Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    But, the thing is, stories like All Star Superman and lighter, more colorful stories don't need to be for adults only. Extreme violence and darker themes are the only things that would keep a Superman story from being for adults only, since I sincerely doubt DC is going to allow Superman to be used in a R-rated sex comedy.
    You've made me realize I'm not really so down with this book if BCool is correct that it all must be R-Rated. Might as well have Zach Snyder lead off and do the first arc, I'm sure he'd have loved to move beyond PG-13 to R.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Count me in as one of those that are intrigued by this. I'm all for complex stories that go beyond the typical comic book style.
    Always Forward. Forward Always.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    For instance, Krypto's animal nature suggests he would not conduct himself according to the social rules that Superman follows. You could probably show a lot of that in a regular book, but it's not something DC would want kids to know about.
    They did that in 00's post-Crisis a little bit, as I recall. Krypto tried to kill Mongul, I believe, and tore his throat out.

I'd imagine that a quality mature-Super book would likely deal with geopolitics, social issues (what does Superman think about abortion? Russia's electoral interference?
    Gun control? Net neutrality?), and the really ugly crimes he usually avoids like human trafficking or the sex trade.

Looking at some of the responses here, I think this line is going to be very polarizing on this forum and others like it. But I am all for this, provided DC doesn't compromise Clark's character and they do an actual mature story, instead of just inserting nudity and swearing into a normal story and calling it mature, like some idiot teenager would.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    You've made me realize I'm not really so down with this book if BCool is correct that it all must be R-Rated. Might as well have Zach Snyder lead off and do the first arc, I'm sure he'd have loved to move beyond PG-13 to R.
    If you disliked MoS, I highly doubt you're going to like the mature comic. MoS didn't really compromise anything, it just took the characters outside of their traditional binary morality and put them in a more complicated setting. If that was too far for you, I doubt an R-rated Superman story will appeal to your sensibilities.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    If you disliked MoS, I highly doubt you're going to like the mature comic. MoS didn't really compromise anything, it just took the characters outside of their traditional binary morality and put them in a more complicated setting. If that was too far for you, I doubt an R-rated Superman story will appeal to your sensibilities.
    I really like Man of Steel, it really didn't compromised anything about Superman himself. The only problem with MoS is the movies that follow it.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

provided DC doesn't compromise Clark's character and they do an actual mature story, instead of just inserting nudity and swearing into a normal story and calling it mature, like some idiot teenager would.
    Yea, I don't trust DC on this front.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

It should be interesting.

I think it'll either be incredible, or terrible. If they can capture the kind of quality that defined Vertigo for so long, and still keep Clark "in character" it'll be an achievement indeed.

Hell, if they can make this as good as a typical storyline in Invincible (RIP) it'll be an achievement.

But I fear we'll just get boobs and drugs and swearing, because that stuff is "adult" even though any fifteen year old idiot can get all those things too.
    To the bolded, I again 100% agree with you. "Mature" titles are very tricky...for every 'Fables', there is a 'Grimm Fairy Tale'. Now, mind you, I have no issues whatsoever with Grimm...I'm a healthy, adult, heterosexual male so the eyecandy is fun sometimes. But it goes without saying that a tone like GFT won't work for Superman (though it could work fine for some other characters). So I'm excited to see what happens because, good or bad, it'll be an interesting experiment.

I'm sure in this line we'll see boobs, drugs, and swearing, too. I'm absolutely not opposed to these things, even in a Superman book, as long as they serve the story. Gratuitous Lois-in-the-shower probably isn't needed. But Lois going undercover for a story in a strip club and you see dancers in the background? Sure!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurk View Post
    And suddenly I'm interested in a mature Superman story; thanks

That old "Lets kill Lois and make him evil and gory because we make it mature" treadmill... *puke gesture*
    I think there's lots of ways they can go with this without sacrificing Superman's character (or that of his cast). I recall the time in the 90's when Toyman killed Adam Grant...that was a dark story, and they did what they could with it considering the medium they had to work with. A story like that is perfect for this kind of line...you could really delve into the psychological trauma Cat would have gone through, not to mention Superman's guilt. In the 90's these things were hinted at, but not explored much due to the CCA at the time, but this new line opens up many possibilities.

Again, it's all about putting Superman into these "mature" scenarios without making him "more mature". It's a delicate balance, and I don't think just anybody could write it, but I'm damn excited to see it!
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    I really like Man of Steel, it really didn't compromised anything about Superman himself. The only problem with MoS is the movies that follow it.
    MoS is a gem.

I do think there were a few flaws in the film, but nothing is perfect. DC could do far worse than using MoS as a foundation for this imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Yea, I don't trust DC on this front.
    Oh, DC doesn't have my trust at all. But I wont condemn this imprint until they prove my worst assumptions true. And who knows, they still do good stuff on occasion, and they've been doing really well with their imprints these last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    To the bolded, I again 100% agree with you. "Mature" titles are very tricky...for every 'Fables', there is a 'Grimm Fairy Tale'. Now, mind you, I have no issues whatsoever with Grimm...I'm a healthy, adult, heterosexual male so the eyecandy is fun sometimes. But it goes without saying that a tone like GFT won't work for Superman (though it could work fine for some other characters). So I'm excited to see what happens because, good or bad, it'll be an interesting experiment.

I'm sure in this line we'll see boobs, drugs, and swearing, too. I'm absolutely not opposed to these things, even in a Superman book, as long as they serve the story. Gratuitous Lois-in-the-shower probably isn't needed. But Lois going undercover for a story in a strip club and you see dancers in the background? Sure!
    Oh, I'm fine with nudity and swearing. Generally I welcome both things actually, and in abundance. I just dont want that to be what defines this line as "mature" because being able to show some nipple doesn't make you "grown up."

That New52 Detective issue with the Bat-Cat rooftop sex? That's not mature, that's just gratuitous.

Gaiman's Sandman on the other hand? That's the kind of mature I want to see out of this imprint.

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

One of the R-Rated Superman books will reveal what really happened between Barda and Superman in AC #592/593.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    One of the R-Rated Superman books will reveal what really happened between Barda and Superman in AC #592/593.
    They gleefully beat the sh*t out of a crappy villain with the worst plan in history and then got tacos?

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Superman Year One by Miller.
    That's what I was gonna say. You beat me to it.

So I'm guessing we'll see the tagline:

"Mr. Kent will see you now."

Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Incredible Member

I tried pitching something like this once, in kind of an adult literary fiction vein.

It’s not just violence or sex, IMHO, if they do it right but it’s having those on the table.

In my pitch, we open on Supergirl and Brainiac 5 in bed talking about birth control. They get dressed and go out to meet the Legion, which includes Superboy. My story always kind of hinges on everyone else having sort of a flawed, mature take. (Lois muses on how hard it is to have given up smoking.) But Superman is Superman is Superman.

And we have this story that starts with him alongside the Legion. And there’s a timeloop component to it which makes it a bit too complex for all ages. But a big key to it all for me is to show that his friends have issues with drugs, with mental illness. They have sexual flings. Some have alcoholism. Some have depression. He’s not oblivious to any of these things but he loves them all and wants to help. And a big recurring theme of this story I’ve wanted to tell is how much Superman does or doesn’t notice the things around him and what he does about that as part of this megastory that begins and ends with him as a boy.

BANNED

Superman: Year One by Frank Miller and John Romita Jr.:

“A groundbreaking, definitive treatment of Superman’s classic origin story in honor of his 80th anniversary. This story details new revelations that reframe the Man of Steel’s most famous milestones—from Kal-El’s frantic exile from Krypton, to Clark Kent’s childhood in Kansas, to his inevitable rise to become the most powerful and inspiring superhero of all time.”
    https://www.cbr.com/dc-comics-unveil...label-imprint/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post

Yay to Black Label!

But this?:

Superman: Year One by Frank Miller and John Romita Jr.:

“A groundbreaking, definitive treatment of Superman’s classic origin story in honor of his 80th anniversary. This story details new revelations that reframe the Man of Steel’s most famous milestones—from Kal-El’s frantic exile from Krypton, to Clark Kent’s childhood in Kansas, to his inevitable rise to become the most powerful and inspiring superhero of all time.”
    Boo. Boo to this!