Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default ECCC Marvel Next Big thing Everything Said About X-Men

From CBR & Newsarama
    Soule talked the upcoming Hunt for Wolverine one-shot, the follow-up to 2014’s Death of Wolverine, which will be written by Soule and illustrated by recent Defenders artist David Marquez. That leads to four separate miniseries, which “will have different sections of the Marvel Universe looking for [Wolverine].

Adamantium Agenda is an action-adventure story Soule called something of a nostalgia play, as it stars many of Wolverine’s former New Avengers co-stars. Claws of the Killer is a “straight-up horror book.” Soule said Mystery in Madripoor is “not a romance book, but it doesn’t shy away from the legacy Wolverine has with people like Storm, for example.” Weapon Lost, written by Soule and illustrated by Matteo Buffagni, is a detective story.

Brisson discussed Old Man Logan and Iron Fist. Old Man Logan will see the title character “trying to cope,” and almost going into semi-retirement. He’s looking to “figure out where he fits in the Marvel Universe,” especially with the original Wolverine back.

Rosenberg then moved to the New Mutants: Dead Souls miniseries, illustrated by Adam Gorham and Michael Garland, which debuts on March 14. “It’s a little different than I think people have been getting from X-Men books lately,” Rosenberg said. “They’re not exactly superheroes. They’re investigating paranormal events.”

Rosenberg dismissed the idea that since something is a miniseries, that means it doesn’t “matter.” “Status quos are changing in big ways,” the writer said of Dead Souls. “There are going to be a lot of other cameos and surprise appearances. It’s a really wild roller coaster. It’s this strange, conspiracy, creepy, slow-build, horror adventure book. It’s not like anything else I’ve ever done.”

Transitioning to fan Q&A, the first question was how Wolverine will fit in with Laura Kinney established as Wolverine, and Old Man Logan still a major part of the Marvel Universe. “I will say that the minis are focused on the hunt for Wolverine,” Soule said, but they’ve been keenly aware from the start of how All-New Wolverine and Old Man Logan have been received, and they’ve been discussing since then how best to handle the situation.

In another question on Hunt for Wolverine, a fan asked how Wolverine will react to find out that the universe has been rewritten as a result of Secret Wars. “That happened to every character in the Marvel Universe,” Soule answered. Comics being comics, there are a lot of things you have to be, ‘OK, that happened, I can’t dwell too much.’ I think he’ll wake up and be surprised to hear about all the things he missed. It would be fun just to write him reading the news while he was dead."

In the last question of the panel, a fan asked what Marvel character they’d most like to work on. Rosenberg: Said he wants to write a core X-Men book. Cates: “I want to write Thor.” Brisson named Speedball — because he wants someone to deliver on the potential of the character.

Soule talked about the return of Wolverine and he is excited to bring him back. He talked about how Wolverine escaped the statue he was encased in but the Hunt for Wolverine won't explain where he is now. The first one is called the Adamantium Agenda, that is the New Avengers looking for him. Second is Mystery in Madripoor, which features Domino, Kitty, and some mystery characters. That will be written by Jim Zub. Third one is Claws of the Killer, this is a "straight up horror book".

You don't have to read all of it, but if you do, you will have a comprehensive clue to where Wolverine is," said Soule.

Ed Brisson talks about Old Man Logan and how he's grinding him down a bit. "He's getting weaker and how that sort of affects who he is."
    "He's trying to cope and almost doing this semi-retirement. So we're doing a lot of cool stories where we're putting him up against some really cool bad guys like Bullseye."
    He's trying to figure out why his injuries are so bad now because he has some permanent scars now.

On to New Mutants six issue series. "They're not exactly superheroes, but exploring the world, seeking out weird stuff. There's a much bigger conspiracy to this that feeds back to classic New Mutant stuff that I think fans will love."
    Though sticking to the big 5 on the cover, there will be cameos later on. "This is also something I've never done. I feel like the X-Men work best when they are sent to those weird creepy corners of the Marvel Universe."
    They're not Blue, Gold, or Astonishing...they're trying to find their place in the world," Rosenberg said.

Fans line up for Q&A, but before the panelists are asked their favorite X-Man is, Cates said Maggot, Soule said Psylocke, Burrows said the Exiles team or Magneto, Anka said Cannonball, Brisson said Wolverine, Rosenberg said Havok.

Shan said Jubilee.

Will Boom Boom's appearance in New Mutants be inspired by Next Wave? "Yeah this is her post Next Wave. It's an amalgam of everything she's been."

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I feel so bad for Old Man Logan, everything in his future feels so depressing.

BANNED

Thanks for the linkage!

Thanks for posting this.

Not a whole lot of major revelations, but still plenty to look forward to. It seems as though the X-office is taking a steady approach to bringing Logan back in the fold. I also get the sense that they're steadily preparing to phase out Old Man Logan in some way. At some point, his old age is going to catch up to him. I hope they give him a proper send-off before bringing Logan back into the main X-books. He's done plenty to earn it.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Not a whole lot of major revelations, but still plenty to look forward to. It seems as though the X-office is taking a steady approach to bringing Logan back in the fold. I also get the sense that they're steadily preparing to phase out Old Man Logan in some way. At some point, his old age is going to catch up to him. I hope they give him a proper send-off before bringing Logan back into the main X-books. He's done plenty to earn it.
    It really seems so, and it makes complete sense, but I'm kind of skeptical tbh. They had soooo many chances to send the O5 home, there's been plenty of times where people felt it was gonna happen, and still nothing.
    Last edited by Wiccan; 03-04-2018 at 02:02 PM.

Doesn't seem like much of anything was said. I wonder if that does mean that the big news for the X-men will come in July (although I still don't know how people were saying that initially). Wonder if we'll get actual news at Chicago then.

It seems not just fans but even Soule forgot that Astonishing still exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    It really seems so, and it makes complete sense, but I'm kind of skeptical tbh. They had soooo many chances to send the O5 home, there's been plenty of times where people felt it was gonna happen, and still nothing.
    So much almost happens or happens and then doesn't, and the pending fate of the 05 is telling of Marvel's lack of will and/or followthrough and/or vision.

All this Paranormal Investigative Mystery Horror sounds like an Americanized seinen manga X-Files. Or more or less like that (again and again) retreat back through the X arches status quo that uses the whole light dark horror in spandex vibe to appease, appeal and settle back into securities: from the Scream generation via the Lost Boys dads, for the Stranger Things crowd.

These descriptions and premises appear to be a means for sidestepping the diversity and impactful social realism that Marvel may have or may have not openly said were hurting their sales and offending their core fanbase...it's not that these titles can't or won't be good, it's just that - well, this isn't 'me' their turning toward and I get the feeling the X-Men franchise will forever be appeasing to the same old self-fulfilling formulas of 'what are the kids of the kids we HAD into now' thing...which isn't far from that same dumb old tree in the backyard through the fence of that 'good' neighborhood where 'everybody' isn't allowed in.

At a certain point it's hard not to see sales as the real barrier here. Once a franchise is established, it's established. The Golden Arches are meant to mean something very specific, everywhere, anywhere and forever.
    Last edited by sungila; 03-04-2018 at 02:34 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRlrus View Post
    Doesn't seem like much of anything was said. I wonder if that does mean that the big news for the X-men will come in July (although I still don't know how people were saying that initially). Wonder if we'll get actual news at Chicago then.
    I hope we won't have to wait that long. Marvel has been revealing new books/creative teams steadily, one per day, for the past week. Accounting for the many more characters they have and assuming they will keep the X-Men for last or thereabouts, I would expect to have concrete news about the Fresh Start for the X-books by the end of March at the latest. I'll go out on a limb and say the last book revealed is going to be Fantastic Four, so X-Men news in 2/3 weeks tops seems reasonable.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    I hope we won't have to wait that long. Marvel has been revealing new books/creative teams steadily, one per day, for the past week. Accounting for the many more characters they have and assuming they will keep the X-Men for last or thereabouts, I would expect to have concrete news about the Fresh Start for the X-books by the end of March at the latest. I'll go out on a limb and say the last book revealed is going to be Fantastic Four, so X-Men news in 2/3 weeks tops seems reasonable.
    Unless the X-ongoings start in June, you won't hear about them anytime soon.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    I don't know... if Marvel keeps announcing one "Fresh Start" a day like they have been doing, it would be weird for them to stop when it's the mutants' turn. I guess we'll see if the trend continues from tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    If it is in july, I'd imagine we'd start hearing about any new X-books late March/early April. They won't have nearly as much to announce if its just the X-line they'd be focusing on.

They’re already announcing July books. Amazing Spider-Man and Captain America are both in July. If the new books are coming in August then we may have to wait, but I doubt that will be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    It seems not just fans but even Soule forgot that Astonishing still exists.
    It's not really a "Next Big Thing." It's just sort of.. there.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    "Life of Captain Marvel" mini got announced for July.