Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Avengers #682 (Review/SPOILERS)

It's Part 8 of No Surrender and things are heating up nicely.

For me, this was the best installment so far. Maybe it's because of all the Hawkeye goodness we got this issue. Maybe not. Either way, it was a very good chapter in this massive tale.

****SPOILERS!!!!!****

Like the other issues, this one is narrated by one character - in this case, it's Red Wolf, Hawkeye's teammate from Occupy Avengers.

The two have stuck together and they arrive on the scene in New Mexico as the splintered Avengers team battles the Lethal Legion.

Meanwhile, Hank and Nadia are by Jarvis' bedside in a Manhattan hospital, doing their best to discover what's afflicting the team's loyal butler. Hank spots an alien pathogen existing on a quantum level. Avengers who've traveled off world may have been carrying the pathogen benignly, unknowingly infecting Jarvis. Hank believes that Nadia's blood is the key to developing a vaccine for Jarvis.

On the battlefield in NM, as the powered combatants continue to tear into each other, Red Wolf stands back observing, trying to see his path in this melee. He sees and studies the glowing pyramoid that all the players are fighting for and he knows what he has to do. He asks Clint to give him cover as he goes to collect the prize. When Clint protests that Johnny died when he touched a pyramoid, Red Wolf assures Clint that he knows what he's doing and that if he vanishes from this place, that he will find his way back.

Clint trusts him and give Red Wolf the opening he needs to make it to the pyramoid.

Sure enough, Red Wolf is zapped away. A shocked Falcon accuses Clint of being callous in letting his friend die. Clint corrects Sam by telling him Red Wolf isn't his friend, he's his brother and that not only does he not believe that Red Wolf is dead but that, wherever he is, Johnny is surely there too.

In the Grandmaster's Game Room, the Grandmaster and the Challenger sees another player join their frozen comrades. Having the advantage in the game, the Grandmaster claims the final pyramoid - the pyramoid of the soul. He places it in a strategic location - the hospital where Jarvis is recuperating, knowing that the Avengers will arrive in force to protect that location.

At the hospital, Jarvis regains consciousness, whispering to Nadia: "...It's a lie..." only to immediately start to flatline.

To counter the Grandmaster's play, the Challenger reaches out with his mind to make an offer to another potential player. Rising from his burial place in the ruins of the mount comes Bruce Banner, aka The Immortal Hulk.

TO BE CONTINUED!

As I said, this was arguably the strongest installment to date. Focusing on two of the - powers-wise - weakest Avengers made for a compelling issue. Hawkeye and Red Wolf can't go toe to toe with the Lethal Legion in the way that, say, Wonder Man can but we see how they can still be major players and make a difference.

The device of having an issue narrated by one character continues to be an effective way of humanizing a sprawling story with so many players.

Things are moving forward with Jarvis and after several issues of teases, we get a full splash page return of the Hulk. Looking forward to much smashing to come!
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 03-01-2018 at 06:52 AM.

It is nice that they managed to give Red Wolf a nice moment. In a story like this with so many powerful characters, it can be tough for a guy like Red Wolf to make any sort of difference but he managed to do something. That was kinda cool. And the show of faith Clint had in him was nice.

I really liked this issue. It was a nice read and the interactions between Hawkeye and Red Wolf were nice. I liked that the writers respected the friendship they developed during Occupy Avengers.

A good issue still can not understand the impact or consequences of having two pyramoids being touched by heroes though Grandmaster has said this game does not end in a draw by no means.

Clint and Red Wolf began working together shortly but they already have a true friendship to the point of trusting each other their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    A good issue still can not understand the impact or consequences of having two pyramoids being touched by heroes though Grandmaster has said this game does not end in a draw by no means.

Clint and Red Wolf began working together shortly but they already have a true friendship to the point of trusting each other their lives.
    Presumably there are ominous consequences for The Avengers if they cause the game to be drawn. Although it isn't clear if they themselves count in the scoring, I presume not.

Spectacular Member

Just a random thought:

If it's 'all a lie', and the Avengers succeed in 'winning' the contest between Grandmaster and Challenger, then maybe Voyager is really a 3rd elder of the universe that manipulated time in hopes of defeating the other 2.

All-New Member

I think the lie is that they're not on Earth.

I think the whole Event is a device to resurrect the Banner Hulk and nothing more. Much like Secret Wars was just to invent Venom.

Astonishing Member

I really liked this to begin with but the premise of a contest of champions redux isn't really working for me now

I hope from what this issue presented it's moving into something a bit more interesting for me

This issue does suggest it might
    Last edited by kilderkin; 03-02-2018 at 10:35 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I think the whole Event is a device to resurrect the Banner Hulk and nothing more. Much like Secret Wars was just to invent Venom.
    No. It was YEARS after Secret Wars that Venom appeared and long after Tom Defalco had left Spider-Man when the black suit first appeared.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BAS View Post
    Just a random thought:

If it's 'all a lie', and the Avengers succeed in 'winning' the contest between Grandmaster and Challenger, then maybe Voyager is really a 3rd elder of the universe that manipulated time in hopes of defeating the other 2.
    Voyager actually being another Elder would be a neat twist. The codename fits too. Grandmaster. Challenger. Collector. Gardener. Voyager... I like the way you think

I'm still not really liking No Surrender. This week, the last few pages were cool, though.
    Always Forward. Forward Always.

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    No. It was YEARS after Secret Wars that Venom appeared and long after Tom Defalco had left Spider-Man when the black suit first appeared.
    Really? So that black suit I saw come out of that machine in SW wasn’t venom?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Really? So that black suit I saw come out of that machine in SW wasn’t venom?
    It was the symbiote, yes, but it wasn't Venom yet. It didn't become Venom until about 1988 where it was revealed to have bonded with a disgruntled and vengeful Eddie Brock, and by that point in time, Tom DeFalco was off Spider-Man.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Most events have at least a secondary goal to create something going forward. CW lead to Dark Reigh. Age of Ultron lead to Angela and AI Avengers, AVX lead to the Unity team Etc Etc Etc.

I did like the Clint Wolf partnership. Reminds me of Clint and the 2 gun kid from way back. I hope wolf stays around in some manner.