View Poll Results: Will You Miss Bendis?

Voters
191. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

38 19.90%
  • No

141 73.82%
  • Couldn't Say - Haven't decided yet

12 6.28%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Haquim View Post
    No.
    Him leaving Marvel was the best comics news for me in the recent past.

Edit: I see a lot of people talking about continuity, the problem is not changing things. The problem is doing this while doing the modicum of work required to make it work and make sense, respecting what came before. Instead Bendis approach was "I want to write this thing, I don't care about what other writers did before me, I'll do it anyway and won't bother to explain how and why... let's say it was magic or something". Basically he always was completely disrespectful to Marvel's continuity, character's characterizations and previous authors and storylines. Again, the problem was not he changed things. Every other author before him did in some way. The problem was he never explained why characters acted the opposite as they did before, why things that were explained a way suddenly changed and why powersets were stronger or weaker as he needed to get "his story" going.

I see Marvel's history as an organic project with each author building on what was before and adding his take, making the picture richer. Bendis on the other hand acted like a child who used the Marvel Universe as "his toy" and did whatever he pleased not caring if he broke it in a few places in the process.
    This is one of the best post I have read on this topic and on this forum in general. Great analysis!
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

It took the wind out of my sails that he left Marvel. There is a distinct lack of long term vision and planning at Marvel now. It’s like Marvel has lost its guru to whom they can bounce ideas off.

I could write a dissertation on the effect of Bendis on Marvel. I am aware of the negativity that Bendis causes in fandom, but I look at the broader picture over the two decades he was present and what it has brought to the industry - freshness, brutality, reality, grownup renditions of characters and situations. Bendis May have deviated from the classical super hero formula, but his interference had matured how we look at characters now as not just role models, but human as well.

I look forward to Bendis’ version of Superman and Clark Kent, and hopefully Batman and Green Lantern. Hal Jordon is a particular favourite of mine, that had been handled rather two dimensionally his whole career. I’d like to see him humanised with the Bendis treatment, much like Superman, who is in great need of being de-constructed because the infallibility is wearing thin.
    Last edited by jackolover; 03-04-2018 at 06:25 PM.

I'm one of the 82%. I won't miss him. Continuity and characterization are not absolute but it should be respected to a certain point. His main events left a bad taste in most peoples mouths and the reason most fans don't want to see anymore for awhile. Other writers as well to be fair. Just my opinion. Marvel will be better off without him in the long run. Also I was never a fan of the shock value gimmick.

it does make me wonder who the next punching bag.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I could write a dissertation on the effect of Bendis on Marvel. I am aware of the negativity that Bendis causes in fandom, but I look at the broader picture over the two decades he was present and what it has brought to the industry - freshness, brutality, reality, grownup renditions of characters and situations. Bendis May have deviated from the classical super hero formula, but his interference had matured how we look at characters now as not just role models, but human as well.
    I nearly had an aneurysm.
    The Sidekicks Podcast made by comics newbies, for comics newbies.

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    My money is on Aaron. There's already people who hate his version of Thor (I love it) and now that he's getting the Avengers I think he'll be the next scape goat.

Personally I think he's done great, but that's my bet.

Has/will Scarlet Witch recover/ed from her character assassination?

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I think she has. Others would disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    Definitely Aaron, he's one of the bigger writers left at Marvel. Personally I don't care about any Thor so I don't really pay attention to that but he did some serious damage to Doctor Strange and his run on the Star Wars book was some of the most bland filler ever(though I won't lay all the blame on him for that, I'm sure he was pretty heavily restricted characters/settings/plots). I can definitely see his Avengers run having a real mixed reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Depends on who you ask.

Technically more than 10 years without appearing in comics and Children Crusade are Wanda redemption taking her guilt and putting in Doom. But Children's Crusade was poorly written and many X-fans have not forgiven her yet.

Fortunately thanks to synergy of the movies Wanda managed to recover and was even separated from is mutant origin along with Pietro gaining a solo that was well received and praised by many.

Wanda was probably the most sacrificed character by Bendis but there are others.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandEleven View Post
    My money is on Aaron. There's already people who hate his version of Thor (I love it) and now that he's getting the Avengers I think he'll be the next scape goat.

Personally I think he's done great, but that's my bet.
    Probably. Personally, I find him quite boring as a writer, and would have prefered someone else at the Avengers helm, but I'm willing to wait and see. However, after Original Sin and Schism I'd say there's plenty of reason for people to doubt his writing skills. Can't speak for Thor, as I haven't read it, but I hear good things.

Peace

Thanks.

That's all I got. I'm not sure that the movie's higher profile and the new 'retcon' without previous parentage really helped comic book Wanda, but you're right, and others.

Still, why would I miss Bendix for putting us through that?

Astonishing Member

Of course, he's responsible for the most popular newest hero in Marvel and DC in the past 15 years. (Miles Morales.)

That's not to say he didn't have flaws. But his accomplishments definitely surpasses his flaws by 2 fold.

- Again, he created Miles Morales. Which..

- Helped sparked the revolution of the ANAD Marvel, to where now we finally have minority solo series that sells enough to last and not get canceled in like 5 issues.

- Formed the first interracial marriage in Marvel Comics. The fact that it took that long to begin with is appalling. But not did he create the first interracial marriage, but that
    relationship still remains as one of the only BM/WF relationships in Marvel Comics running currently.

- Gave us RiRi, who's well on her way to reach the same stardom as Miles Morales if she's given the same level of attention.

- Ultimately he's been of the biggest proponents for diversity within Marvel, and with him leaving, that's a huge blow for Marvel on that front.

Has any other character been destroyed as thoroughly as the Scarlet Witch was?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Ollie 1962 View Post
    Will you miss Brian Michael Bendis' being at Marvel?
    Don't know. Who's going to be writing Jessica Jones?

Sandy Hausler