View Poll Results: How Do You Feel About Spencer/Ottley On ASM?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pumped!! Really Looking Forward To It

48 41.03%
  • OK, I Guess. Will Check It Out.

21 17.95%
  • Meh. Leaves Me Cold.

13 11.11%
  • Really Need To Wait and See; No Opinion Yet

35 29.91%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The issues isn't that Spencer has tackled politics, or that he did so in Cap. I argued politics with him on the old Bendis Board years ago before he was a comics writer. My concern is more about his view of people who disagree with him.

I do prefer the illusion that the person writing the story thinks that the people who disagree with him or her on politics generally want what's best. Otherwise, I find it hard to trust the writer's view of the world.
    I view Captain America as political in the same way as Superman is political. Both characters are used in their respective universes to represent American values, whatever that may be to a writer at the time.

The problem with politics these days is exactly what you describe in your second sentence. There is a nasty, take no prisoners, with us or against us sentiment in most of it. Cap shouldn't be that, and I certainly hope he doesn't become a standard-bearer for the anti-Trumpers out there.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Honestly, I wish they'd just STOP STARTING OVER WITH ANOTHER ISSUE #1!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganWebhead View Post
    Honestly, I wish they'd just STOP STARTING OVER WITH ANOTHER ISSUE #1!!!!
    Man, you've waited a long time to make your first post.

But I do agree with you.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Man, you've waited a long time to make your first post.

But I do agree with you.
    Will the series only have the new numbering or will it have dual numbering?

#1 and #802?

- Jason G. Carr

Haven't read any of his stuff so I'll wait and see. Happy Slott is off though. Loved the beginning of his run but he lost me in a bad way during the second half.

Hopefully Peter is written better. He was written to just be pathetic during the Mockingbird relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by JGC View Post
    Will the series only have the new numbering or will it have dual numbering?

#1 and #802?
    Unconfirmed but I did recently read somewhere that the backlash against yet another renumbering led them to now say it will be dual numbering, similar to what we had during JMS' run. Presumably the "legacy" numbering will be in fainter type and perhaps smaller than the "new" numbering but that remains to be seen. This whole thing is so silly; I don't know why they can't just splash a "A New Era Begins Here!" banner across #802 and leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Unconfirmed but I did recently read somewhere that the backlash against yet another renumbering led them to now say it will be dual numbering, similar to what we had during JMS' run. Presumably the "legacy" numbering will be in fainter type and perhaps smaller than the "new" numbering but that remains to be seen. This whole thing is so silly; I don't know why they can't just splash a "A New Era Begins Here!" banner across #801 and leave it at that.
    #802. #801 is Slott's last issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    #802. #801 is Slott's last issue.
    Corrected; thanks. And I also just read that Marcos Martin, hands down my favorite Spidey artist of the last few decades, will be handling #801 which will be a coda of sorts to Slott's run so I am very much looking forward to that.

I trust in Spencer. I had to look up Ryan Ottley. but his work on Invincible was tiight.

Mighty Member

Corrected; thanks. And I also just read that Marcos Martin, hands down my favorite Spidey artist of the last few decades, will be handling #801 which will be a coda of sorts to Slott's run so I am very much looking forward to that.
    Marcos Martin!? Sweet! I loved when Spidey had Marcos, Javier Rodriguez and Javier Pulido doing art. I thought they were "too cartoony" at first but came to really appreciate and love their cleaner, more simplistic style. The depth of expression the guys like that, along with Steve Lieber and Francavilla, can convey with so few lines is really incredible. Saying more with less is really the heart of cartooning and I feel silly that I used to hold being really good at cartooning against cartoonists.

I just thought of this, but I got really excited at the idea. I'd love to see Spencer write Shocker as a hero in the new series. He was one of the best parts of his Superior Foes, and we've had more recent teases regarding his more complex side in Star-Lord and Uncanny Avengers, so I think now would be the perfect time for him to do something really grand with him!

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I just thought of this, but I got really excited at the idea. I'd love to see Spencer write Shocker as a hero in the new series. He was one of the best parts of his Superior Foes, and we've had more recent teases regarding his more complex side in Star-Lord and Uncanny Avengers, so I think now would be the perfect time for him to do something really grand with him!
    I don't think Spencer would write Shocker as a hero but he might follow-up on Shocker being head of all the crime families at the end of Superior Foes.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Eh, I don't really want to see Shocker as a hero (actually, I really think the reformed villains thing has been way overdone in general) and I also hope the tone of Spencer's ASM won't be as light and joky as his Superior Foes was----I am personally hoping for something a bit freewheeling but not the Deadpool-lite portrayal of Spidey that we have gotten in some appearances over the last few years.

BANNED

Eh, I don't really want to see Shocker as a hero (actually, I really think the reformed villains thing has been way overdone in general) and I also hope the tone of Spencer's ASM won't be as light and joky as his Superior Foes was----I am personally hoping for something a bit freewheeling but not the Deadpool-lite portrayal of Spidey that we have gotten in some appearances over the last few years.
    The possibility of him writing ASM like Superior Foes is EXACTLY what I'm afraid of. It would be a complete joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey5640 View Post
    The possibility of him writing ASM like Superior Foes is EXACTLY what I'm afraid of. It would be a complete joke.
    I have that same fear but it's mitigated somewhat by the fact that Zdarskly's first 4 issues of PP:SSM were written that way and were largely despised; since then, he has balanced things and most seem to agree that it is a much better book for that balance. Here's hoping Marvel editorial has directed Spencer to take heed of that lesson.