Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default CW misses the Point of the Lost Boys .

The Lost Boys was a classic 1980's vampire movie. The entire film had this sense of , lets throw some of the funniest things about vampires out and just have some fun with it. You want a guy playing awesome sax in a spot or how about teenage motorcycle vampires ?

The film itself made Keifer Sutherland a bigger star as we all know. He would go onto Young Guns and numerous other roles. Then you had the 2 Corey's who were hitting their teenage APEX at the right moment. The film wisely had them become pretty much best friends in the movie and save one of their brothers. But it was the young Frog brothers who played a major role in it. Both were geeky monster loving , comic book nerd types who wanted to protect America from the forces of evil in vampires.

When this silly film arrived The Lost Boys referred to the vampires as many will post. But after its success the director Joel Schumacher wanted to do a sequel but things went into development hell for a long time. One spin-off concept was the Lost Girls with new female sisters facing off against a female vampire or Sutherland returning to play again. Then in 2000's Fieldman finally got 2 of the Lost Boys sequels made. They weren't....well...they didn't have the young charm of the boys involved.

That is when the series it seemed shifted the whole Lost Boys meaning. Where as the Frog brothers were not intended as The Lost Boys in the title of the main movie then ; they seemed to represent the fact their lives had became lost to this war and world they had fallen into as we saw later. They were now older and more bitter to the fact that this war with vampires was never ending.

A 3rd sequel was planned but the studio behind things went broke and WB didn't do anymore of them. While I never cared to see the older brother films ; the original was a classic to me and had a great template for what a TV series could do. You could have 12-14 year old HS brothers end up saving a girl's brother who becomes a vampire. You could create a whole world of vampires from motorcycle ones to skateboard vampires etc. In fact in one of the best moves you could even touch on the Lost Girls concept that never happened and introduce 2 sisters who compete against the Frog brothers.

It was something that could have been epic done as a 10-13 episode series a season. So imagine how shocked I was when CW announced a Lost Boys TV series. I had high hopes for it til I learned CW basically was gonna use the same stupid template of making it a female led HS show where its a typical **** fest about couples and relationships with vampires. Its like they saw fucking Buffy and thought , well we need a new version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer but without calling it Buffy. Also a director from Twilight is involved.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/the-los...ot-1202567314/

Now I am a very open person and applaud changes to shows that really make sense. I enjoy changes like Johnny Storm being played by Michael B. Jordan. I really wanted Elba to be cast as Reed Richards at one point (and still do). I also applauded the changing of the TV series Jack McGee recently (Incredible Hulk 1970's show) being changed to Jacqueline McGee in the Immortal Hulk comics. It was great move and all.

But this ...well this just seems like just lazy as hell ideas by lazy executives who wanna keep doing the same thing at their network. I mean they have one show that they will never cancel in Supernatural (14 seasons ...come on) and Vampire Diaries. Its like they literally sit and thought of nothing at all here and decided to do a typical CW vampire show that they have done for years.

Its the laziness involved that is sad and wanting to stir people to watch by switching genders etc. Instead of ...hey lets do something unique here. We really can do something completely different than what we have currently on schedule from comic shows and vampire shows. Instead they sit and threw darts at the typical deal.

HS romantic issues
    Mix vampires involved
    Gonna have no real grit or silliness involved as its gonna be over DRAMATIC.

In all... I will avoid this. It likely will run 10 seasons and CW will keep renewing it like they do everything.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Oh god, they're going to freaking Twilight/Vampire Diaries the Lost Boys? ****! The Lost Boys is one of those classics where the vampires are, you know, scary and goddamn evil! We don't need another romantic vampire thing, don't we have enough? Seriously? Really? I'd wish for it to fail, but seeing as this is a CW series it'll fall right in line with much of their viewership, so we're looking at this lasting nine seasons easy. God fucking damn it.

By the way, I actually liked the sequels, especially that last one.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Oh god, they're going to freaking Twilight/Vampire Diaries the Lost Boys? ****! The Lost Boys is one of those classics where the vampires are, you know, scary and goddamn evil! We don't need another romantic vampire thing, don't we have enough? Seriously? Really? I'd wish for it to fail, but seeing as this is a CW series it'll fall right in line with much of their viewership, so we're looking at this lasting nine seasons easy. God fucking damn it.

As I told my friend who is a bigger horror fan , the Lost Boys should stay as kids in my thoughts. I would have liked them to be 12-14 years old and battling these monster type threats at one period. They should be comical outcasts beyond a few folks like Sam. But they should be the actual ones saving the world that no one knows.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

ugh not another CW vampire show. Good grief.

Lost Boys was a classic. Fright Night, Lost Boys and a few other 80s monsters movies are still enjoyable to this day. They don't make movies like those anymore. i'm probably gonna pass.

I hope Julie Plec isn't producing this. She always makes the most contrived shows.
    The J-man

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    ugh not another CW vampire show. Good grief.

Lost Boys was a classic. Fright Night, Lost Boys and a few other 80s monsters movies are still enjoyable to this day. They don't make movies like those anymore. i'm probably gonna pass.

I hope Julie Plec isn't producing this. She always makes the most contrived shows.
    Don't forget Near Dark as well.

This show is gonna be a dud.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post

Yeah when they did the remake of "The Wolfman", I thought they were going to "Twilight" it and thank goodness they didn't. I really don't want to see the Lost Boys as lovesick teenagers in an endless teen romance cycle. But, then again, I'm not the target audience.
    Power with Girl is better.