Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Default Kelly Sue DeConnick to write a mature Wonder Woman title? (RUMOR)

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/02...ed-elseworlds/

So DC is launching a new mature readers important(which the batman white knight book was apparently the start of) and one of the books being announced for it is a Wonder Woman book by Kelly Sue. I really disliked her captain marvel run, but apparently she does something indie stuff, so it could be interesting? Thoughts?

I’m game. When everyone was discussing an animated series I felt alone in wanting on that was more adult themed. I’m looking forward to this concept

While I haven't heard many good things about the writer, I'm interested at least. I'm not sure what they could do to make it Rated R... Diana is the last character whose comics should have excessive violence or gore, and I can't imagine the sexuality being an issue.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

The only thing I have read by KSD has been Captain Marvel which I quite enjoyed, so much that I wouldn't mind if she took over the main WW title actually. However, I always get a little nervous when they announced "mature readers" lines. It seems to be a vehicle to throw gratuitous sex and overt violence into a comic that doesn't necessarily need it. I will keep an open, but cautious mind set...

I'd give it a shot.

Incredible Member

DC sure does have a lot of imprints now.

But if it's an elseworld, I'm game. She's written some good stuff before.

Amazing Member

I mean this is good for the character. You got to let go and let people do weird stuff with your character to raise their profile. The reason Batman is so well known is because he has a alot of insane stories and so many weird Elseworlds shit that build him up. You got to give Wonder Woman the same space to get wild.

Ultimate Member

Could we finally really explore Diana's bisexuality overtly perhaps? I mean it'd be sad that it'd take a "mature label" to finally do that, but it'd still be better than nothing imo.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Could we finally really explore Diana's bisexuality overtly perhaps? I mean it'd be sad that it'd take a "mature label" to finally do that, but it'd still be better than nothing imo.
    From the writer of "Bitch Planet"? I'd say yes.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Fingers-crossed. I'm hoping for an epic love story between Diana and Barbara Ann Minerva with an obviously tragic end when Barbara's insecurity about her humanity / mortality leads her to becoming the Cheetah!

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    While I haven't heard many good things about the writer, I'm interested at least.
    Heh, that's just more evidence for my impression that comics fans tend even more than most fandoms to break into "love it" or "hate it" camps. I've rarely heard anything bad about her, and actually love her work. Bitch Planet is masterful, though it's been plagued with hellacious delays even by creator-owned standards. Pretty Deadly is great, too, and Emma Rios's art is some of the most beautiful I've ever seen. And the couple TPBs of DeConnick's Captain Marvel I've read were enormous fun.

So, yeah, if this happened, I'd be all over it.

I'd definitely check it out if it happened. I really enjoyed her first volume of Captain Marvel. It depends if she brings her fun comic voice to the series or her angry indie voice.
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers

Hated what she turned Captain Marvel into. She is the one responsible for turning Carol into the current lifeless character we have now. If that is any indication of what she will do with WW then I'd be worried.

I guess I am a little curious what kind of take Kelly Sue DeConnick would have on Diana, especially in a more mature-oriented title.

No origin story please! Please, I can't read another one!
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut