View Poll Results: How Do You Feel About Spencer/Ottley On ASM?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pumped!! Really Looking Forward To It

48 41.03%
  • OK, I Guess. Will Check It Out.

21 17.95%
  • Meh. Leaves Me Cold.

13 11.11%
  • Really Need To Wait and See; No Opinion Yet

35 29.91%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I'm pumped! I think Spencer is a perfect fit, I love his sense of humour he brings to his work and that it's a great match for Peter. Ottley is a very talented & reliable artist who draws a great Spider-Man. This may be the book I'm most excited for in this relaunch.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Ottley's awesome, and Spencer is great whenever he isn't going on a political tirade, so I'm pretty hyped.
    Cyclops was right

Incredible Member Sensational C's Avatar

Excited for it, I really enjoyed his Superior Foes, Captain Americas, and Ant-Man runs.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    That criticism is legitimate only when viewed through the prism of his work on Captain America/Secret Empire which, by and large, is mostly what he has been known for the last several years. Other work of his like Ant-Man and Superior Foes doesn't have much of a political overtone and, even if it did, I would be very surprised if Marvel Editorial wanted that to permeate the Spidey book which works best (IMO) politics-free. I think the one exception was Spidey's part in Civil War (The "Mr Parker Goes To Washington" arc by JMS) but I really don't foresee Spencer going down a similar road anytime soon.
    I'm not as bothered by what I've read of his Captain America run as I am of his expressed political attitudes on social media. The specific issue I have with him is that he sometimes assumes the worst of the people who disagree with him, and I am concerned about how that would color his writing.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I'm not as bothered by what I've read of his Captain America run as I am of his expressed political attitudes on social media. The specific issue I have with him is that he sometimes assumes the worst of the people who disagree with him, and I am concerned about how that would color his writing.
    Ah, ok. I am not familiar with his stance on social media but that sounds similar to Slott who I grew to realize has a fairly thin skin (though not in areas of political beliefs) and in today's age of instant feedback that could indeed be an impetus to a successful run but let us hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Ah, ok. I am not familiar with his stance on social media...
    Nor was I. Thanks for sharing Mr. Mets.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

The specific issue I have with him is that he sometimes assumes the worst of the people who disagree with him...
    Business as usual then.
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

BANNED

Supposedly he quit twitter, or at least restricted access to approved followers so perhaps that will help tamp down any possible issues..

Excited for this. I like Superior Foes and a lot of Spencer's other work. Will be great #1.

While I am extremely excited for ottley to be on the book, spencer is probably the last person I would want to write Peter. After he completely destroyed Captain America, all so that he could basically express how upset he was about the election, I don't want him anywhere near any major character. Secret Empire was a disaster for Marvel, how that leads to the guy who wrote it basically getting a promotion to marvel's biggest book makes no sense. As others have said his inability to handle any criticism of his stories and to basically cast anyone who disagrees with him as a bigot of some sort is really annoying. Slott would get fed up a lot but he normally kept things to a pretty respectful tone unlike Spencer who just acts like anyone who disagrees with him is a nazi. Even if I ignored his Cap stuff, all his other books focus on underachieving slacker loser man child characters which is something that has been done to death with Peter lately. I have every ASM issue since 250 so I will be picking this up but I am starting to miss slott already.

On an unrelated note I cannot believe what I am seeing so far from Marvel on this new "fresh start". Recycling writers who have destroyed characters onto new books isn't exactly a "fresh"thing to do. I mean Coates who is at the very least divisive on BP gets to keep that book and gets added as the writer of Cap, a character that he admittedly doesn't understand and has pretty much zero love or respect for. Spencer who destroyed Cap gets Spidey, Aaron after totally running Odinson into the ground the last few years and basically continually making him look like a loser get to keep writing him and gets avengers. Based on what they are doing so far this entire relaunch, looks like something that will need to be relaunched again in a 6-12 months.
    Last edited by regg215; 03-01-2018 at 07:12 PM.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    While I am extremely excited for ottley to be on the book, spencer is probably the last person I would want to write Peter. After he completely destroyed Captain America, all so that he could basically express how upset he was about the election, I don't want him anywhere near any major character. Secret Empire was a disaster for Marvel, how that leads to the guy who wrote it basically getting a promotion to marvel's biggest book makes no sense. Even if I ignored his Cap stuff, all his other books focus on underachieving slacker loser man child characters which is something that has been done to death with Peter lately. I have every ASM issue since 250 so I will be picking this up but I am starting to miss slott already.

On an unrelated note I cannot believe what I am seeing so far from Marvel on this new "fresh start". Recycling writers who have destroyed characters onto new books isn't exactly a "fresh"thing to do. I mean Coates who is at the very least divisive on BP gets to keep that book and gets added as the writer of Cap, a character that he admittedly doesn't understand and has pretty much zero love or respect for. Spencer who destroyed Cap gets Spidey, Aaron after totally running Odinson into the ground the last few years and basically continually making him look like a loser get to keep writing him and gets avengers. Based on what they are doing so far this entire relaunch, looks like something that will need to be relaunched again in a 6-12 months.
    Not to mention Slott gets the Iron Man title.

While I am extremely excited for ottley to be on the book, spencer is probably the last person I would want to write Peter. After he completely destroyed Captain America, all so that he could basically express how upset he was about the election, I don't want him anywhere near any major character. Secret Empire was a disaster for Marvel, how that leads to the guy who wrote it basically getting a promotion to marvel's biggest book makes no sense. As others have said his inability to handle any criticism of his stories and to basically cast anyone who disagrees with him as a bigot of some sort is really annoying. Slott would get fed up a lot but he normally kept things to a pretty respectful tone unlike Spencer who just acts like anyone who disagrees with him is a nazi. Even if I ignored his Cap stuff, all his other books focus on underachieving slacker loser man child characters which is something that has been done to death with Peter lately. I have every ASM issue since 250 so I will be picking this up but I am starting to miss slott already.

This brings up an interesting point.

To what extent should writers be able to take risks?

Spencer's Secret Empire was a flop, critically and commercially, but that shouldn't define his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey5640 View Post
    Supposedly he quit twitter, or at least restricted access to approved followers so perhaps that will help tamp down any possible issues..
    His understanding of politics, and more importantly-the impressions of people he disagrees with, would be the same whether or not he has twitter.

Twitter brought it out into the open.

He could have changed, and an absence on social media can give plausible deniability in that category. And it could very well not be relevant in his run.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

This brings up an interesting point.

To what extent should writers be able to take risks?

Spencer's Secret Empire was a flop, critically and commercially, but that shouldn't define his career.

His understanding of politics, and more importantly-the impressions of people he disagrees with, would be the same whether or not he has twitter.

Twitter brought it out into the open.

He could have changed, and an absence on social media can give plausible deniability in that category. And it could very well not be relevant in his run.
    I would agree that there is an interesting conversation to be had about what risks should or could be taken by writers. With that said I think my major problem with secret empire is that Spencer took a major character and pretty much gleefully destroyed everything about him, while basically telling anyone who disagreed with what he was doing that they were bigoted idiots. Taking risks is ok, but completely disregarding the history and origins of a character and his creators, so that you can essentially throw a temper tantrum over how the election turned out is different in my opinion. My biggest problem with secret empire wasn't even with Cap (although I absolutely hated what it did to his character), it was the fact that spencer decided that Odinson and Frank Castle would just throw in with a facist regime with pretty much zero plausible explanation. In the end Cap sort of gets absolved because of the whole "hydra Cap wasn't the real cap" all along angle but characters like Frank and Odinson get no redemption for what they did because Spence essentially decided that those characters would side with fascists if the circumstances were right, which goes completely against who those character are.

Also him quitting twitter is probably a good thing but like you said his biases and the way he views anyone who disagrees with him got brought out in the open and leaving twitter does nothing to change that.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

....spencer is probably the last person I would want to write Peter. After he completely destroyed Captain America, all so that he could basically express how upset he was about the election, I don't want him anywhere near any major character. Secret Empire was a disaster for Marvel, how that leads to the guy who wrote it basically getting a promotion to marvel's biggest book makes no sense. As others have said his inability to handle any criticism of his stories and to basically cast anyone who disagrees with him as a bigot of some sort is really annoying. Slott would get fed up a lot but he normally kept things to a pretty respectful tone unlike Spencer who just acts like anyone who disagrees with him is a nazi. Even if I ignored his Cap stuff, all his other books focus on underachieving slacker loser man child characters which is something that has been done to death with Peter lately. I have every ASM issue since 250 so I will be picking this up but I am starting to miss slott already..
    Hmmm, that does seem rather disconcerting. I had no idea.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I actually enjoyed Spencer work during secret empire despite all of the backlash he received. I found some of the moments in the event pretty good. I’m going to wait and see how he writes Spiderman hopefully it will be good stuff.