Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: James Tynion IV

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm enjoying his JLD, and he has a good handle on Diana, although I'm not sure I'd describe her as "fun" with what has been going on...

I can't see him writing a Zatanna book that's not a horror comic. Which, okay, maybe that would work but I think she needs to be fun again...

I think JLD is a better team book then his 'Tec run, honestly.
    I meant fun insofar as I'm enjoying her adventures in that book most. Her time in there is a awful for her, but it's effectively a horror team book. Par the course.

Going horror with Zee may give her niche a bit more selling power. Books that are more fun typically don't sell too well, so while I'd love to read a funner take on Zee, I also want the book to survive twelve issues, so if it means we get a more horror focused solo, I'll take it. Both can work for her.

I agree. He's matured a lot since then, but given his recent form in JL/JLD, I think he's really come into his own compared to where he was.

Mighty Member

He's doing a bang up job on Batman, the whole designer storyline with the Joker, Riddler, Penguin, Catwoman and Deathstroke alongside other assassins has been phenomenal, and Justice League Dark was my favourite running DC series a while back.

I definitely would love to see him write a Zatanna series, fingers crossed.

Enjoyed his Batman/Turtles title and JLD. His Batman is not grabbing me. All the new characters are just overkill. It feels desperate to piggyback off the current hotties Joker and Harley.

It doesn't help that I'm kind of tried of Joker/jokerlike characters so him doing a huge Joker thing right now isn't helping keep my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I meant fun insofar as I'm enjoying her adventures in that book most. Her time in there is a awful for her, but it's effectively a horror team book. Par the course.

Going horror with Zee may give her niche a bit more selling power. Books that are more fun typically don't sell too well, so while I'd love to read a funner take on Zee, I also want the book to survive twelve issues, so if it means we get a more horror focused solo, I'll take it. Both can work for her.

I agree. He's matured a lot since then, but given his recent form in JL/JLD, I think he's really come into his own compared to where he was.
    I don't think horror!Zatanna would be as popular as normal Zatanna. I don't think she works as well in that environment as other supernatural/mystic characters. She's too much part of the light.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think horror!Zatanna would be as popular as normal Zatanna. I don't think she works as well in that environment as other supernatural/mystic characters. She's too much part of the light.
    That's fair. I'm probably not able to shake the poor sales of her last run by Dini and his fill in writer which was a more normal take on Zee. Even with those stunning Hughes covers, it was struggling.

I liked his run on Hellblazer so I'd be down with him exploring the mystic side of the DCU more.