Super Moderator

Default Artist Tom Scioli Transforms Career Following Short-Lived Retirement

Artist Tom Scioli details his path from "Godland," to quitting the comic book business to success with IDW's "Transformers vs. G.I. Joe."

Full article here.

I LOVE Scioli's stuff, and am thrilled he's not stepping out of the field.

I've never followed either G.I. Joe or Transformers, but with Scioli doing this, I'll get it.

Amazing he has such a cool Kirby vibe going and there isn't more demand for his work.

Tom, maybe you could do something over at Archie with their new Dark Circle line.
    Engaging discussion of comics 10 years old or older http://classiccomics.boards.net

Love his stuff as well! Truly vibrant art!

Pteranadon Fury

I collected all of Godland primarily because of Tom's visionary art. Psychedelia supreme. It bums me out that his brilliance isn't readily apparent to the comics powers-that-be. He recalls some of the giants of the field and, at times, surpasses them imo. Tom, never give up! You are great!

Spectacular Member

I love Tom Scioli's work! He doesn't copy Jack Kirby -- he channels Jack Kirby and takes that vibe places where even Jack never went! His storytelling is amazing and his concepts are mind-blowing! I've talked to Tom a few times at conventions and he's a great guy, a modest genius.

All-New Member

I love Tom Scioli's work, too. That's why we published American Barbarian!

(It's currently out of print, but I'm sure it won't remain that way for long.)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pitzer View Post
    I love Tom Scioli's work, too. That's why we published American Barbarian!

(It's currently out of print, but I'm sure it won't remain that way for long.)
    He's brilliant. I had to dig up Satan's Soldier just to look at the art after reading the article.

Incredible Member

Glad to see Scioli get some recognition, he deserves it. I think Transformers vs GI JOE will have the mass comic buyer appeal to make him a fan favorite. Definitly going to be a crazy old school comic.

Issue 1 already sold out, so hopefully that means good things are indeed in store.

Heard Scioli on 11 o'clock comics and downloaded the FCBD issue and I was sold on Transformers v. GI Joe. If this series can be produced with the old 4-color newspaper print and the price lowered to 75 cents, then I will be happier than a pig in slop and thrusted back to my childhood of the 80's.