil View Post
    Well if there's a chance characters like Steve, Tony, Thor, Peter and Bruce die or retire and new characters show up
    Would Marvel comics have to follow the leader? Maybe
    Maybe that would be more reason for them to keep the classics in the comics, so fans still have a way of reading or experiencing those characters?

I mean, even with all the replacements, we still had most of those guys still prominent in the movies and cartoons, so maybe that's how Marvel justified it to some degree.

But if they're not in the movies, maybe there will be more investment in sticking with the classics rather then replacing or eliminating them.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Maybe that would be more reason for them to keep the classics in the comics, so fans still have a way of reading or experiencing those characters?

I mean, even with all the replacements, we still had most of those guys still prominent in the movies and cartoons, so maybe that's how Marvel justified it to some degree.

But if they're not in the movies, maybe there will be more investment in sticking with the classics rather then replacing or eliminating them.
    That would be the smart thing to do but Marvel can be really stubborn for no reason

Keep in mind this is the same Marvel that made Rhodey go from War Machine to Iron Patriot back War Machine because of the movies.

Laura was one of the few Legacy characters that deserved the mantle, not just the costume because the yellow blue Wolverine costume was always terrible.
    Songbird Appreciation Thread

Support Flintstones & Future Quest.

Quote Originally Posted by CIA View Post
    Laura was one of the few Legacy characters that deserved the mantle, not just the costume because the yellow blue Wolverine costume was always terrible.
    What they should have done is given her new name and built her up without attaching her to the mantle. Now all the chickens have come home to roost and it turns out she's apparently nothing without it. Legacies are stupid. She could have been her own independent character in that time frame.

I'll give Laura this. She's probably one of the few X-men characters that deserve a solo.