Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    I'm just wondering what the title is gonna be? "The Private Life of Clark Kent" has been taken...Something like "Superman After Dark"
    The Miller/Romita Jr. story? Superman: Year One, isn't it?

BANNED

This sounds great! Another "take" on Superman's origin that will instead be the origin of Miller's lapdog murderer from one of the most overrated stories in comic book history. The other selling point? The tremendous work of John Romita Jr., whose last work on the character was a far cry from his best work.

Just when you think DC finally gets it (Rebirth, Reborn) we get this crap. It doesn't matter that it's not "in continuity," because non-comic book readers will pick this up and assume this is Superman's definitive new origin.

Veteran comic book readers understand the concept of differing continuities. Newer fans will learn quite quickly as what the line is will be clearly advertised. So I highly doubt there won't be an understanding of what this is apart from the main books. As a new, young comic book reader in the nineties I knew nothing about the industry coming in. Yet the first time I laid my eyes on an Elseworlds book, I knew immediately what it was. Because the descrption of the imprint told me what it was. It was weird to me at first but I understood the basic concept that these stories did not "count" the way the stuff I was reading in the monthlies counted. This will do the same for anyone new to the fray. Confusion will not be as rampant as you make it seem.

That's not even to mention that even if some WERE to take it as a definitive origin, who cares? If people happen to like this take more than what's going on in the main book an are drawn to it, there's nothing wrong with that. That's up to the individual. Different strokes for different folks.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-08-2018 at 07:21 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Saw this in articels, Miller on S: YO (from SXSW):
    Frank Miller: (on Superman: Year One) The whole idea behind this book is to introduce Superman as if you had never heard of him in the first place, bringing back things that make the character so extraordinary. The galactic voyage he took as a boy, the heroes journey and how biblical he is in his dimension. For me, it is going from the “gloomy dark guy” to the hero of the sun. And it doing our best to do justice to the material but to treat it as a new idea.

Miller: The more I think about Superman, the more in love with him I get. With Batman, he’s familiar … he’s a guy I know now. But with Superman, there’s more for me to explore. What I love about him is his purity, that he is a true hero. He has the small town aspect but he is also an alien … he is an American.

Miller: My favorite story of Superman is not actually in the comics. Its an episode of the Fleischer Brothers cartoon: Runaway Train … the bad guys get a train full of gold and Superman stops it. The end. But the way you get there is amazing. He is strained to the absolute limit and it takes a whole damn train to show off how heroic he is.
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/03...-jim-lee-sxsw/

Even Frank Miller agreed, saying that what he loves most about the character is his inherent goodness and purity. Miller, who’s writing the upcoming Superman: Year One with artist John Romita Jr., says that his take on the character will recapture “the essence” of him. He wants to get away from the gloom that’s dogged the DC Extended Universe’s version of Superman and get back to “the hero of the sun,” who is the “quintessential American.” In addition to his moral strength, Miller emphasized Superman’s sheer power and invincibility. Although he wouldn’t reveal any new details about Year One, he did say that working with Romita Jr. was like “going to heaven without dying.”
    https://www.cbr.com/sxsw-superman-ji...ichael-bendis/
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I have been less impressed with Romita's work at DC than I was by his stuff at Marvel, so I gave his run with Geoff Johns a try last night (The Men of Tomorrow). And despite the fact that everything about it infuriated me because of how N52 it was - no real role for Lois, the idiotic armor and collar, the frustration of the black S on the cape, I thought Romita's stuff on Superman was orders of magnitude better than his stuff on Batman or Silencer (much as I like Silencer, the work Romita's doing on the faces feels incredibly rushed and somewhat unappealing). The faces were appealing, the details polished (I read a review from Santori that said it felt sketchy, and I was like, "Are you on drugs? This is the most polished I've seen from Romita Jr. in a very long time!), the action and layouts really clear.

So I'm now very excited by Romita being attached to this project. I think, perhaps, he just not as suited to the world of Batman, and his style will be much better suited to the brighter lights of Superman. And hopefully, even though he's got a ridiculous number of projects right now (Silencer, Kick Ass, and Superman Year One), this one will be his best, most polished stuff.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord