Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I think she does smile in the new trailer but it's still an underwhelming preview. This new thing to have female heroines express themselves more like men is what's hurting it. Gotta say WW didn't have that problem Gadot was both feminine/sexy and powerful.
    Why are people seemingly erasing the existence of tomboys? I would think of all female action stars we've had recently, her character fits that mold the most organically.

Strangely, I think what's hurting it is that the comic fan perception isn't bleeding onto the average movie goer. They don't know who she is, but comic fans equally don't care about her character, especially recently. Thus being equally underwhelmed. As opposed to Guardians, Strange, and Antman which had certain stars to draw people in, music, etc.

lol I seriously never have seen such a unanamous "shrug" to a Marvel movie until now.

Even stranger is after all that being said, I sure a lot of people will still see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sain View Post
    Why are people seemingly erasing the existence of tomboys? I would think of all female action stars we've had recently, her character fits that mold the most organically.

Strangely, I think what's hurting it is that the comic fan perception isn't bleeding onto the average movie goer. They don't know who she is, but comic fans equally don't care about her character, especially recently. Thus being equally underwhelmed. As opposed to Guardians, Strange, and Antman which had certain stars to draw people in, music, etc.

lol I seriously never have seen such a unanamous "shrug" to a Marvel movie until now.

Even stranger is after all that being said, I sure a lot of people will still see it.
    Out of morbid curiosity perhaps. Or they're seeing it for other reasons besides the titular character (Coulsen, Fury, how it ties to Endgame, etc). As long as they see it, right? But that could play into no repeat viewings or word of mouth answering these questions for people on the fence which could affect box office.

I'm guessing out loud, and this could be a monster hit, but I do get the "unanimous shrug" vibe currently. I think the problem is it doesn't look fun at all. Not horrible or bad, nothing like that, just not...fun.

With the big red logo of Marvel on it i don't really have doubts that a lot of people are going to see it.

Which says nothing about the actual quality of the movie itself of course. But yeah, money is coming, the evil mouse will see to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    At least the current version of Superman on the CW shows knows how to smile.
    OMG, this again? I like superheroes that are well written and acted. And yet the Captain Marvel haters seem to think the only quality that matters is a flipping grin!

Quote Originally Posted by Elden View Post

Superman is the most boring superhero of all. Even at it's worst Marvel is a million times better.
    Superman is a million times more interesting than Captain America, in my book.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sain View Post

I don't think ppl have a problem with tomboys. I think of someone like Ronda Rousey who's kinda a tomboy but at the same time really sensitive and expressive. Brie definitely has more acting chops than Ronda though but I think the iteration of this character isn't her fault. She's being directed to act this way.

But you're right the combination of blah who cares from both comic fans and moviegoers is hurting it. But Brie looks blah who cares in the trailers...so. But yeah I think ppl will see it because it's Marvel and ties into IW.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 12-11-2018 at 04:48 PM.

Retired

There are some things about the second CAPTAIN MARVEL trailer that make me wonder if the people who made it wanted to invite comparisons with the SHAZAM! trailer. There's some music selection with the big percussion beats and the shots on the subway that call back to Billy's trailer. I'd like to see someone do a mash-up of the two trailers as if it's all one movie.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I don't think ppl have a problem with tomboys. I think of someone like Ronda Rousey who's kinda a tomboy but at the same time really sensitive and expressive. Brie definitely has more acting chops than Ronda though but I think the iteration of this character isn't her fault. She's being directed to act this way.

But you're right the combination of blah who cares from both comic fans and moviegoers is hurting it. But Brie looks blah who cares in the trailers...so. But yeah I think ppl will see it because it's Marvel and ties into IW.
    If this weren't an MCU movie it would probably make Atomic Blonde or even Elektra type money.

BANNED

Am a DC fan. shazam wins for me. May the goodwill of aquaman bless shazam. shazam could be DC's deadpool.

I think Shazam will do well, but I would like it to have more than 3 weeks at the theater before the unstoppable Endgame arrives.

I mean, yes, Aquaman has made about $260 domestically in 3 weekends, but it still has more weeks of no competition to push it even higher.

I'm telling ya, I think Warners should try to move up Shazam's release by a week to end-March if it's at all possible that the theater owners would go for it.

As for Captain Marvel, I've seen Marvel try to ape Wonder Woman's marketing a bit to position the movie as a girl power thing, but I just don't think it's taking root among kids to any real degree. A lot of it is that Wonder Woman was a known character before her movie, but I think the generic name "Captain Marvel" doesn't really mean anything inspirational to a young girl the way that "Wonder Woman" does.

Just as comics fans aren't buying the idea of Captain Marvel being Marvel's Wonder Woman, I don't think the general public is either. That being said, the movie's connection to the MCU will guarantee it at least $300 million domestic and over $800 million worldwide.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    That being said, the movie's connection to the MCU will guarantee it at least $300 million domestic and over $800 million worldwide.
    That seems wildly optimistic to me. I think Marvel would be excited if it made Spider-man: Homecoming numbers. They aren't looking for a repeat of Black Panther here.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    That seems wildly optimistic to me. I think Marvel would be excited if it made Spider-man: Homecoming numbers. They aren't looking for a repeat of Black Panther here.
    For real and let's remember nothing is guaranteed in the movie biz definitely 800 mil is not a guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    There are a lot of YouTube videos out there hating on Captain Marvel similar to the hate Ghostbusters 2016 got. I don't recall Black Panther getting this kind of hate. I get the idea that
    the same people that avoided Ghostbusters may avoid Captain Marvel and that could ultimately hurt the Captain Marvel box office.

For example:

Astonishing Member

I hope both movies do well but I don't see the hype there for either. Wonder if the numbers will be like Ant-Man and the Wasp domestic and WW.

After Black Panther put up those obscene numbers for a solo movie everything seems underwhelming IMO.

Captain marvel only has like an 150 million budget which generally means they aren't looking for crazy returns but they do have decent marketing push so they want do a little better than Antman and Wasp.

I worry more about Shazam which could feel to cheesy for adult audience but it should do solid as either Superhero movie or family movie. Shazam has more flop potential and Captain Marvel has I am going to see "Avengers Endgame" okay I have to see this movie before that let me see it once.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-10-2019 at 03:53 AM.