Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 123
  1. #106
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Inside Storm's heart
    Posts
    27,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Context. Context. Context.

    You can't compare artists from different eras without it. It's like saying milk has to be so much better than it was when my parents were babies in the '40s because it costs so much more today. The fact is a lot of the achievement records that you tout for more recent stars wouldn't have been possible 50 years ago. It doesn't mean giants walked the Earth back then, but it does mean the business has changed.
    I get your point but we can't stop anybody in making their own lists of greatest female music artists and I simply won't agree that Aretha ranks higher than the three.

    And can we talk about voice quality especially Aretha's voice? For me, her voice sounds fine but nothing special but I am impress that she can hit higher notes confidently than the Vocal Trinity.

  2. #107
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Inside Storm's heart
    Posts
    27,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    I'm not even sure that Céline Dion or Mariah Carey would like to see that case pleaded. Whitney Houston wouldn't have agreed that she could be bigger than Aretha. She knew what matters. She knew History. And what soul means. I'm pretty sure Carey and Dion would think the same. And I'd respect them more for that.
    So how does singing in soul sounds like? Or is it the style Aretha when singing her songs? Or is it actually just seeing Aretha feeling the song, closing her eyes or doing hand gestures, what is it?

    Cos Ive seen the Vocal Trinity done better.

  3. #108
    DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    I get your point but we can't stop anybody in making their own lists of greatest female music artists and I simply won't agree that Aretha ranks higher than the three.

    And can we talk about voice quality especially Aretha's voice? For me, her voice sounds fine but nothing special but I am impress that she can hit higher notes confidently than the Vocal Trinity.
    If you don't like Aretha better than the other three, that's fine. If we were also using "real" sales for the four, she may still also lag behind the others (though it would be close, regardless). But what I, respectfully, disagree with is pointing to a stat out of context to proclaim this or that artist as the more popular. You can, of course, but it's bad statistical analysis, IMO.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

    Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

    Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

  4. #109
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Inside Storm's heart
    Posts
    27,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    If you don't like Aretha better than the other three, that's fine. If we were also using "real" sales for the four, she may still also lag behind the others (though it would be close, regardless). But what I, respectfully, disagree with is pointing to a stat out of context to proclaim this or that artist as the more popular. You can, of course, but it's bad statistical analysis, IMO.
    Actually, I should be technically right. Bigger sales mean more people bought. Also the vocal trinity's era was easier to promote their music worldwide due to more televisions, etc. And more people know them more (especially due to more and bigger hits) than Aretha.

    Oh and don't interchange "greater" and "more popular"
    Last edited by RLAAMJR.; 03-16-2018 at 09:54 AM.

  5. #110
    DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Actually, I should be technically right. Bigger sales mean more people bought. Also the vocal trinity's era was easier to promote their music worldwide due to more televisions, etc. And more people know them more (especially due to more and bigger hits) than Aretha.
    There are countless more people in the world today than there were 50 years ago. Do you think it's remotely fair not to take that account in your evaluation? Again, that's just improper stat analysis.

    Oh and don't interchange "greater" and "more popular"
    More popular does not necessarily mean greater, though, since greatness is subjective (though my favorite singer and group happen to be in the top two for worldwide sales). That shouldn't even be debatable.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

    Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

    Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

  6. #111
    Astonishing Member dancj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,725

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Ask men and they would choose Mariah over Whitney
    Not me.

  7. #112
    DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Not me.
    Well, I guess more racist men would prefer Mariah (yes, I know about her own ancestry) over Whitney.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

    Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

    Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

  8. #113
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    19,145

    Default

    Does anybody know of a site that would list the heights and weights of these three so we could know which one is "bigger"?

    (No comments about how tall and how heavy dead people are, please.)

  9. #114

    Default

    Nobody is really arguing against Celine Dion?

    Huh.

    Back in my day all we did was talk about how much we hated Celine Dion. (Although I never had much of an opinion either way. She never did anything I found offensive, she never did anything I would chose to listen too.)

    She is, technically, a very good singer, but...

    I'm far from an expert on Celine Dion but it seems like..

    (A) She has an extremely limited range of song topics. (Love songs, also love songs, and love songs.)

    (B) As a performer she's incapable of humor, sarcasm, subtlety or lust. All her songs don't sound the same, but they all serve the same function; overwrought songs about eternal love, unchallenging and predictable.

    (C) She's a rhythmically boring singer. She hits NOTES perfectly but she also tends to hit note-lengths perfectly. Each quarter note takes exactly 1/4 th of the measure, and she can't swing or groove.

    (D) Her choices of words and syllables to emphasize while singing are boring and predictable. Contrast with Whitney Houston who is great at finding surprising and interesting ways to deliver her vocal lines.

    (E) She sold a lot of albums because (A) EuroVision is a major boost, (B) she's not just BI but MULTI-lingual, and (C) there are a lot of people who don't really like music much, and just want unchallenging background music.

    Although googling around it seems like she's still really popular (I had no idea!) she has a passionate fanbase, she's made some attempts to update her sound, and (IMO) she has vassssttly improved as a vocalist in recent years and she is kind of cool for the first time ever. Good for her!

    (And am I the only one who read Carl Wilson's "Let's Talk About Love: Why Other People Have Such Bad Taste? It talks about how Celine Dion is a really important, inspirational figure to French-Speaking Canadians, and how controversial that is, and how the bland image she cultivated in America is really not true.)

  10. #115
    Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Northwest UK
    Posts
    3,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reptisaurus! View Post
    Nobody is really arguing against Celine Dion?

    Huh.

    Back in my day all we did was talk about how much we hated Celine Dion. (Although I never had much of an opinion either way. She never did anything I found offensive, she never did anything I would chose to listen too.)

    She is, technically, a very good singer, but...

    I'm far from an expert on Celine Dion but it seems like..

    (A) She has an extremely limited range of song topics. (Love songs, also love songs, and love songs.)

    (B) As a performer she's incapable of humor, sarcasm, subtlety or lust. All her songs don't sound the same, but they all serve the same function; overwrought songs about eternal love, unchallenging and predictable.

    (C) She's a rhythmically boring singer. She hits NOTES perfectly but she also tends to hit note-lengths perfectly. Each quarter note takes exactly 1/4 th of the measure, and she can't swing or groove.

    (D) Her choices of words and syllables to emphasize while singing are boring and predictable. Contrast with Whitney Houston who is great at finding surprising and interesting ways to deliver her vocal lines.

    (E) She sold a lot of albums because (A) EuroVision is a major boost, (B) she's not just BI but MULTI-lingual, and (C) there are a lot of people who don't really like music much, and just want unchallenging background music.

    Although googling around it seems like she's still really popular (I had no idea!) she has a passionate fanbase, she's made some attempts to update her sound, and (IMO) she has vassssttly improved as a vocalist in recent years and she is kind of cool for the first time ever. Good for her!

    (And am I the only one who read Carl Wilson's "Let's Talk About Love: Why Other People Have Such Bad Taste? It talks about how Celine Dion is a really important, inspirational figure to French-Speaking Canadians, and how controversial that is, and how the bland image she cultivated in America is really not true.)
    A month ago, all those points might have been the basis for some fighting talk .

    You'll be pretty safe as is though.

  11. #116
    Extraordinary Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,870

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    A month ago, all those points might have been the basis for some fighting talk .

    You'll be pretty safe as is though.
    I did not know poor RLAAM was banned. What happened, did somebody insult Celine or Storm? Who'll keep us current in popular music now!
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  12. #117
    Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Northwest UK
    Posts
    3,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I did not know poor RLAAM was banned. What happened, did somebody insult Celine or Storm? Who'll keep us current in popular music now!
    Yeah, I think he'd gone a little too far with all his pop threads and the like. He was inundating the Community Board with them at one stage. I actually complained about it on the CBR Chat thread although I certainly didn't want to see him get banned. As much as anything else it was a request for a Music forum where stuff like that would be a little more apt.

    I'm sure he'll be back soon, undimmed in his Celine Dion worship.

  13. #118
    DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Yeah, I think he'd gone a little too far with all his pop threads and the like. He was inundating the Community Board with them at one stage. I actually complained about it on the CBR Chat thread although I certainly didn't want to see him get banned. As much as anything else it was a request for a Music forum where stuff like that would be a little more apt.

    I'm sure he'll be back soon, undimmed in his Celine Dion worship.
    I won't go into specifics, but I can say his permabanning had nothing to do with any of his music threads.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

    Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

    Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

  14. #119
    Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Northwest UK
    Posts
    3,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I won't go into specifics, but I can say his permabanning had nothing to do with any of his music threads.
    Ah, right. I see. Interesting.

    It's a shame when that happens but 'them's the breaks' as they say.

  15. #120
    Extraordinary Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,870

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I won't go into specifics, but I can say his permabanning had nothing to do with any of his music threads.
    Oh, permabanned! Too bad. I guess his passion got the better of him on another thread.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •