View Poll Results: How powerful do you want your Kal?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Original Golden Age level

3 6.25%
  • Atomic Age level

1 2.08%
  • Silver Age level

5 10.42%
  • Bronze Age level

9 18.75%
  • Post-COIE level

13 27.08%
  • Pre-Flashpoint level

4 8.33%
  • New 52 level

7 14.58%
  • Rebirtb level

2 4.17%
  • Power levels same, but keep only one specific weakness

3 6.25%
  • Power levels same, but lose all specific weaknesses

1 2.08%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default How powerful do you like your Kal?

Just taking the temperature on the topic.

We are at least partially aware that a double standard exists for Superman unlike any other superhero: he is simultaneously "always too over - powered" while also "always gets his ass beat by (insert character name here)". It's frustrating as a Superman fan ...

Until you realize that the people who make these types of complaints are not, never have been, and likely never will be, fans of Superman in the first place.

So, forget them. Nothing positive done with the character will ever please them, not when they have other favorites they want to see one - up Supes.

The point is: disregard their criticisms, and just state how powerful you'd like Superman to be. Poll forthcoming.

Me: I want him to be as powerful as a character can be without becoming unusable as a protagonist. So, nothing approaching Spectre levels. But far beyond what Byrne Superman was.

Truthfully, I want Superman to be the most powerful superhero who can also support his own title, which means at least in Classic Silver Surfer's range (or definitely past Marvel's Gladiator's range ... no direct homage / parody should outclass the original,
    imho).

Or conversely, keep him where he is at, but lose all or most of his specific weaknesses: i.e. you only keep one (or none) out of Kryptonite, Magic, and Red Solar Radiation.

Where do you want your Superman in terms of power scale? And why?

I don't really care how strong he is beyond "very strong", but that's because what I would do is focus on that Superman is an inspiration because of who he is and not what he can do.

How many weaknesses does superman actually have? I thought it was just kryptonite and Magic?

I am quite mixed in the subject. Post-Crisis level is what i prefer. That is because the first time i ever came in contact with Superman was Superman The Animated Series which was based on that incarnation. That show was among my favorite shows at that time. I still think its a wonderful show. So, by default i go back to the power levels of Post Crisis. And they are nothing to sneeze at. Lifting a mountain may not appear too wondrous now. But even with that he could conquer entire nations. There was a story during Byrne's run where he invades a country which was engaging in terrorism. May not be the best story in this climate. But the point is he was almost unstoppable even with that kind of power.

But i don't have problems with higher or lower power levels either. Golden Age Superman is so cool. Always in motion and full of excitement. A true 'Action comic'. Which was shown to an extent in the Fleischer cartoons. Yet my favorite Superman comic book is 'All Star Superman'. Who is as powerful as it gets. There's an appeal in an extremely powerful Superman too. Superman is after all supposed to be the most powerful hero. And too much power means its less exciting is a lie. I read 'Superman vs Muhammad Ali' a while ago. And i was amazed when by a thunderous clap of his fists he stops a tidal wave from drowning an island or a city. Can't recall exactly if it was a city or an island, as that display of power was so epic. Even the end has him destroying the whole alien armada near Saturn (barely). That was epic too. What's really needed is imagination in my opinion.

So, i stay with mixed. But tend to Post Crisis. With Silver Age levels my second choice. If only to increase the scope of the adventures.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-03-2018 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    How many weaknesses does superman actually have? I thought it was just kryptonite and Magic?
    Red sunlight is one more. Though magic can't technically be called a weakness. His invulnerability does not extend to magic. In front of magic he is just as vulnerable as any other average human being is.

So, in a way its a weakness as he is not so effective against magic. But its not a weakness like Kyptonite or Red Sun where he tends to loose his powers. And Kryptonite is actually lethal for him.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-03-2018 at 09:47 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Magic isn't a weakness, it just circumvents his invulnerability.

For me, none of those are actually bad. I was just reading some Dailies the other day, and forgot how much I love the leaping (part of me can even see Bendis bringing him back to this level). In a medium with static pictures, it makes for much more dynamic visuals than most artists produce with his flight. Unfortunately, it's so well ingrained that he flies that my mind doesn't fully accept it.

My answer would have to be: as powerful as someone can write him without putting his or herself into a corner. Like if you make him beyond lightspeed you really restrict your stories from commonly showing regular humans get the drop on him. The clever thing about the current comics is how ambiguous they make it.

I'd love to see him beat the Silver Surfer in a crossover or something, but that has less to do with power level and more to do with power set.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    I read Superman vs Muhammad Ali a while ago. And i was amazed when by a thunderous clap of his fists he stops a tidal wave from drowning an island or a city. Can't recall exactly if it was a city or an island, as that display of power was so epic.
    Same, when BBally posted his review. Neal Adams really killed that one. I dunno how it looked exactly in the original but the Deluxe Edition colors were excellent.

BANNED

I like his powerlevels to be inconsistent.

Regular solo Action Comics Kal and Justice League Kal and beating-up-Darkseid-in-a-massive-event Kal should not have the same powerlevel.

I'd love to see Clark juggling multiple planets at once, but that is too much. My ideal choice would be this - New52 Superman's physical strength + Post Crisis Superman's senses, durability, speed, striking power, skills, heat vision, freeze breath and everything else. Wouldn't mind giving him one more USEFUL ability, emphasis on useful, so no stupid powers like super flare.

Weaknesses - He'd have only one weakness, green Kryptonite.

He'd be -

1. The strongest being on Earth. If Superman's strength is at 100 tons level, whoever the next character is, his strength will be at 70 tons level. Clark's striking power also will be unparalleled (among other heroes).
    2. Most durable being on Earth.
    3. Fastest being who is not connected to the speed force.

Give this version to me and I will be pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Magic isn't a weakness, it just circumvents his invulnerability.

For me, none of those are actually bad. I was just reading some Dailies the other day, and forgot how much I love the leaping (part of me can even see Bendis bringing him back to this level). In a medium with static pictures, it makes for much more dynamic visuals than most artists produce with his flight. Unfortunately, it's so well ingrained that he flies that my mind doesn't fully accept it.

My answer would have to be: as powerful as someone can write him without putting his or herself into a corner. Like if you make him beyond lightspeed you really restrict your stories from commonly showing regular humans get the drop on him. The clever thing about the current comics is how ambiguous they make it.

I'd love to see him beat the Silver Surfer in a crossover or something, but that has less to do with power level and more to do with power set.

Same, when BBally posted his review. Neal Adams really killed that one. I dunno how it looked exactly in the original but the Deluxe Edition colors were excellent.
    Yes that single moment of stopping that tidal wave convinced me that its not level of powers which restrict the story from being exciting. Rather imagination. Unless we are taking powers so far that we can't tell a continuous story. Superman of DC One Million for example.

And i don't mind Superman jumping around as other fans do. I think its awesome. After all even while leaping tall buildings in a single bound he is 'Super'. That's something no man can do.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-03-2018 at 10:26 AM.

I think that New 52 Superman have a pretty good power level. And definitely take off all those weakness, keep only green kryptonite.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Probably Bronze Age. From what I've read, I think it struck the right balance between making him the mightiest hero without going too far in the at-times cartoonish directions/"new power as the plot demands" levels of the Silver Age.

Why not put kryptonite particulates in the Earth atmosphere, so he’s only Post-COIE on Earth, but Silver Age levels of power in deep space?

Astonishing Member

I voted for the Bronze Age as I remember those stories as having Superman in his best place in the DCU. While we still had the occasional over-the-top moment they weren't on the level of sneezing out stars, juggling black holes, etc; Powerful enough to be at the top of the pyramid of planetary heroes but not so powerful that he can solve every problem "by listening hard"

But if he was in a solo universe where we didn't have 80 years of other heroes and villains playing "Top This!!", I wouldn't mind seeing him as a slightly beefed up Original Golden Age scale character. Maybe a little more powerful than Action #1 but still at a level where a threat to Metropolis would be a major challenge and patrolling the country (let alone the Earth or solar system) would be impossible.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Why not put kryptonite particulates in the Earth atmosphere, so he’s only Post-COIE on Earth, but Silver Age levels of power in deep space?
    You could do something similar without the kryptonite. Just invoke the defenses our atmosphere gives us from radiation. So on a planet like Earth whatever his energy source is doesn't reach him as well.

Kryptonite in the atmosphere just raises too many other issues. Plus it seems like an idea lifted from Superfolks (even if it probably isn't).

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I voted Bronze Age. He was still powerful, but not quite the planet juggler of the silver age.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.