Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What were Slott's best post-Superior stories?

With Slott wrapping up his long tenure on ASM, and the "Go Down Swinging" tale off to a promising start, I thought it would be interesting to discuss what his best Spidey stories of roughly the last 5 years (after Superior Spider-Man wrapped) were.

It seems that most discussions on Slott's best work center around his earlier Spidey work; I personally feel that his work starting with the Volume 3 launch was far less memorable than his earlier work though there were some good stories in there for sure.

But.....let's open up a discussion: what are your favorite Dan Slott stories post-Superior Spider-Man?

BANNED

Learning to Crawl and Renew Your Vows.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    My exact picks as well. Beyond that, I am sorry to say there isn't much that I would rank much higher than slightly above average. I thought both "Spider-Verse" and "Clone Conspiracy" started with a lot of promise but both fizzled and became unnecessarily convoluted with weak finales (something that has plagued a lot of Slott's work). And most of Vol 4 has just been plain boring for me.....

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    My exact picks as well.
    Yeah, they both work because they're classic status quos with a little something new thrown in (Clash and Annie), I've found that's how I've always preferred my Slott stories, too much new over tradition was a turn-off

Astonishing Member

Renew Your Vows.

Astonishing Member

Didn't like Vol. 3 or 4.

I think a lot of creators struggle with stories after they do a "death and return" story. Ed Brubaker's Captain America run was never the same after he brought back Steve Rogers, and had him wield the shield again. It's hard to top that kind of story line. Which is why I think if writers are going to do such a story, they should plan on exiting soon after.

As for the question at hand, Renew Your Vows.

Those were the stories I enjoyed the most as well.

Learning To Crawl, Spider-Verse, Renew Your Vows, the first arc of Worldwide, and Venom Inc. are my favourite of his post-Superior stories.

There were also a couple specific issues I especially really loved, like Vol. 4 #23, the Clone Conspiracy issue with Peter & Gwen, and Vol. 4 #32, the solo one with Norman.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Spider-Verse, first arc of Worldwide, Before Dead No More, the Clone Conspiracy tie-ins with Kaine and the the conversation between Peter and Clone Gwen, and the first couple issues of the Secret Empire tie-in.

Renew Your Vows and Learning to Crawl I would say.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I feel like he peeked after Superior and should've let go of Parker directly after. Learning to Crawl introduced Clash, so ew. The Zodiac story was a boring chore and Clone Conspiracy made me quit reading spider-man for the first time since I started reading comics.

I think Spider Verse was good for what it was (basically a big Exiles-esq story). Honestly hoping the Red Goblin arc goes well.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Agreed. I would add Worldwide too
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Astonishing Member

Spider Verse,Clone Conspiracy,Worldwide and Osborn Identity.

Renew Your Vows and Learning to Crawl, they weren't very good, but at least they weren't bad either.