Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default X-MEN GOLD: why is the writing and artistry Sub-Par?

I have been collecting and reading since 1981, my first comic was x-men 141 since that day kitty Pryde has been my number 1)
    Finally someone is writing her as the experienced Fighter that she was trained to be ( remember she is trained as a ninja WAYYYYY before psylocke) but the series as a whole ( writing and the art) is mediocre at best.
    the concept of reuniting the most popular version ( when x-men exploded in the 80s) was genius but the final product is dissappointing!
    im scared and hesitant to see what the wedding of Kitty and peter will turn out to be , the artist they picked is not acceptable

BANNED

David Marquez is one of the industry's top artists and the only good thing about this book's existence so far.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Yea I actually like the art but that is all it has going for it.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Agreed with the others. The art style is great, but the writing is not.

Seems good to great artists get stuck in badly written books.

It's the most hipster comic book out there
    X-Men "Gold"--get it?
    GrindrStone(D)

BANNED

I should clarify. Marquez is only drawing issue #30.

All the other artists, with the exception of Silva and some of Lashley, are very bad and retrograde and it is completely inexcusable that they are on one of Marvel’s highest selling ongoings. That is not even getting into the fact that Marvel refuses to do away with designs by an exposed bigot.

All-New Member

diego bernard who has been pencilling the last couple of issues , IMO, is not impressing me, thats all

BANNED

I think even if the cast is good and the premise is good everything will amount to the execution, if you're gonna have a classic group of characters they've to be used effectively and their relationships explored or their plot lines furthered and have a sense of progression. Having an A list cast is not enough if there's too much wallpaper, I'm gonna ask... What X-Men Gold impact in X men as a whole, or it'll just be forgotten like EXM

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JChunters View Post
    I have been collecting and reading since 1981, my first comic was x-men 141 since that day kitty Pryde has been my number 1)
    Finally someone is writing her as the experienced Fighter that she was trained to be ( remember she is trained as a ninja WAYYYYY before psylocke) but the series as a whole ( writing and the art) is mediocre at best.
    the concept of reuniting the most popular version ( when x-men exploded in the 80s) was genius but the final product is dissappointing!
    im scared and hesitant to see what the wedding of Kitty and peter will turn out to be , the artist they picked is not acceptable
    Kitty shouldn't be leading this team of xmen period. The other characters are being written as idiots to make her shine and it hardly feels Claremontian when I read. It's an epic fail of a run and can't wait until it's over.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

All-New Member

Paolo Siqueira is pencilling x-men 30 not david marquez

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JChunters View Post
    Paolo Siqueira is pencilling x-men 30 not david marquez
    X-MEN GOLD #30
    Written by MARC GUGGENHEIM
    Art by DAVID MARQUEZ
    Cover by PHIL NOTO
    On Sale 6/20/18
    https://www.newsarama.com/38900-colo...ld-covers.html

All-New Member

thank you
    it changed artists , much better lol

It's not just this book. Red is terrible, Blue is worse. All-New Wolverine blows. America, Iceman, and Squirrel Girl all stink. Hell, are there any Marvel comics that are that great anymore?

Mighty Member

For me Gold is bad because the writer focuses on one character at the expansive of others. Also whilwe I wont say the person is a horrible writer, I dont think the writer is someone who is willing to listen to others and adjust his style or story to larger audiences. He is writing a love letter to himself for himself. Art is a bit more subject and I know that with deadlines it can be rough for artist. I just wish line ups and people were more creative. If he had a strong secondary story that was in depth yet connected to his main story of Kitty being the best.. it might be more tolerable.

Mike Carey was someone who had agendas and pushed characters but did so in a way that was organic. he also utilized existing characters who were not as developed and gave them nuances characterizations and mini storylines. As much as I liked reading Brian Woods All female X men team. How would a female writer have done that? How would a black female written Storm solo be? X men have such a treasure trove of strong dynamic characters that are just waiting to be written and utilized.

BANNED

We had A force by two female writers and got cancelled pretty quickly, you do the math