Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Neil Gaiman announces new Sandman Universe line of comics

New Imprint curated by Niel Gaiman

http://ew.com/books/2018/03/01/neil-...iverse-comics/

Finally... a new Books of Magic!
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! I'm excited!

Wonder if he'll be promoting this when he comes to my school next week...

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Son of a ....?! I did not see this coming, but sign me up for all of it!

I've never read anything by Watters or Howard, but if they're Gaiman-approved, what more do you need?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I'm excited. Adding these 4 titles will more than double my current single issue pull list (I usually trade wait on all but creator-owned stuff or other stuff I want to support not just read, but these I want to support).

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Just started re-reading Sandman this week... I'm gonna try all books, but what really interest me is Books of Magic and the Dreaming. This is good news, DC is really trying to expand it's audience, first they announce with Young Animal, The Wild Storm, Ink, Zoom. The only not so good news, is that Gaiman is not gonna be writing any title, but just the fact that he will be helping guide the ship already gime confidence.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! I'm excited!

Wonder if he'll be promoting this when he comes to my school next week...
    That's awesome! I wish I could be there for that. I'm glad he's giving students such a cool opportunity.

Mighty Member

I can't explain how excited this makes me. Sandman is my all time favorite series and probably my favorite work of fiction in any format. Lucifer by Carey is up there as well.

This is close to best case scenario news as far as comics go for me. Only way it could be better is if Gaiman was writing it, but I'm still beyond stoked.

Getting exposed to some Gaiman approved writers I'm not familiar with means my reading pile just got way larger... I need to catch up on their work.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Yep. This is pretty much a standard-issue "Shut up and take my money" situation right here!
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Sandman is my all time favourite comic book series so this is very exciting. I would, however, have liked to see more work from Gaiman himself. I'll check out the special for sure but I'd imagine I will only check the different series out in trade, depending on reviews.

Still, this is big news for Vertigo and something definitely to look forward to.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

I really enjoyed the Dreaming anthology and Mike Carey's Lucifer when they initially spun out of Sandman after its run ended, and I enjoyed the early Books of Magic series as well, so I will definitely be giving all four series a chance.

I just scouted my local library's online catalog for books by the four authors and have requested a few to sample their stuff over the next few weeks as well.

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Finally... a new Books of Magic!
    Yes! Yes, indeed! One of my favorite series from the 1990s—and I do mean the ongoing. I loved the mini-series, but the ongoing is what really defined Tim Hunter for me. And, of course, we got Molly too. Hope she returns...
    Currently buying:
    Print: Superman, Nightwing, Super Sons, Doomsday Clock, Young Justice, Books of Magic, Batman: Creature of the Night, Ascender, Birthright, Black Hammer, . Digital: Action Comics, Batman, Detective Comics, Batman Beyond, Flash, Justice League, Titans, Teen Titans, Deathstroke, The Wild Storm, Terrifics, Naomi, The Dreaming, Star Wars, Black Science, The Magic Order, Gideon Falls, Giants, Archie, Riverdale, Maxwell's Demons.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderboy12 View Post
    Yes! Yes, indeed! One of my favorite series from the 1990s—and I do mean the ongoing. I loved the mini-series, but the ongoing is what really defined Tim Hunter for me. And, of course, we got Molly too. Hope she returns...
    It's not exactly going to be the Tim hunter you remember...from the interview with Gaiman in the EW article...

Q: Sandman is the big name here, but this imprint will also involve Books of Magic. What are you looking forward to about revisiting Timothy Hunter and his universe?

NG: Mostly what I’m looking forward to is going to that idea and starting it again in 2018. Books of Magic was an idea I came up with and did 30 years ago and loved and had an enormous amount of fun with. It was pre-Harry Potter, and the idea of a bespectacled, tousled 12-year-old boy with an owl learning magic was this sort of weird new thing we were trying to figure out as it went along. I love the idea of starting that again now, because now you’re in a universe in which everybody and their brother knows how that kind of story ought to go. Now we’re going to go back and look at ways it can go, both lighter and darker (he said, picking his words with care), than the original. With that one, we’re taking this comic book approach that reminds me a little bit of what DC did when they came up with the concept of Earth One. They took the Flash, and you created the Barry Allen Flash and let the Jay Garrick Flash be the Flash of Earth Two. It’s a new Tim Hunter for a new time, and the old Tim Hunter may well have existed, and that may actually have ramifications for us a little bit down the line.
    -M

Well, "everything old is new again" and all that... but in this case, I definitely won't be the one to complain.

I'm really curious to see what Gaiman has in mind for his all-new Books of Magic. While it's true that a lot of comics featuring the adventures of Tim Hunter were published after the original BoM miniseries, it was kind of a shame that those four issues plus The Children's Crusade were the only contributions by Neil to the character.

Also, after his two issues on Suicide Squad and the very intriguing first issue of Motherlands, I'd say Si Spurrier has come to DC to stay for a while-- and I approve.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    It's not exactly going to be the Tim hunter you remember...from the interview with Gaiman in the EW article...
    I know it won't be exactly the same. I hope there's enough similarity that it will still feel like Tim. Nothing will take away from John Ney Rieber and Peter Gross's take on the character, which I loved; but I have no problem with different takes on a favorite character. Or (as one example) I'd have stopped reading Superman in 1986...
    Currently buying:
    Print: Superman, Nightwing, Super Sons, Doomsday Clock, Young Justice, Books of Magic, Batman: Creature of the Night, Ascender, Birthright, Black Hammer, . Digital: Action Comics, Batman, Detective Comics, Batman Beyond, Flash, Justice League, Titans, Teen Titans, Deathstroke, The Wild Storm, Terrifics, Naomi, The Dreaming, Star Wars, Black Science, The Magic Order, Gideon Falls, Giants, Archie, Riverdale, Maxwell's Demons.