Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    I suppose you're right but since the most standout elements of Homecoming beyond the high school setting was the tech it would be strange for Spencer to use those elements right away when Slott has just had Spider-Man lose very similar technology but I wouldn't be too opposed to it.
    I'd really like it if Spencer had Peter continue using a lot of tech in combination with his spider-powers - we've already seen how it makes Peter much more effective as a hero, and it helps put the spotlight more on Peter's side of being a hero rather than being solely centered on Spider-Man and the powers he was gifted through luck. Though I do hope they don't go the Homecoming route of Peter borrowing tech from Stark, because that would be the absolute worst.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    I'd really like it if Spencer had Peter continue using a lot of tech in combination with his spider-powers - we've already seen how it makes Peter much more effective as a hero, and it helps put the spotlight more on Peter's side of being a hero rather than being solely centered on Spider-Man and the powers he was gifted through luck. Though I do hope they don't go the Homecoming route of Peter borrowing tech from Stark, because that would be the absolute worst.
    Personally I hope that Spencer writes Peter as being an effective hero without needing a lot of excessive tech nor needing to get bailed out by other heroes or characters on a daily basis.

I prefer the Peter-side of Spider-Man coming through in his humor, cleverness, and his good nature over tech, but that's just me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Personally I hope that Spencer writes Peter as being an effective hero without needing a lot of excessive tech nor needing to get bailed out by other heroes or characters on a daily basis.

I prefer the Peter-side of Spider-Man coming through in his humor, cleverness, and his good nature over tech, but that's just me.
    I agree. The basic upgrades to his spidey tracers and web shooters incorporated by Slott more or less made sense but I'd don't need Spidey armor or tactical displays in his eyepieces.

Incredible Member

Well, I can't say you missed much .
    From the trailer I saw when it launched it didn't look like something I'd be interested in.

And Electro around ASM2, even if Queenpin Black Cat was more of the real villain there.

Speaking of which, hopefully Spencer can continue the rehabilitation of Felicia's character given he seems genuinely interested in writing her.
    I forgot about Electro and yes I hope Felicia continues her path to redemption. I know Marvel nixed Slott's original plan for Black Cat but it's almost like he thought if I can't use her the way I want I'm gonna do a 180 and nuke the character. Not one his better plots for me.

I'm not sure if they were deliberately influenced by Slott's run, though I guess the overuse of tech is a hallmark of the Dan Slott era.

I think the Iron Spider costume resembling the glowing Parker Industries suit, right down to a similar pose in the trailer, was a more direct inspiraction.
    Wasn't some of the special webbing the same as in Slott's run specifically the bug zappers. Also it was a theme of both Homecoming and the Parker Industries era of Slott's run tyat while useful Peter doesn't need all the extra tech and sometimes can get in the way. I'd also agree that the glowing eyes of the Iron Spider suit are definitely inspired by Peter's own Parker Industries armor.

I think the tech was more egregious then it was standout (did people really care that much about Spider-Man's tech in that movie? It just made him come across more like Iron Man Jr.).
    I was very sceptical of Peter using a tech based suit in his first real MCU feature but I did like his interactions with Karen and some of the suits abilities were used to good humorous effect. While it doesn't make any difference to the story or character I loved that it gave an excuse to have Spidey's eyes emote like in the comics.

The movie had Stark design and build Peter's tech is because it strains credibility (even by comic book super hero standards) for a regular kid to build something as slick as the Spider-Man suit. Even if he was a child prodigy he wouldn't have access to the materials to make it though the movie did a good job showing Peter was a gifted scientist with him creating the regular webbing.

I can't say I'd want Peter to have the level of tech he had with Parker Industries or it being omnipresent like it was in Slott's stories but some would be welcome. A computer interface like his webware or even something like droney from the movie would be cool with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Symbiote View Post
    I've decided that whoever comes on this book should come with a multi year plan doing the following: Step 1 - find a way to fix the damage of the last 10 years. Step 2 - find a way to begin progressing the story forward again. Step 3 - find a way to rebuild a vibrant supporting cast. Step 4 - tell us who Peter Parker is as a human being again, in the 21st Century.

The most memorable stories and runs of all time is when someone comes in with a clear vision and direction for the story while at the same time asking exploratory, thoughtful questions. Its not just telling a story, it's forcing us to think again about who this person we thought we knew actually is, and reintroducing them to us.

Notably absent from my list - "reverse OMD", "get Peter and MJ back together", etc. Yes I said fix the damage but if a writer is really good he or she could find a way to still tell a good story without doing either. No matter how badly I or others want that.
    I'm not sure how much damage has been done to fix. If sales are a barometer then it would seem even now Slott's run is highly regarded.

I would argue he did have a clear vision. Peter Parker's main mission during Slott's run was "no one dies" and years later we get a story called Dead No More in which he gets his wish culminating in him accepting death is fundamental part of life and you're not connecting that a part of Slott's vision for the character?

Likewise Slott began his run with Peter finally getting a job in his chosen field which allowed him to create new technology to use as Spider-Man which culminated in him getting his own company and having all the tech he could want to advancing his crime fighting only to learn a lot of times it got in the way. You don't think that was a plan?

You may not have personally liked it but it was there.

If the "new love interests" "new roommate" and "alien invasion" is where they are taking this book, count me out because it doesn't sound like it accomplishes any of what I just said.

What a shame. DC continues to kick Marvel's ass and this is exactly a big reason why.
    I'm not sure why a new love interest, room mate or even an alien invasion can't factor into a well realised, multi year vision. Also I'm not sure how you think DC is kicking Marvel's ass. It certainly isn't in sales. Even creatively it now seems Rebirth has just as much of a long term plan as the New 52 did.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    I agree
    That's why I like Batman comics more than Spider-Man comics now
    Batman and Catwoman are back to being a couple

I am glad that Lois Lane is back to being Superman's love interest
    I didn't care for his romance with Wonder Woman
    That doesn't seem be a response to what Green Symbiot said. I mean he literally said what he wants isn't necessarily to reverse OMD or Peter to get with MJ again and you response is that DC us better than Marvel because two of their heroes hooked up with their classic love interests. Not everything is about your agenda to have every hero married with children.

I forgot about Electro and yes I hope Felicia continues her path to redemption. I know Marvel nixed Slott's original plan for Black Cat but it's almost like he thought if I can't use her the way I want I'm gonna do a 180 and nuke the character. Not one his better plots for me.
    Death would probably have been preferable to most of her depictions as a Queenpin.
    Wasn't some of the special webbing the same as in Slott's run specifically the bug zappers. Also it was a theme of both Homecoming and the Parker Industries era of Slott's run tyat while useful Peter doesn't need all the extra tech and sometimes can get in the way. I'd also agree that the glowing eyes of the Iron Spider suit are definitely inspired by Peter's own Parker Industries armor.
    I guess there were some synchonicity there, though I'm not sure if they took any direct influence from Slott's run.

I think Slott enjoyed Peter's new tech too much for a point or theme about it ultimately being unnecessary to feel genuine.
    I was very sceptical of Peter using a tech based suit in his first real MCU feature but I did like his interactions with Karen and some of the suits abilities were used to good humorous effect. While it doesn't make any difference to the story or character I loved that it gave an excuse to have Spidey's eyes emote like in the comics.
    I liked Karen, but I think Spidey with an AI buddy is a bit much.

Did they really need to provide a tech-based excuse for Spidey's eyes to emote?
    I can't say I'd want Peter to have the level of tech he had with Parker Industries or it being omnipresent like it was in Slott's stories but some would be welcome. A computer interface like his webware or even something like droney from the movie would be cool with me.
    Again, that just seems a tad excessive to me for Spider-Man.

Maybe if he re-appropriates a drone for himself and it's as harmless as the Spider-Tracers.
    I would argue he did have a clear vision. Peter Parker's main mission during Slott's run was "no one dies" and years later we get a story called Dead No More in which he gets his wish culminating in him accepting death is fundamental part of life and you're not connecting that a part of Slott's vision for the character?
    Wasn't Peter already kind of over "No One Dies" by the time of Worldwide? I don't think it ever felt like his main mission during the run, especially since it's not that different from how Peter generally operated beforehand.
    Likewise Slott began his run with Peter finally getting a job in his chosen field which allowed him to create new technology to use as Spider-Man which culminated in him getting his own company and having all the tech he could want to advancing his crime fighting only to learn a lot of times it got in the way. You don't think that was a plan?
    I think Parker Industries as a whole was definitely part of Slott's plan since it seemed to sum up a lot of Dan Slott's Spider-Man.

Wasn't Peter already kind of over "No One Dies" by the time of Worldwide? I don't think it ever felt like his main mission during the run, especially since it's not that different from how Peter generally operated beforehand.
    Yeah he was over it:

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

The thing is, Peter isn't really all that humorous or quippy as himself - that's more the persona he puts on as Spidey. The good nature is literally something that works for every hero, so it is far from unique to Peter. Cleverness and tech come hand in hand. I don't want Peter to necessarily have an armor like Slott had, but Peter should continue inventing different devices to counter different villains, as well as show more of his improvisational cleverness, which Slott didn't do too much of (one of my favorite examples of this is when Peter is fighting Iron Patriot Osborn and disables his armor during the fight by picking out its weak spots to damage the arc reactor).

The movie had Stark design and build Peter's tech is because it strains credibility (even by comic book super hero standards) for a regular kid to build something as slick as the Spider-Man suit. Even if he was a child prodigy he wouldn't have access to the materials to make it though the movie did a good job showing Peter was a gifted scientist with him creating the regular webbing.

I don't see why it is unbelievable for Peter to build his own tech as a high school student when it was fine for Tony to build armor from a box of scraps while kidnapped, or for Shuri to design Wakanda's entire railway system... And other than Peter creating webbing in Civil War, Homecoming did nothing to show how smart Peter was.

I don't really want Peter to wear an armor again, but I want to see Peter continue to use tech to solve problems - like maybe he invents an LMD/holographic AI to cover for him when he is out being Spider-Man, or he can invent devices to counter some villain's abilities. Most of all though, I want to see Peter building and inventing stuff for his own use/for helping others - I don't really care whether he uses tech as much for his Spider-Man adventures.
    Last edited by blackspidey2099; 03-03-2018 at 01:04 PM.

The thing is, Peter isn't really all that humorous or quippy as himself - that's more the persona he puts on as Spidey. The good nature is literally something that works for every hero, so it is far from unique to Peter. Cleverness and tech come hand in hand. I don't want Peter to necessarily have an armor like Slott had, but Peter should continue inventing different devices to counter different villains, as well as show more of his improvisational cleverness, which Slott didn't do too much of (one of my favorite examples of this is when Peter is fighting Iron Patriot Osborn and disables his armor during the fight by picking out its weak spots to damage the arc reactor).
    One thing that surprises me is that the smarter villains don't usualy make "counters for counters" much, in ASM#2 Spidey defeated Vulture with an anti magnetic inverter, then in ASM#7 Vulture made a counter for it, making it useless, I don't really remember this kind of thing happening in other occasions... Think Spidey usualy forgets about his counters lol.

I don't really want Peter to wear an armor again, but I want to see Peter continue to use tech to solve problems - like maybe he invents an LMD/holographic AI to cover for him when he is out being Spider-Man, or he can invent devices to counter some villain's abilities. Most of all though, I want to see Peter building and inventing stuff for his own use/for helping others - I don't really care whether he uses tech as much for his Spider-Man adventures.
    There was one time Spidey considered using a robot which Otto had made to keep beating, but considered against it because he had enough problems, maybe he was afraid it'd become an Ultron or something lol.

The writer of Hydra Cap is bringing us a new roommate and a new love interest. Sounds more like a HD remastered Marvel Tales presents Brand New Day again. We even get a new alien invasion again, just done in the newest issue of Spectacular. And a new renumbered start over for this "new" direction. Woo.

I do love Ottley from Invincible.

I am not sure Marvel gets my favorite character anymore. Kinda sad. I think Ottley will nail the art at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    One thing that surprises me is that the smarter villains don't usualy make "counters for counters" much, in ASM#2 Spidey defeated Vulture with an anti magnetic inverter, then in ASM#7 Vulture made a counter for it, making it useless, I don't really remember this kind of thing happening in other occasions... Think Spidey usualy forgets about his counters lol.
    That reminds me of how in Spectacular (the cartoon) Peter tried the same tactic he used to beat Vulture the first time when he was fighting the Sinister Six and Vulture had already prepared for it.

Now that was a Spidey who knew how to fight without relying too much on tech .

That reminds me of how in Spectacular (the cartoon) Peter tried the same tactic he used to beat Vulture the first time when he was fighting the Sinister Six and Vulture had already prepared for it.
    Hell, in Spectacular comic he finaly made a counter to the webs, funny Vulture is the one who learns how to counter the counters, and soon enough he'll be countering the whole Marvel universe

Makes you wonder what he'll do in the next MCU movie he shows up lol

Now that was a Spidey who knew how to fight without relying too much on tech .
    Spectacular cartoon Spidey fought closer to the Silver Age Spidey with him finding specific solutions to beat some villains. I think the only thing he got from more modern Spidey was shooting multiple web balls I saw him doing once, not sure about its effectiveness though.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    So is Electro going to PERMANTLY be a woman now (I guess Marvel is riding that wave now anyway, and Spidey DOES have a lack of good female villains). Can they at least call her "Electra" not to be confused with Elektra? Or would that detract from the whole "female empowerment" kick of replacing Electro with a woman in the first place?
    Call her Electrix.

I'd be a little surprised if someone's not tempted to bring back Dillon at some point as Electro, just like they brought Toomes, Kraven and Beck back, but given the dearth of female Spidey rogues, they probably aren't in a rush to do it.