Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Great issue. Haven't said that in a while. MJ tease was annoying. Agree with everyone that Peter's love life has been a mess and it doesn't seem marvel will go anywhere with it.

Well, what do you know? Amazing Spider-Man's "Going Down Swinging" is off to a good start. If only it didn't have that MJ scene to get fans so riled up. Otherwise, it's a return to form for Norman Osborn, especially since it corrects something which shouldn't have happened to him to begin with.

Stillanerd Reviews: Amazing Spider-Man #797 review
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    If only it didn't have that MJ scene to get fans so riled u
    I think the Peter/MJ scene is the least offensive Marvel have been with the pair letting one another down actually...I kind of look at it as a victory...MJ is telling Peter here that she will always need him in her life and that she loves him, she found herself comfortable enough with Peter to embrace him like that again, and even tells him that being together is how it was always supposed to be. She then laments letting him go as he exits through the window as Spidey.

Granted, we still have more installments to go and Slott could unravel all of this when Norman comes calling for MJ and the others, but for now I'll take this latest set-back as the best of a rather checkered bunch of break-ups and on/offs.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 03-09-2018 at 03:11 AM.

khumpleetust

Somehow I think Phil will be the Red Goblin not Norman. It is a long shot because he is dead but it fits his personality more ala Kasady. Don't get me wrong. Norman is crazy but that he is also driven by revenge for Spider-man. Unlike Kasady who will kill because he is in the mood.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I think the Peter/MJ scene is the least offensive Marvel have been with the pair letting one another down actually...I kind of look at it as a victory...MJ is telling Peter here that she will always need him in her life and that she loves him, she found herself comfortable enough with Peter to embrace him like that again, and even tells him that being together is how it was always supposed to be. She then laments letting him go as he exits through the window as Spidey.

Granted, we still have more installments to go and Slott could unravel all of this when Norman comes calling for MJ and the others, but for now I'll take this latest set-back as the best of a rather checkered bunch of break-ups and on/offs.
    I totally agree; I feel as thought the door to them reuniting (as a couple, not married) is at least open now for Spencer or future writers to explore whereas I never felt that was the case over the last decade.

So I just finished reading this and I'm a little confused! Since when does JJJ know Pete is Spiderman let alone work with him?

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    So I just finished reading this and I'm a little confused! Since when does JJJ know Pete is Spiderman let alone work with him?
    Since Spectacular#6, and ASM#796 takes place after Spectacular's current events.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Since Spectacular#6, and ASM#796 takes place after Spectacular's current events.
    Ah ok thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    It would take less balls for them to cave in and cater to the minority of fans who keep whining about OMD rather than to just continue sticking to their guns.
    Minority...right. Marvel can throw as many potential love interest as they like but so long as they stand on the premise that Peter must never have a steady girlfriend or finally say that he will marry another woman who is not MJ then there will always be fans who will wait for the day to come when we finally see those two back together in the main universe as it should be.

But what do i know, after all i'm in the "Minority" right?

jadehaku

First time poster here; but wanted to voice my thoughts on the possibilities this new/last storyline may present. So like another poster mentioned I don't think Mary Jane is the FIRST one the green goblin has kidnapped but I definitely think she will be saved for last to build up tension storyline-wise. If Marvel does this right, this setting could prove to be the perfect, dramatic setting to force mary jane back into his world. Granted, from what I have read after the OMD fiasco, their interactions have been short-lived before they would stray away from each other.

While the tease of Mj and peter hooking up and stopping the moment she saw the spider-man suit was trolly, I think it also accomplished to drive home the point that peter and mary jane still have the affection/passionate pull to one another. Feelings that might be easy to see later in this storyline given the seriousness of it with the red goblin, possible more continuity to OMD and Osborn coming back with a vengeance.

Sorry for the essay ^^; It kinda went into OMD but still connects in with the latest tease

Perhaps it's my peter/Mj shipper mind going into overdrive but I hope they have Mj is serious danger. Not to make her a damsel of distress or anything but to maybe have dun dun dun moment where their is a scare if she is dead or alive. Something traumatic to really get peter's heart to stop over the prospect of losing Mj for good over the course of this plot-line with goblin. Though that may be risky to do given what this writer has done already in terms of their relationship or lackthereof right now.

However, I am a firm believer that something crazy happening with her is what is needed to force that soulmate love of theirs or the part of their souls that wasn't tampered with by Mephisto, to fight back against the chaos curse shtick he put on them. To get Peter to really start to remember who it was that messed with his love life lol. Least we know he dreads deals of any sort from that incident and is aware something important was lost. That's a step in the right direction. Mary Jane made the deal for mephisto to stay out of peter's life BUT if the hypothetical scare with osborn regarding Mj in this upcoming story works, Peter could be determined to find the one that took what was 'important' to him.

The question would be how Mephisto would get back on peter's radar given the deal. If petey comes after him that's a slight loophole in the deal but maybe osborn will come out in this story and future chapters saying he made a deal with him and peter being as smart as he is would put 2 and 2 together for the bare bones of what could have happened. After the storyline with the red goblin wraps up maybe that would put spider man on a new path in terms of a active goal to achieve. Kinda like he wanted to catch ben's killer, revenge isn't the healthiest goal for him but the aim would be getting answers and maybe setting things right. This story and the possible fallout from it could open doors to him interacting with other characters that has had interactions with Mephisto in the past like Doctor strange,etc. lol Maybe even get the heavy hitter superheroes that are 'gods' or have powers that can be a good teamup in terms of going against him.

I also worry about the details of the OMD deal since Mj and peter sacrificed their 'love' and memories of marriage to the devil, mephisto got off on taking something so pure away from the equivalent of god in the marvel universe. So would that mean that since they sinned and interacted with the devil that Mj and spider man are fated to go to hell no matter all the good that is accomplished for others sakes from their lives? Maybe I'm thinking too deeply about it but sealing him up or fighting against mephy may help diffuse the tainted chaos karma of even dealing with him that's on their souls. That and if they remember most of what they shared *peter and Mj*

It's going to mark a decade of the ramifications from that deal. Their anniversary is coming up of I think 30 years soooo I think that setup would be pretty epic in terms of elaborating on the omd plot-line while having the continuation from the osborn/red goblin plot that's about to unfold.

Also, during that deal before the deed was done mary jane did say how they were soul-mates and if their love was as strong as mephisto claimed *greatest treasure to take from the big guy* they would find their wayy back to each other. I say a decade is long enough to go on without them remembering anything at least.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I've got to think it would be very easy for MJ to decide she wants to reconnect with Peter after the events of "Go Down Swinging."

If Norman threatens her personally, it could drive home the idea that she's connected with both sides of Peter whether she admits or not. So she might as well.

At any rate, this was a really great issue. It was structured well, and it alternated nicely between quieter moments and more terrifying ones.

Spidey's dialogue with crooks has been hilarious lately. There was the Boomerang stuff last issue and now this. I love it!