Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default PoC characters DC should bring out of obscurity

I was thinking about DC's PoC characters, and while many will claim that they don't have as many as Marvel I would like to disagree and say there are already tons and potential for more, we just need to bring them out of obscurity and give them the proper spotlight they deserve

My first choice is Will Everett, the Amazing Man:

All-Star Squadron is one of my favorite comics ever and the original Amazing Man from that series was a character from that series I really liked and wanted to see more of. He has similar powers to Absorbing Man from Marvel but he's a hero with (in my opinion) a very iconic look that resembles a hero from ancient myths, a la Theseus or Hercules.

My next choice is Rama

As someone who has studied Indian culture and religion briefly for a semester I found Rama and his ties to Indian culture & mythology to be someone with a lot of potential.

Hm, Rama could be interesting if done right and it would be nice to see a mythology that's not Greek or Norse get some spotlight. I also think they should do what Young Justice did with the Superfriends characters and revamp them. It would be nice to see those kids get their own book.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Skyrocket is top of my list. She was and could be an amazing character added to any Justice League team.
    Black Orchid is another that needs to be brought back. If I'm not mistaken when Justice League Dark re-introduced her, she was hispanic?

First DC needs to own up to and own the originals:
    Actually their first multi-ethnic team: recognized and re-imagined.
    An amalgamation of all three of their animated incarnations (bringing three generations of fans along as one) and brought into the DCU proper.
    -The created for SuperFriends heroes.
    -The updated costumes and Hero IDs of DCAU Ultimen, which borrowed from the SF.
    - With the personalities and civilian IDs of YJ Runaways:
    Just they can not use the experimented on and created in a lab origins WTF? . These should be their own heroes, as they were on SF.
    DC needs to shut-up the race naysayers, un-apologetically own their first POC team, and put them out there front and center:

And together as a TEAM!

1-Tye (Apache) Longshadow (with his giant astral projecting self)
    2-Eduardo (Desperado) Dorado
    3-Buster (Volt) Jones (named after the man who voiced him)
    4-Toshio (Samurai Wind Dragon) Eto
    5-Rima re-imagined as Persian/Indian (I think the original name in Sanskrit means white-antelope, would explain the white hair, yet give her a dark complexion) (yes abandon the public domain version and focus on their own)
    6-add Asami from YJ to distinguish from Toshio (her brother) give her Ch'i / Qi (氣), "energy force" powers.
    7- The Exor Twins! (and no they are not white or albino, HB had them as the first non-green non-caucasian humanoid looking aliens, DC should stop pretending they were white) Also give Zan his as originally conceived all around elemental, (who like his sister becoming any beast, he was actually to powerful so they made it just water), he could emulate any element, and take on any elemental physical forms.

Together this team is incredibly powerful and unique.
    Last edited by Güicho; 05-31-2018 at 08:19 AM.

- Agree Amazing Man needs to be brought back, and made part of the Golden Age DCU canon.
    - Also add the original Whip/El Castigo (Fernando Suarez ).
    Without them their Golden Age history and roster is just a bunch of white guys.
    - Also add the Whip/Castigo as modern day female descendant, preferably Latina
    - Vixen needs to be pushed further (also use her Legends Golden Age ancestor as an established Golden Age regular), and always have the modern version be a regular on a Justice League. ...Always!
    - As should Black Lightning on an Outsiders.
    - With Katana
    - The Hawks, should be and look of EGYPTIAN descent! IN EVERY incarnation!
    - Steel (John Henry) needs to be brought back
    - Vibe (Cisco Ramon) needs to be amalgamated with his TV personality, and made the DCU's premier multiverse/dimensional jumping hero.
    - And Gypsy (Romani) as an entity born of and traveling across all multi/dimensions.
    - Kimiyo Hoshi (although drop the disgustingly tainted Dr. Light moniker once and for all, and call her Vega (Orihime) after the star which gave her powers) LOOK IT UP!
    - Team Atom - The Atoms: Ray, Ryan & Rhonda together as a team emphasizing different aspects of the power, so there is no overlap.
    - El Diablo (although preferably play down or drop the horrible cliche latino gang member, maybe revisit the Bronze Age version (Sandoval) and add the supernatural element.
    - Malcolm Duncan and Karen Beecher as Guardian & Bumblebee need to be regulars on a team.
    - Rene Montoya & Crispus Allen, need to be regulars as Gotham's Paranormal Dept.
    - Black Condor (Juan Trujillo) with the Freedom Fighters.

-I'd list Jaime Reyes here, but hardly "out of obscurity" since his series just ended. This character needs to be reinvented big time, and his own fans are the biggest hurdle.

TEAMS:

- The Mist (Dr. Nommo Balewa) and the legit: Global Guardians:
    - Owlwoman (US)
    - Rising Sun (Japan)
    - Tuatara (New Zealand (Legacy notice I made him Maori heritage for the image bellow)
    - Tasmanian Devil (Australia
    - Seraph (Israel)
    - Little Mermaid (Denmark)
    - Thunderlord (Taiwan)
    - Jack O'Lantern (Ireland)
    - Olympian (Greece
    - Godiva (England
    - Impala (South Africa (would actually use his daughter)
    - Wild Huntsman (Germany
    - Bushmaster/ Cascabel muda / Silent Rattler ( Venezuela (Prety much the latino Floyd Lawton of the GG)
    - Fire/Fury( Brazil
    - Ice/Icemaiden Norway)

Should be their premier actual International team, loaded with POC, not like the BS JLI/JLE based in Europe team, which was mostly white.

With some updates, redesigns and some Legacy versions.
    And add any newcomers.
    Jet
    Cascade
    Sandstorm

Owl Woman (Native American) should always be THE representation for North America on this team, not a white male.
    You'd think that would go without saying but be surprised how many imagine reinventing the team by first inserting a white male to replace her as the US rep.

-----------

Batmen Inc. / Colony of Bats Grant Morrison's re-imagining of the "Batmen of all Nations" needs to be brought back:
    -Man-Of-Bats and his son Little Raven (Native American)
    -Nightrunner & The Musketeer (Algeria/ France)
    -El Gaucho / Murcielago (Argentina)
    &
    - Camazotz female . Literally "Death -Bat" ! (Guatemala Central America) I just gave you a great character use her DC!
    -The Dark Ranger (Australia)
    - & Flying Fox female (Malaysian)
    -Knight and Squire (England)
    -Vespertilio The new female Legionary (Italy)
    -Batwing ( David Zavimbe) (Democratic Republic of the Congo)
    -Black Bat (Cassandra Cain) (Hong Kong)
    -Mr. Kōmori the Unknown & Shy Crazy Lolita Kanaria (Japan)

With all the derivative bat themes out thee, how is this not a regular team!
    Last edited by Güicho; 03-01-2018 at 08:24 PM.

In order of my JLI wishlist, and I'm conflating obscurity with "Limbo".

Jet
    El Dorado
    Equinox

Rima
    Bushmaster
    El Pampero
    Extrano

Jabbar the Powerful
    Noora the Light

Doctor Mist

Flint
    Kid Impala
    Batwing

Rama
    Aruna
    Hadya the Guide

August General
    Gloss
    Swift
    Fuji

Cacade

The rest of the team(s) are white folks, white-presenting aliens, or all-new international superheroes characters.

Aquaman

Koryak - Aquaman's half Inuit son

Lorena Marquez - Latina American Aquagirl

Batman
    Gavin King aka Orpheus

Nyssa Ratko - Thalia's half sister

Onyx Adams

Dr Fate
    Khalid Nassour

Green Arrow

Connor Hawke

Justice League Spinoffs

Bea da Costa

Miyaben Marten aka Equinox

New Guardians

Xiang Po

Jet

Ram

shadow Cabinet

Iron Butterfly

Young Justice

Anita Fite

They did a good job with reclaiming Extraño, so I'd like to see him appearing regularly somewhere.

Dr. Light, Dr. Mist, Onyx, Wildcat (Yolanda), Pantha, Black Condor, Gnaark (with a new name), Steel (Irons), Fire, Northwind, Dr. Midnight (Beth), Red Star, Rocket Red.

And the Global Guardians.
    I've always liked the idea of an Aquaman or Wonder Woman led Global Guardians where 99% of the team was non-American.

Aquaman/Wonder Woman (or even Mera)
    Dr. Light
    Dr. Mist
    Crimson Fox
    Red Star
    Fire
    Tasmanian Devil
    Owlwoman/Black Condor
    Jack O'Lantern/Godiva
    The Greek girl from the Flashpoint Booster Gold story that was originally going to be in JLI
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Just saying, as a French myself... I'm all for Nightrunner being put back in continuity, but under a new alias. Sure, English sounds cool and all here, but I don't think that peoples would like very much a vigilante (bad thing already here) using an english nickname... Plus the french translation of his name was awful. Better for D.C. to work on it and give him an actual french name to avoid that.

Edit : and while we are at it, I would really like Bilal dealing also with the fact that France had a lot of secret societies, especially during the XIXth and XXth centuries IRL, which could have survived or even evolved in comics, to give him is personnal niche in dealing with that kind of local threats.
    Last edited by Korath; 03-01-2018 at 12:32 PM.

I wonder if some writer could be skilled enough to do something interesting with Muhammad X.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Ultimate Member

Definitely Amazing Man, Skyrocket, Iron Butterfly and Dr. Mist, along with various Global Guardians (I liked Thunderlord, as well as Tuatara, Bushmaster, Icemaiden and Green Fury). From the Shadow Cabinet group in Milestone, I also really liked Plus, the Indian twins.

Tuatara, in particular, has a great power (to peer into the future and past, which would make him both an amazing precognitive fighter, and also a great detective), and if there was more focus on his possible Maori heritage, he could be pretty interesting.

Bumblebee, of the Teen Titans, could also be cool (but not Mal/Hornblower/Vox, never been a fan of him).

Tye Longshadow was really the standout of the Young Justice 'runaways,' and I'd love to see more of him and his giant astral self.

Wildstorm had some cool options as well, such as Battalion, Fuji and Flint (Stormwatch), Frostbite (from DV8), Grunge and Rainmaker (from Gen 13), Ambrose Chase (Planetary), Swift (the Authority) or Serge (Night Guard). Battalion seems like a no-brainer, although I'm a huge fan of Serge and his potty-mouth (and I've always loved the visual of a speedster with guns) and Flint's no-nonsense attitude and powers.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 03-01-2018 at 01:22 PM.

Astonishing Member

I remember Alex Ross had a plan to bring back Vulcan and make him similiar to Shazam, which was a fantastic idea that fell through the cracks, which is what normally happens in DC lol.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Just saying, as a French myself... I'm all for Nightrunner being put back in continuity, but under a new alias. Sure, English sounds cool and all here, but I don't think that peoples would like very much a vigilante (bad thing already here) using an english nickname... Plus the french translation of his name was awful. Better for D.C. to work on it and give him an actual french name to avoid that.

Edit : and while we are at it, I would really like Bilal dealing also with the fact that France had a lot of secret societies, especially during the XIXth and XXth centuries IRL, which could have survived or even evolved in comics, to give him is personnal niche in dealing with that kind of local threats.
    I agree, also the name Nightrunner isn't really that inspired

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    I remember Alex Ross had a plan to bring back Vulcan and make him similiar to Shazam, which was a fantastic idea that fell through the cracks, which is what normally happens in DC lol.

Maybe you could make him an old man who becomes young again?