View Poll Results: How Do You Feel About Spencer/Ottley On ASM?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pumped!! Really Looking Forward To It

48 41.03%
  • OK, I Guess. Will Check It Out.

21 17.95%
  • Meh. Leaves Me Cold.

13 11.11%
  • Really Need To Wait and See; No Opinion Yet

35 29.91%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default How do you feel about Spencer/Ottley on ASM?

What is your immediate reaction to the news? Pretty simple; no need to think too much about it; please answer in poll and feel free to discuss as well.

Well, he wrote Superior Foes and the artist drew Invincible. We're onto a winner!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I'll just wait and see, he did write Secret Empire, but I try to avoid letting previous dumb mistakes cloud my vision, he can very well write something interesting, but he can also write something boring. So again, wait and see.

BANNED

I liked Spencer's Superior Foes and Ant-Man, and am a huge fan of Invincible. So long as Peter's not too immature and MJ and Felicia are done just whenever they show up, I'll be curious, but my Spidey comics of choice are still the very pro-marriage daily strip and RYV

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Gotta be honest, I'm not that overly impressed personally about Ottley on the art, it's not ''bad'' but I can't say it grabs me personally. Maybe once I've seen more issues it'll grow on me which has happened before with other artists. As for Spencer, I'll wait and see what he does and I won't comment on the very little information we have so far.

I picked pption two -

OK, I Guess. Will Check It Out.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Voted second option. I'm somewhat optimistic about it, but I always temper my expectations with these things. Ottley is certainly a big draw.

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

I don’t know about Spencer’s writing. I’m willing to see how he does.

I’m loving Ottely’s art, though.

Spectacular Member AmazingFantasy's Avatar

Picked option 4. I'd be lying if I said I'm excited for this, but I'll give Spencer a chance and pick up the first arc. At the very least the art is nice, so that's a plus lol. But overall, little to do but wait and see.

Mighty Member

Pumped! Spencer was my first choice after the admittedly unlikely Gail Simone.

I've liked everything Spencer has done, Superior Foes is one of my all time favorites, Ant Man I enjoyed immensely, The Fix is a current favorite..

I'll definitely find the book funny, which is a big reason I like Spidey.

BANNED

Waiting and seeing...not crazy about his past work but nice to see he has plans for much of the supporting cast, to include MJ and Felicia.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

I'll wait and see as well. Spencer might have some good ideas, but Ottley's art just doesn't do it for me, it seems very two dimensional and non-detailed.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Very excited because I know it can potentially be great, but the realist side of me comes in and knows Spencer can do just as bad as he can good.

I'm going with okay.

Spencer's done good work, including on Spider-Man. His Jimmy Olsen is promising in this context.

He does seem to have some major blind spots when it comes to politics, so that is a bit concerning.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I'm going with okay.

Spencer's done good work, including on Spider-Man. His Jimmy Olsen is promising in this context.

He does seem to have some major blind spots when it comes to politics, so that is a bit concerning.
    That criticism is legitimate only when viewed through the prism of his work on Captain America/Secret Empire which, by and large, is mostly what he has been known for the last several years. Other work of his like Ant-Man and Superior Foes doesn't have much of a political overtone and, even if it did, I would be very surprised if Marvel Editorial wanted that to permeate the Spidey book which works best (IMO) politics-free. I think the one exception was Spidey's part in Civil War (The "Mr Parker Goes To Washington" arc by JMS) but I really don't foresee Spencer going down a similar road anytime soon.