Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: James Tynion IV

Spectacular Member

Default James Tynion IV

Not Batman content because he's moving Justice League. His Detective comics run which seems to be mostly praised was in my opinion one of the best runs on a Bat title as well as a team book in general that I have read in years. I'm genuinely excited to see what he brings to his KL team. I hope he becomes a big enough name that he gets the opportunity to handle a major event. His emotional resonance and character work reminds me of Johns.

I'm glad for you that you enjoy his work, but I can't say I'm pleased with him still working at dc. To me, his writing is fan fiction level at most. I completely dropped Tec because of his boring ideas and I don't think he really found each character's voice. Granted, some of the emotional content sometimes works, but even the worst writer can have some not so bad moments. There are some writers whose work I will always read just because they wrote it, but Tynion is in the other category for me. I have yet to read something by him that made me think he has something interesting to tell.

I haven't liked anything he wrote, I gave up with Batman and Robin forever, his work is too much unearned melodrama.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

I don't like his writing, poor charcterization, cahotic plots and agree with who's saying he can't found character's voice.
    i'm a huge Tim Drake fan, as Tynion is, and his Tim is one of the worst i've ever read.
    I'm sorry but I find him overrated.

BANNED

What's funny is that if you only looked here, you'd think that Tynion was one of the most hated men in comics, with only a handful of defenders. But if you look at his Twitter or instagram, people just ADORE him and his work.

BANNED

Who isn't adored on Twitter? That place gives you all the tools you need to remove any unsavory contents and posters.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

While I'm glad you enjoy his work I simply never have cared much for it and nothing he's done for several years now has been appealing to me. A lot of people praise his work on 'Tec to high heaven but I thought every aspect of it was pretty poorly handled and I can't stand his smug, perfect, superior portrayal of Tim Drake. I didn't think anyone to ruin the character even more than he already was by the N52 reboot but somehow Tynion has managed it. and he's supposed to be a big fan of the character. I'm sitting out this JL nonsense because I don't generally follow events anyway and because of the not so dynamic duo of Snyder and Tynion. Once its over I will continue to avoid whatever books he's put on like the plague.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

BANNED

He's a mixed bag for me. Nice of Snyder to give one of his student's a gig at DC though

I love his Detective and find him a much better writer than Williamson, Vendetti, or Abnett, who are all only fair to middling for me. Tynion is one of the better writers at DC lately IMO. I'd rank him behind King, Priest, Way (Doom Patrol) and Russell (Flintstones, Snagglepuss), but not too many others.

I know it's not a popular opinion here but I've loved his Detective and only felt it got slow at all during the League of Shadows stuff (that stuff has always put me to sleep be it League of Shadows or of Assassins - the al Ghul's are so played out to me anymore). The latest issue was like candy to me. I saw a review of that issue that recommended it if you prefer to see these characters talking to punching. I feel like there's been plenty of great action in 'Tec with Tynion but when he goes deeper with character studies I feel like he really excels.

I know that others feel he writes these characters 'out-of-character,' but I've never felt that way. I feel like he knows and loves the characters a lot and does them great justice. I'll miss his Detective run but I'm very happy to have him on a Justice League title if that's actually happening. Or a Titans one.

As a kid I LOVED the title Batman Family. And I feel like Tynion's run on Detective is the closest thing to Batman Family we've had since Batman Family. I love the way he writes teams as evidenced in 'Tec so I'm very bullish on his next team book. So much more so than I am for Snyder's take (though I was a fan of his Batman run) or for Williamson's.

I'm mixed, at least he gave Tim, Cass, Steph, and Jean Paul a home. He just doesn't have a good handle on Tim as he thinks he does. At least he was able to bring Tim's original origin back.

I've liked some of his stories and appreciate his love for certain characters even if I also have issue with some of his stories and his writing to a degree.

Bumping this to express my appreciation for this guy.

Recently dove into Detective Comics for the first time and his first six issues were very good, at least to the uninitiated. I'm now four issues into his Justice League: Dark and I'm floored by how exciting and intriguing the story is... There simply haven't been a lot of team arcs in the last half decade I've been super happy with, but Tynion is definitely scratching that itch for me.

I appreciate Tynion because he is one of the few competent big writers at DC that understands it's better to play with the newer toys and properties than to go full nostalgic fanservice, and he knows how to actually hone in on the different characters' individual voices; even if he's not doing anything necessarily revolutionary with them. I always found the "fan fiction" criticism odd because if we are lobbing that accusation at Tynion I'm confused as to why that isn't the case with any writer that's clearly a fan of these characters. like Geoff Johns, patron saint of these nerds, the entirety of Doomsday Clock reads like bad Superman x Watchmen fanfiction.

and that's not me bagging on Johns to prop up Tynion, I recognize that Johns is a legendary writer at this point and the difference in clout and prestige, but he is a far more egregious example of a fanfic writer than Tynion imo.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Winghead View Post
    Not Batman content because he's moving Justice League. His Detective comics run which seems to be mostly praised was in my opinion one of the best runs on a Bat title as well as a team book in general that I have read in years. I'm genuinely excited to see what he brings to his KL team. I hope he becomes a big enough name that he gets the opportunity to handle a major event. His emotional resonance and character work reminds me of Johns.
    I agree with that, I know Tynion has his detractors here but for my money he is a far stronger writer then the likes of Tom King, Bendis etc. and I appreciate his respect for the Bat-family (in DETECTIVE he made Tim Drake recognisable as a character for the first time since before the NEW 52 and developed Clayface in intriguing ways, he also wrote an intriguing Diana in the pages of JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK and I have yet to find a story of his which I do not enjoy).

I'm very much looking forward to picking up his BATMAN run in TPB (I only read the main bat-title in TPB form and I actually had to rop Tom King's after finding it depressing to read).

So far i read some of his run on Tec and Batman and he's decent. I preferred him on Justice League Dark more.

I like reading his newsletter and his creator owned stuff.