Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Sandfall View Post
    was that not the french speaking part of Canada or something? the problem was many Frenchmen regardless of where they lived felt betrayed she was now singing in English.
    Québec doesn't play with the English thing, i was there for a week and i got lost, saw a cop to ask for direction in English but i got no reply - he just stared at me blankly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Ain't no freakin' way.
    Numbers show they're bigger than Aretha. For me, the only reason why Aretha was praised and given more significance (but i'd say overacknowledge) is because of well aside from doing very well in the USA (cos im pretty sure she wasnt big in Asia), she was popularly known to be connected to Gospel Music yet records RnB music. During that time, that kind of transition is an amazing thing to happen. And since she is a Gospel singer, people claim she sings with soul.

People can claim that but it's the numbers that we can compare the level of a music artists success.

I love her songs, but I cannot determine what makes her singing songs with soul special? I can even say Whitney, Celine and Mariah has showed the true way of singing with soul.

I also am not impressed with the quality of her voice. It's really just high pitch and even Patti Labelle can do better since they both kinda have the same singing styles.

But with Celine, Mariah and Whitney, when you hear some of their songs, you really feel the emotion, and the way they sing and the beautiful voices that they have, the message of the songs transcend and becomes a part of one's soul, that the next time you hear the song again, you subconsciously know the feeling is special.

oh this thread

leaves out so much context and circumstance

Kenny G is the highest selling instrumental musician, but no one who truly knows jazz argues that he's the best jazz instrumental musician or saxophonist.

Shoot I could make an argument why Joe Flacco is more clutch and a better playoff performer than Aaron Rodgers, a ton of stats back up it..... but we all know it isn't true
    The J-man

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Kenny G is the highest selling instrumental musician, but no one who truly knows jazz argues that he's the best jazz instrumental musician or saxophonist.

Shoot I could make an argument why Joe Flacco is more clutch and a better playoff performer than Aaron Rodgers, a ton of stats back up it..... but we all know it isn't true
    Welcome to RLAAMJR. land, where if it's not supported by dollar signs then it is not relevant.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Welcome to RLAAMJR. land, where if it's not supported by dollar signs then it is not relevant.
    It's the same with comics. You have to show scans to prove something.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    It's the same with comics. You have to show scans to prove something.
    Yes. Scans from the actual comics. Not sales figures.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Ask men and they would choose Mariah over Whitney
    I'm a heterosexual man and I prefer Whitney over Mariah. That's not a disparagement of the latter, who was sexy when she was young. Whitney's looks were usually talked about more in the media, too.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I'm a heterosexual man and I prefer Whitney over Mariah. That's not a disparagement of the latter, who was sexy when she was young. Whitney's looks were usually talked about more in the media, too.
    Sorry. I was more of pointing out that guys find Mariah more attractive from head to toe. Especially in the 90s.

Again, if you look at their faces on different angles, Mariah has more good angles than Whitney.

Numbers show they're bigger than Aretha. For me, the only reason why Aretha was praised and given more significance (but i'd say overacknowledge) is because of well aside from doing very well in the USA (cos im pretty sure she wasnt big in Asia), she was popularly known to be connected to Gospel Music yet records RnB music. During that time, that kind of transition is an amazing thing to happen. And since she is a Gospel singer, people claim she sings with soul.

People can claim that but it's the numbers that we can compare the level of a music artists success.
    The problem is Aretha would have sold far more records during The Three's era than she did in her own, RLAAMJR (God knows how many more records and achievements Elvis and the Beatles would have had if they began their careers in this century). Conversely, The Three would have sold far fewer records during the '60s and '70s. Therefore, comparing all four without any context is, at the very least, problematic.

Sorry. I was more of pointing out that guys find Mariah more attractive from head to toe. Especially in the 90s.

Again, if you look at their faces on different angles, Mariah has more good angles than Whitney.
    This all subjective, though. To my eyes, Whitney was the prettiest and will always be to me.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

If Celine wore heels while Mariah and Whitney were in their bare feet, then she would be bigger.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

The problem is Aretha would have sold far more records during The Three's era than she did in her own, RLAAMJR (God knows how many more records and achievements Elvis and the Beatles would have had if they began their careers in this century). Conversely, The Three would have sold far fewer records during the '60s and '70s. Therefore, comparing all four without any context is, at the very least, problematic.
    The Beatles, Elvis Presley have started around 50s 60s but they have become two of the best selling music artists of all time.

How come Aretha couldnt?

Either The Vocal Trinity started during Aretha's time or Aretha started in the 90s, Aretha becomes a background character.

Checking this link will give us an idea that you can sell a lot of albums in the 70s and 80s too. http://chartmasters.org/2018/02/data...ts-per-decade/

Aretha started becoming huge in 1967.

Check how Aretha's albums and singles charted worldwide: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aret...in_discography

If you've checked the link, her album charts and single charts arent really doing well. In fact, it would show that she's actually just popular in America and to a lesser extent, Canada.

But Celine, Mariah and Whitney were successful worldwide. And they weren't just successful worldwide, they were making very, very impressive numbers. They were breaking records in their own way. They showed the world that the women ruled the 90s.

Aretha only had 2 #1 singles in the us billboard hot 100. having only 2 sounds luck to me. Celine had four #1s (which is understandable because she was doing better than Mariah and Whitney in Europe) , Whitney has 11 and Mariah has 18.

Celine, Mariah and Whitney did not just get on top. Them toppin on something were extraordinary, record-breaking. Beating not just other female music artists but males and bands too,
    Last edited by RLAAMJR.; 03-16-2018 at 04:58 AM.

The Beatles, Elvis Presley have started around 50s 60s but they have become two of the best selling music artists of all time.

How come Aretha couldnt?

Either The Vocal Trinity started during Aretha's time or Aretha started in the 90s, Aretha becomes a background character.

Checking this link will give us an idea that you can sell a lot of albums in the 70s and 80s too. http://chartmasters.org/2018/02/data...ts-per-decade/

Aretha started becoming huge in 1967.

Check how Aretha's albums and singles charted worldwide: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aret...in_discography

If you've checked the link, her album charts and single charts arent really doing well. In fact, it would show that she's actually just popular in America and to a lesser extent, Canada.

But Celine, Mariah and Whitney were successful worldwide. And they weren't just successful worldwide, they were making very, very impressive numbers. They were breaking records in their own way. They showed the world that the women ruled the 90s.

Aretha only had 2 #1 singles in the us billboard hot 100. having only 2 sounds luck to me. Celine had four #1s (which is understandable because she was doing better than Mariah and Whitney in Europe) , Whitney has 11 and Mariah has 18.

Celine, Mariah and Whitney did not just get on top. Them toppin on something were extraordinary, record-breaking. Beating not just other female music artists but males and bands too,
    Context. Context. Context.

You can't compare artists from different eras without it. It's like saying milk has to be so much better than it was when my parents were babies in the '40s because it costs so much more today. The fact is a lot of the achievement records that you tout for more recent stars wouldn't have been possible 50 years ago. It doesn't mean giants walked the Earth back then, but it does mean the business has changed.

Yep. And I'm a heterosexual man too. (Also cys, white and French... Nobody's perfect! )
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

I'm not even sure that Céline Dion or Mariah Carey would like to see that case pleaded. Whitney Houston wouldn't have agreed that she could be bigger than Aretha. She knew what matters. She knew History. And what soul means. I'm pretty sure Carey and Dion would think the same. And I'd respect them more for that.
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !