Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Default A Mature-Readers Out-Of-Continuity Superman title is apparently coming.

BC broadcast word today of "DC Black Label", a mature readers imprint to contrast DC Zoom and DC Ink (something I believe a DC head honcho implied was coming awhile ago), led by a collection for Batman: White Knight and a KSD Wonder Woman title, with Superman and Batman books following. Sean Gordon Murphy tweeted he'd heard about this internally and then rapidly deleted it, so this is apparently true. I assume the Bat-book will be the Snyder/Murphy 'final Batman story' the former'S mentioned before: any ideas as to what Superman might constitute? King would seem the obvious choice, maybe Priest.
    Buh-bye

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Never saw Superman as the type of character to be featured in a mature story but then again Twilight of the Gods written by Alan Moore made him into a tyrant and it was pretty dark in the concepts so I'll just wait and see how the optimistic Superman can fare in a dark gritty makeover.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I could see King's sanctuary story being apart of this, unless that's apart of continuity.

Dilly-Dilly?

I guess this means DC feels the current Superman and Action Comics stories are written for kids who are 8-years-old and younger?

BANNED

'You think you know me..."

Making his way to Metropolis, hailing from Smallville, Kansas, the Rated-R SUUUUUUUUUUUPERRMAN
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 02-28-2018 at 12:03 PM.

Astonishing Member

Superman Year One by Miller.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Superman Year One by Miller.
    ****, good point.
    Buh-bye

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    ****, good point.
    I think that it is the mature readers imprint they have been talking for some time by now. https://www.inquisitr.com/4343796/dc...th-mark-doyle/
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Thrilled to be hearing about this. Been saying they need to do this for years. And very interested in seeing if DC can actually pull of a mature book without just making it a regular book, but with swearing, cigars, and nudity.

Will they get quality writers who will bring complex, adult stories to the characters, or the kind of immaturity that so often thinks itself mature for its use of "adult" content?

If they do it right.....this line could end up replacing the majority of my pull list. I'm especially interested in seeing how they put Clark into such a narrative without sacrificing his character. It can be done, and it can be done well.....though the second point to consider will be whether readers are capable of grasping it, or if they'll just immediately throw it under the bus for not resembling their preconceived notions of what a Super-story "must" be.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Retired

Back in the glory days of the DC Mature Readers titles, I wanted them to do this with Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman--but in Superman's case I envisioned something like Gaiman's SANDMAN (albeit with quasi-science logic rather than supernatural). There was a lot about the Endless that owed a debt to the Mort Weisinger era Superman comics. Likewise Alan Moore's Supreme (in fact most of Alan Moore's work in general).

DC's argument against that was they didn't want little kids picking up these books, expecting them to be like the regular titles. And you could see that happening and then a parent reads their kid's comic and the next thing you know there are public book burnings in the town square.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Thrilled to be hearing about this. Been saying they need to do this for years. And very interested in seeing if DC can actually pull of a mature book without just making it a regular book, but with swearing, cigars, and nudity.

Will they get quality writers who will bring complex, adult stories to the characters, or the kind of immaturity that so often thinks itself mature for its use of "adult" content?

If they do it right.....this line could end up replacing the majority of my pull list. I'm especially interested in seeing how they put Clark into such a narrative without sacrificing his character. It can be done, and it can be done well.....though the second point to consider will be whether readers are capable of grasping it, or if they'll just immediately throw it under the bus for not resembling their preconceived notions of what a Super-story "must" be.
    I'm guessing what Myskin said is right and the only mature Superman book will be superman year one

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I'm very much for this, DC Ink, DC Zoom, and maintaining a regular continuity. Good stuff. And, yeah, seems like the mystery of where Miller's "Year One" (apparently not called that anymore) will be place is solved.

Also, from what I've read and heard King's sanctuary is in-continuity.

Hope this attracts more interesting creators like how we're getting Kelly Sue DeConnick and Miller.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 02-28-2018 at 02:28 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I'm guessing what Myskin said is right and the only mature Superman book will be superman year one
    Well, I think that it Superman Y1 may be the first title, not the only one. If they are planning this as a series of OGNs (like DC Ink or Zoom) or a series of mini-series and if it will be successful it is entirely possible that Superman Y1 will be the first of a series of standalone mature Superman stories. Maybe also Morrison's Batman Black and White or The Flash can become part of the imprint.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

The first thing I found perplexing about this news is that if one thinks Snyder/Murphy's Batman The Last Knight is involved with this label, then that will be "in continuity" as far as Snyder is concerned (his continuity at least):
    "It's almost like a Mad Max Batman story in the future," Snyder told Newsarama earlier this year. "It's really nuts, but it connects the continuity."
    https://www.newsarama.com/36826-snyd...st-knight.html

So, what that means or doesn't for Superman is...I don't know, something to wonder about.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-28-2018 at 01:55 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member

Well I don't think that it will be a series of "Elseworlds" as in "Batman during the French Revolution" or What if Superman was Green Lantern" type of thing.
    I guess that what they are attempting to do is something which COULD be potentially in continuity but departs from it both tonally and thematically. Like The Dark Knight Returns or The Man Without Fear. I mean, if you think about it it's the same idea behind DC Ink or Zoom.