Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Default The War of 2019 : MCU's CAPTAIN MARVEL vs DCEU's SHAZAM!

Place yer bets!

Next year, we get two superhero movies debuting a month apart from each other: first in March 2019, we get CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson from Disney. Then in April 2019, we get SHAZAM! starring Zachary Levi from Warner.

CAPTAIN MARVEL is definitely going to be compared to 2017's WONDER WOMAN.

SHAZAM! ... hmmm ... is probably going to be compared to ... ummm ... I give up, no idea what the closest MCU comparison would be. ANT-MAN, maybe?

And these two films will certainly be compared to each other, due to the history of the name "Captain Marvel" at both Marvel and DC (and Fawcett).

So, which of these two Spring 2019 films do you think will eventually perform better at the box - office? And why?

My first super - early predictions:

CAPTAIN MARVEL has higher expectations , esp since there is no BLACK WIDOW movie yet. It has to make a statement of some kind, i.e "move the needle", to be a hit.

SHAZAM! merely has to "not suck" to be a smashing success (thanks BVS and JL).

I think SHAZAM! will do slightly better domestically, while CAPTAIN MARVEL does better globally.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Place yer bets!

Next year, we get two superhero movies debuting a month apart from each other: first in March 2019, we get CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson from Disney. Then in April 2019, we get SHAZAM! starring Zachary Levi from Warner.

CAPTAIN MARVEL is definitely going to be compared to 2017's WONDER WOMAN.

SHAZAM! ... hmmm ... is probably going to be compared to ... ummm ... I give up, no idea what the closest MCU comparison would be. ANT-MAN, maybe?

And these two films will certainly be compared to each other, due to the history of the name "Captain Marvel" at both Marvel and DC (and Fawcett).

So, which of these two Spring 2019 films do you think will eventually perform better at the box - office? And why?

My first super - early predictions:

CAPTAIN MARVEL has higher expectations , esp since there is no BLACK WIDOW movie yet. It has to make a statement of some kind, i.e "move the needle", to be a hit.

SHAZAM! merely has to "not suck" to be a smashing success (thanks BVS and JL).

I think SHAZAM! will do slightly better domestically, while CAPTAIN MARVEL does better globally.
    Closest comparison to SHAZAM is Man Of Steel, so low bar to hurdle. If it must be compared to a Marvel show, then Thor is the obvious comparison, with gods and magic and such.

There is no reason to think WB can predictably make a super hero movie until it at least had two in a row. Right now Wonder Woman is the outlier, not the norm, and I don't think that's likely to change after Aquaman. Or after SHAZAM, ftm.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Not interested in either, but i'm a HUGE fan of the director of Shazam! I think they both'll do well tho.

BANNED

Shazam is going to compared to the superhero movie it is most similar to, regardless of company.
    And you'd have to have watched the movie or at least a trailer to get an idea of what that movie is.

Actually, it's probably going to compared most to the most recent DCEU movie before it, which is *googles* Aquaman! Especially if Aquaman does poorly, which I expect it will.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

People will be salivating for Captain Marvel since there won't be any MCU movies since July
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-Men with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Strictly talking about box office, don't know enough either production to talk about quality, Captain Marvel has a MASSIVE advantage with the built in MCU fanbase, while being a part of the DCEU is more like hindrance than anything. Provided Infinity War doesn't disappoint that alone might net Captain Marvel the domestic box office, but if Aquaman is bad Shazam is going to suffer for it.
    Last edited by Kusanagi; 03-03-2018 at 06:02 PM.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Astonishing Member

I wonder if either of them has the ability to pass over 200M domestically. It will be interesting to see. I wonder if CM will be Marvel's first failure since the Incredible Hulk.

The character that is filmed by the company that knows how to make successful and entertaining superhero flicks will win this battle and that's Captain Marvel. I think Shazam is going to be another disaster. They'll probably try to make it a comedy more or less I bet and it'll stink up the joint. I do hope I'm wrong though. I like Shazam.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I wonder if [fill in the blank] will be Marvel's first failure since the Incredible Hulk.
    Well now. Here's a question that definitely has not been asked about every single last post-Avengers MCU movie ever.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
    The character that is filmed by the company that knows how to make successful and entertaining superhero flicks will win this battle and that's Captain Marvel. I think Shazam is going to be another disaster. They'll probably try to make it a comedy more or less I bet and it'll stink up the joint. I do hope I'm wrong though. I like Shazam.
    SHAZAM is the superhero that most obviously ought to be a comedy.

Captain Marvel

Pros: MCU/Marvel Studios Nuff Said. I mean it's very likely Infinity War and Ant-Man and the Wasp will do well and with the already strong MCU Brand Captain Marvel will benefit. The curiosity factor of both the character and how Marvel will handle their first female lead in a solo film.

Cons: The character is unknown to the general audience but look at Guardians and Ant-Man so I can't see than hurting it too much.

Shazam

Pros: It looks to be lighter in tone which some have wanted from the DCEU. Also with the Billy Batson angle kids might relate to it and kids film do make bank especially if they're not tedious for the parents to sit through.

Cons: DCEU, Sadly that will be albatross around it's neck now Wonder Woman over came it but she had being a cultural phenomenon to help not knocking WW it was a good film just saying being the first truly good female superhero film helped get people into seats this film won't have that.

I think Captain Marvel will be a hit at this point it would have to be a complete disaster to flop given the strength of the MCU brand.

Shazam if good I believe will do fine but not as good as Captain Marvel unless it connects with kids and families keep going back to watch then I think it will do as well and could possibly surpass Captain Marvel if Marvel is just ok because even just ok Marvel movies make money if Captain Marvel is really good or excellent then it will be no contest and Marvel will win the box office hands down between the two IMO.

Right now its too early to predict. We haven't even seen a trailer(s) or the marketing.

I would go with what looks like so far. Marvel's Captain Marvel leaves Shazam at the dust. MCU is a juggernaut. They have that sweet momentum where no superhero film can challenge them. They always manage to make crowd pleasing films which DC find difficult, not to speak of their polarizing reception so far.

That is by no means a final prediction. Its too early. Who knows Captain Marvel would turn out to be a polarizing film. And Shazam! turns out to be real good. And i am hoping it turns out to be real good. DC desperately needs a couple of success stories to get back on track. Each film has seen diminishing opening weekends since BvS.

By history Captain Marvel shall open better. Audiences are simply loving Marvel offerings. Shazam! has to put up a really good ad campaign to get a comparable and possibly better opening.

After that its quality. How much its liked by the audiences. Going by history Marvel would do better. But don't count out Shazam!
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-03-2018 at 08:54 PM.

I think from now on things are going to start turning in DCs favor.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I think from now on things are going to start turning in DCs favor.
    Is this based on anything beyond wishful thinking? Flashpoint just got yet another director.

Can't say i care much for being honest. Never been a big fan of Captain Marvel or of his blonde Marvel's counterpart.