Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
I always found the "fan fiction" criticism odd because if we are lobbing that accusation at Tynion I'm confused as to why that isn't the case with any writer that's clearly a fan of these characters. like Geoff Johns, patron saint of these nerds, the entirety of Doomsday Clock reads like bad Superman x Watchmen fanfiction.

and that's not me bagging on Johns to prop up Tynion, I recognize that Johns is a legendary writer at this point and the difference in clout and prestige, but he is a far more egregious example of a fanfic writer than Tynion imo.
Indeed... It's safe to say that >95% (I would hope) of DC writers were huge fans of the characters/universe before they started writing for DC, so my only thought as to why the "fan fiction" label would be applied was if his writing quality was deemed closer to an amateur than a professional/career writer.

So far, he comes off as an excellent writer, metaphor and exposition coming very naturally to him... He is also able to demonstrate a character's personality and attributes without directly telling us what they are. His arcs are pretty long, so I have yet to see how he ends stories, but I'm really happy with his abilities so far.