View Poll Results: Will You Miss Bendis?

Voters
191. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

38 19.90%
  • No

141 73.82%
  • Couldn't Say - Haven't decided yet

12 6.28%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dragonschi View Post
    not even a little.

i did love his take on the recent defenders and i'm sure there are a few other runs of his that i have enjoyed. However, the few good stories do not make up for the whole.
    Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    i've read little of his work at marvel, but what i have read has ranged from "just ok" to "damaging-to-the-mu bad." i wish he had left years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by angrel-san View Post
    absolutely not.

he can only write street and daredevil and mostly average to above average there.
    Quote Originally Posted by panfoot View Post
    nope.

10char
    Quote Originally Posted by colossus1980 View Post
    won't miss him. wish he left earlier.
    Quote Originally Posted by maximofftrash View Post
    if you ignored the characters he butchered, yeah, you may enjoy that.
    his idea isn't even "novel", busiek did this large scale reality warping story already, byrne did the psycho wanda already.
    and you know what? they respect the continuity, i don't like byrne's dipection of her but at least he had a build-up for her later insanity.
    But did bendis do? Oh she suddenly remembered her dead kids who she actually already remembered in the 90s!
    He didn't even bother to check the character's history, it's a psycho plot device wearing wanda's skin in avengers dissembled/house of m.
    And the praising for house of m feels like people appreciate a mushroom cloud caused by nuclear blast, yeah, that's how i see what bendis did to certain characters, it's like nuking them and leaving them in a disastrous fallout.

I won't miss him, but i guess i will be reminded of him whenever i see those who got nuked.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmunroe View Post
    no. I'm not sure i've ever encountered another writer with such a flagrant lack of regard for previously established continuity and canonically correct characterization.

i agree with those that said it'd been better if he had left earlier, but at least he's gone. Respectfully speaking.

No more character assasination.
    Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    fair enough, however, how much can a writer be a slave to continuity? Does he need to go back to the beginning and not deviate at all? For me continuity does not matter and whenever a new writer jumps on a title i can accept they will put their own spin on the material.

I understand that previous writers have a reality warping story before, but did it have the same effect as house of m?
    Quote Originally Posted by sighphi View Post
    major events should not be ignored. putting a new spin should not mean creating the character anew. so no i will not miss reading constant retcons in every book wrote.
    Quote Originally Posted by maximofftrash View Post
    effect as in putting characters in limbo for 7 years and still get hostile **** from editorial? Nope, not at all.
    Like seriously, he didn't want to give a solid reason nor did he give an out for wanda, her past and future got slipped apart by this in a bad way.

I am not asking for anyone to be a slave of continuity, there is a middle ground between being a slave and being a total irresponsible continuity butcher.
    there are details that can be altered or ignored, but i am talking about wanda doing fine in a team she called home and dealing with her trauma long ago, then suddenly bendis randomly decided she was the sacrifice to his new reign of avengers, and he just casually throw away chaos magic, a well-establishd power system by busiek like it's trash and replace it with vague "with great insanity comes great power" bs.
    and he let doctor strange of all people do the explanation about why wanda was nuts, the man who was directly involved in the birth of wanda's children, pretend he was never there.

It's just ridiculous. It's like if game of throne jumping right into red wedding in season one when robb became the king in the north, no build-up, no reason, just for shock value.

If he just want to have a new take on characters, be my guest, but what he did is blowing them up like fire works to cheer up whatever he was actually doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by iron maiden View Post
    nope, i won't miss him either. Most of the time when i've read bendis it wasn't because i liked his writing but because i liked the characters in the book. then the decompression sets in. I don't really think it's so much a style but that there's not much depth to the story. so he stretches it to fix the typical number of comics that's needed for a tpb. And yeah, he's stuck in a rut and anyone that's been reading his invincible iron man will probably agree.

besides not respecting the continuity of events that have happened with a character, and yes what he did with wanda was probably the worst of his offenses, there's been times when he simply ignores events in his own stories. he'll have some major scene and then in the next issue, it's not brought up. Then 4, 5, 6 issues goes by. I think maybe he's hoping the readers have forgotten about and since he hasn't come up with anything to follow up he just drops it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nomads1 View Post
    no. My distaste for bendis finds its roots in the essence of his writing style.

i really like writers who build upon the history of the characters, the continuity, even when i'm unfamiliar with it. don't care much for decompression, and i like writers who can find different voices for the characters (i honestly never got the fans who say he writes dialogues like real people talk. Sure if everyone is a attention deficit disorder bevis 'n butthead wannabe teenager. but, i'm trying to keep it civil here, so, let's skip this part).

As you can see, bendis is the exact opposite of what i enjoy in a writer.

few others displease me so much (mark millar, judd winnick and chuck austen come to mind), however, none of them had their hands on favorites of mine for soooo long, to the point of making me quit reading some of my favorite books (winnick also made me quit the outsiders).
    Now, bendis is going over to dc, to write another character i usually enjoy reading (and i am liking quite a lot jurgens, tomasi and gleason's run). I'll admit that i'm liking some of the things thst i've been reading about bendis' insights on superman (such as the foccus on clark as a reporter) but i sincerelly doubt bendis abilities of writing the book in a way that would please me. i've given him pleanty of chances only to be severly disappointed every single time.

peace
    hear, hear!

I loved his Ultimate Spider-Man run, but that's the only thing by him I've read, and since there was never a plan to restart the Peter Parker version of USM, there's not really anything I'm missing by him leaving.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Fair enough, however, how much can a writer be a slave to continuity? Does he need to go back to the beginning and not deviate at all? For me continuity does not matter and whenever a new writer jumps on a title I can accept they will put their own spin on the material.

I understand that previous writers have a reality warping story before, but did it have the same effect as House of M?
    Key moments in their lives yes it needs to be respected.

Happy he's gone but worried for Superman but DC will just reboot his mistakes gone in a few years.

HELL NO. He ruined Scemma
    Rant
    Jean really is the worst character in Marvel, isn't she?
    Scemma forever Triangle never.
    Scott needs an alpha female like Bettsy.
    What woman wouldn't be attracted to Scott? He's 100% alpha male who tells the Avengers to go f*#& themselves.
    I want cyclops back free from any ginger women to be his own man.
    Logically..
    TeenClops should have lusted for Emma & Cuckoos. Especially Stepford Cuckoos! They're teenage triplet clones of his hottest ex, how could he not be?
    End of rant

Ultimate Member

I really liked Bendis but in recent times he’s shown some serious creative burn out.

His recent stuff has been so god damn slow and plots just seem forgotten. I can’t really say I’ll miss him.

His move to DC is a good thing for him. He needs a new challenge.

I'm not a fan of Bendis but I know that marvel and fans owe him for many interesting stories and creation of some characters like Miles. I personally love him with street level characters like Defenders, Daredevil, Luke Cage and Jessica Jones but never enjoyed his work in events or with other characters. He have good ideas but have problems with the conclusion and the last events written by him more seemed a recycling of ideas.

His exit was good for both sides and marvel needs to move on.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I hesitated to vote no because I didn't want to pile on with the people complaining about him, but I feel his best work at Marvel was behind him and that Marvel has newer writers that need time to shine.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

No. Only because he'll be on D.C and I'll still be able to read his stuff. Had he retired from writing than I'd miss him a bit as I don't mind him as a writer.

No.
    Him leaving Marvel was the best comics news for me in the recent past.

Edit: I see a lot of people talking about continuity, the problem is not changing things. The problem is doing this while doing the modicum of work required to make it work and make sense, respecting what came before. Instead Bendis approach was "I want to write this thing, I don't care about what other writers did before me, I'll do it anyway and won't bother to explain how and why... let's say it was magic or something". Basically he always was completely disrespectful to Marvel's continuity, character's characterizations and previous authors and storylines. Again, the problem was not he changed things. Every other author before him did in some way. The problem was he never explained why characters acted the opposite as they did before, why things that were explained a way suddenly changed and why powersets were stronger or weaker as he needed to get "his story" going.

I see Marvel's history as an organic project with each author building on what was before and adding his take, making the picture richer. Bendis on the other hand acted like a child who used the Marvel Universe as "his toy" and did whatever he pleased not caring if he broke it in a few places in the process.
    Last edited by Haquim; 03-04-2018 at 04:26 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I will miss him. I actually enjoyed his Avengers' run. I say that as an old school fan. It was different. I also enjoyed Secret Invasion, and Siege. I did not like AvX, nor did I follow his X-Men stuff.

I do agree he needed a change. Best of luck to him.

Bendis on the other hand acted like a child who used the Marvel Universe as "his toy" and did whatever he pleased not caring if he broke it in a few places in the process.
    Not caring is one thing. He went out of his way to break things.

I remember one interview he did when he started moving away from Ultimate Spider-man into mainstream marvel where he said one of the first things he wanted to do was kill a bunch of 90s characters.

Spectacular Member

Other than USM, everything he touched while at Marvel was utter crap, from butchering characters to completely ignoring continuity in favor of what he considered "cooler". I literally quit buying Marvel books because of him. His leaving for DC is one of the best things to happen to Marvel in decades.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I liked his Avengers stuff, but that's been over for a while so no.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Not caring is one thing. He went out of his way to break things.

I remember one interview he did when he started moving away from Ultimate Spider-man into mainstream marvel where he said one of the first things he wanted to do was kill a bunch of 90s characters.
    Most of it was marketing. He always did "big things" in the opening issues of his runs and that caused people to buy because of the hype. Then his decompressed writing style and the inability to make things matter or be interesting after the initial stunt caused the series to lose direction and he quickly "changed horses", repeating the same scheme, again and again.

I think he would have been fine if they left in the alternate universes writing stories hat were soley his. The problems came when he was asked to continue a character/story. I think Marvel will miss him over time, but also Marvel is to blame for the animosity towards Bendis as they never should have put him in charge of the 616 stories (or at least pulled him out instead of doubling down and giving him an event).

He has his niche where he shines.