Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: James Tynion IV

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I always found the "fan fiction" criticism odd because if we are lobbing that accusation at Tynion I'm confused as to why that isn't the case with any writer that's clearly a fan of these characters. like Geoff Johns, patron saint of these nerds, the entirety of Doomsday Clock reads like bad Superman x Watchmen fanfiction.

and that's not me bagging on Johns to prop up Tynion, I recognize that Johns is a legendary writer at this point and the difference in clout and prestige, but he is a far more egregious example of a fanfic writer than Tynion imo.
    Indeed... It's safe to say that >95% (I would hope) of DC writers were huge fans of the characters/universe before they started writing for DC, so my only thought as to why the "fan fiction" label would be applied was if his writing quality was deemed closer to an amateur than a professional/career writer.

So far, he comes off as an excellent writer, metaphor and exposition coming very naturally to him... He is also able to demonstrate a character's personality and attributes without directly telling us what they are. His arcs are pretty long, so I have yet to see how he ends stories, but I'm really happy with his abilities so far.

Quote Originally Posted by James Hunter View Post
    I agree with that, I know Tynion has his detractors here but for my money he is a far stronger writer then the likes of Tom King, Bendis etc. and I appreciate his respect for the Bat-family (in DETECTIVE he made Tim Drake recognisable as a character for the first time since before the NEW 52 and developed Clayface in intriguing ways, he also wrote an intriguing Diana in the pages of JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK and I have yet to find a story of his which I do not enjoy).
    I agree to a certain point before he started making Tim into a hacking/tech god that just seemed a little too much...

Extraordinary Member

Tynion has certainly been killing it on Batman so far. I recently just jumped on in anticipation of Joker War and I have to say, he's been able to make Batman into one of the most enjoyable titles at DC again. It honestly feels like old-school 90s Batman, which is some of the best Batman comics out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    Tynion has certainly been killing it on Batman so far. I recently just jumped on in anticipation of Joker War and I have to say, he's been able to make Batman into one of the most enjoyable titles at DC again. It honestly feels like old-school 90s Batman, which is some of the best Batman comics out there.
    Batman isn't perfect, but damn, it's a lot of fun. Espeically after the borefest that was Tom King's run.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

I've only read his Justice League Dark which I've enjoyed for the most part. Wouldn't mind if he took over the Wonder Woman book or got a chance to write a Zatanna series based off from what I've read from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    got a chance to write a Zatanna series based off from what I've read from there.
    This would be very cool.

I've only read his Justice League Dark which I've enjoyed for the most part. Wouldn't mind if he took over the Wonder Woman book or got a chance to write a Zatanna series based off from what I've read from there.
    I feel like after Justice League Dark the next Zatanna series should be a fun pallet cleanser from all the drama Zee's had to deal with...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I agree to a certain point before he started making Tim into a hacking/tech god that just seemed a little too much...
    That was a thing before Tynion came in. It mostly evolved from his detective skills, but became more prominent when Damian was introduced and the writers tried hard to push each ex-Robin into specific roles. The hacker skills started to play more of a role in some of the Red Robin issues, but were very present when they switched over to the New 52.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    That was a thing before Tynion came in. It mostly evolved from his detective skills, but became more prominent when Damian was introduced and the writers tried hard to push each ex-Robin into specific roles. The hacker skills started to play more of a role in some of the Red Robin issues, but were very present when they switched over to the New 52.
    I get that, and it was a carryover from Lobdell, but I think Tynion should have done a better job of toning it down.

Astonishing Member

his Tec run is my favorite run by anyone on a bat book in ages, I wish they would have kept him and that team/concept longer.

Quote Originally Posted by noisebloom View Post
    This would be very cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like after Justice League Dark the next Zatanna series should be a fun pallet cleanser from all the drama Zee's had to deal with...
    Yes, I would like another Zatanna series in the vein of the old Dini one.

Well honestly I really enjoy his work, to me he is one of those writers who can really writer "in" a universe like the DC universe instead of just a corner of it. As others have said I really enjoyed his work on Detective Comics and JLD.

....Also Batman/TMNT was awesome.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Every title isn't for every writer. I am a Geoff mark, love his takes on the Legion, the JSA and of course GL, but his Superman was meh to me. I truly loved Snyder's American Vampire but was meh on his Batman and didn't like his JLA. The thing I like a Tynion is that he brought back some really cool Batman concepts lost in the new 52 reboot, like a cool version of Cassie and the JPV Azrael. Felt like how Johns 'rebirthed' some aspects of the GL universe that were lost during the Kyle era.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Yeah, I'm with you. He's been writing the most consistently fun Wonder Woman since JLD launched. That's not a dig at other writers, mind, but I've been enjoying his work on JLD. He's got a great handle on magic at DC and making it feel interested rather than some esoteric mess or trinkets that let Bat characters stomp cosmic threats without needing much legwork that does tend to happen with some writers.

I'd adore a Zatanna ongoing again and Tynion's shown he can handle her voice and corner of the universe. Easily in the short list for writing her.

His issues on Snyder's Justice League read the best, even if the biggest stuff wasn't happening there, it felt like he really had a better grasp on what he was going for. Hell, JLD has been consistently better than JL/JLO the entire run.

He has his faults, certainly. Really hate Bruce having Harley in the Batcave under pretty much any circumstance and I do question how he turned Tim into, well, fleshy Cyborg with how competent he was at technological feats (and I'm a Tim fan, mind). Everything about Joker War is one long eyeroll. At times, it feels like he plays a bit too precious with his characters, but that's not unique to him.

Overall? He shows that he's not afraid of events and can handle big team books with the A-to-D list characters very well. He's an asset to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yeah, I'm with you. He's been writing the most consistently fun Wonder Woman since JLD launched. That's not a dig at other writers, mind, but I've been enjoying his work on JLD. He's got a great handle on magic at DC and making it feel interested rather than some esoteric mess or trinkets that let Bat characters stomp cosmic threats without needing much legwork that does tend to happen with some writers.
    I'm enjoying his JLD, and he has a good handle on Diana, although I'm not sure I'd describe her as "fun" with what has been going on...
    I'd adore a Zatanna ongoing again and Tynion's shown he can handle her voice and corner of the universe. Easily in the short list for writing her.
    I can't see him writing a Zatanna book that's not a horror comic. Which, okay, maybe that would work but I think she needs to be fun again...
    Overall? He shows that he's not afraid of events and can handle big team books with the A-to-D list characters very well. He's an asset to be sure.
    I think JLD is a better team book then his 'Tec run, honestly.