Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Don't worry guys, Snyder is done with DCEU. As sorry as I am for him, considering the tragic circumstances of his departure, it was definitely for the better. The DCEU has finally a chance of showing it's true potential.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    Don't worry guys, Snyder is done with DCEU. As sorry as I am for him, considering the tragic circumstances of his departure, it was definitely for the better. The DCEU has finally a chance of showing it's true potential.
    Yeah, but now they seem to be bringing in some directors who have primarily done horror before this.

I still can't believe how goofy Zachary Levy looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Yeah, but now they seem to be bringing in some directors who have primarily done horror before this.

I'm fine with that. Worked out ok for Dr starnge(Solid Middle of the road MCU movie for me with some nice twists but some people loved) half of the directors marvel has hired have been out of left field. So I'm ok with that as long as they have a different vision then what we had been given by Snyder.

Good summary of what we know so far about the CAPTAIN MARVEL movie

Still not feeling great about it being a prequel set in the 1990s. Hated that WWI setting for WONDER WOMAN, and I really don't like this trend of women's solo super-heroics all being in the past.
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 04-21-2018 at 08:18 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Still not feeling great about it being a prequel set in the 1990s. Hated that WWI setting for WONDER WOMAN, and I really don't like this trend of women's solo super-heroics all being in the past.
    They sort of have to in this case, where they obviously want Carol to be a very experienced superhero, on the same level at least as the other Avengers, that somehow nobody has ever heard off.

BANNED

They sort of have to in this case, where they obviously want Carol to be a very experienced superhero, on the same level at least as the other Avengers, that somehow nobody has ever heard off.
    Not to mention it seems pretty clear there's an in-story reason they can't have any movies set between Infinity War and Avengers 4. But I guess we'll know for sure in a week.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    I still can't believe how goofy Zachary Levy looks.
    Looks like Captain Marvel, in my humble opinion. I never understood why people thought John Cena was perfect for the part. Cena doesn’t look like the Big Red Cheese to me.

C.C. Beck modelled Cap on Fred MacMurray. He packed on a few pounds over the years, but CM was never over-muscled. From the pics I’ve seen, Levi looks the image of the World’s Mightiest Mortal.

So, time for a quick check - in. I've since seen INFINITY WAR and saw the stinger with her emblem. So ... she's the last hope for the entire MCU? Or do you think that text was meant for her predecessor Mar-Vell?

And this idea that Brie Larson 's Captain Marvel will be the most powerful hero in the MCU ... is that something from the comics? Was original Captain Mar-Vell on par with Thor? Has Carol ever been a planet - buster before?

Very curious to see how this plays out next year.

Jersey City - or you can call it The TWiLighT Zone

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Good summary of what we know so far about the CAPTAIN MARVEL movie

Wonder Woman setting is pretty much a homage to the tv series..

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 5Eyes View Post
    Wonder Woman setting is pretty much a homage to the tv series..
    I don't see how it is. She's in the wrong World War for starters.

Jersey City - or you can call it The TWiLighT Zone

I don't see how it is. She's in the wrong World War for starters.
    I will always believe that they put her in that World War series due to not wanting to be liken to Captain America.. as how its a homage

Her first set of series is set in the World war , and her new series was was set in the present at that time it was the 80's

BANNED

I will always believe that they put her in that World War series due to not wanting to be liken to Captain America.. as how its a homage
    That much is obvious.

Her first set of series is set in the World war , and her new series was was set in the present at that time it was the 80's
    But her comic also started during WWII, this is not something that is unique to the Lynda Carter series, this is something the show got from the comics.
    And the show was cancelled in 1979.

Besides, you don't spend gazillions of dollars to set a movie in a certain era to to homage a tv show.

Retired

They might have set WONDER WOMAN in the First World War to avoid comparisons to CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER--although, it didn't really work as people continue to make the comparison and don't seem to know the difference between the two wars--but I think in the end, the story they came up with had to be in the earlier war and would never have worked if it was the Second World War. Because the First was a moral quagmire, whereas most people feel strongly that the Second was a war between Good and Evil.

When I got around to watching CAPTAIN AMERICA, I was greatly disappointed. It was nothing like WONDER WOMAN nor was it much about the Second World War. It just used that war to introduce a totally made up war between Marvel good guys (precursors to SHIELD) and HYDRA. It didn't really deal with the real world issues of the Second World War--the way that WONDER WOMAN did with the First--and instead introduced a fantasy menace that was supposedly more of a threat than Hitler. WONDER WOMAN did a better job of integrating the fantasy element with the problems of the period.

Maybe Patty Jenkins wants to give a nod to the TV WONDER WOMAN, without directly stepping on the toes. The first Gal Gadot movie deals with the world situation that made the Second World War inevitable. Ares even alludes to that. Thus serving as a kind of preface to the ABC Lynda Carter series. WW 1984 will take place in the world after the CBS Lynda Carter series that was set in the 1970s. If you put them all together you have several epochs of Wonder Woman--you could even assume that the Ellie Wood Walker, Cathy Lee Crosby and Adrianne Palicki incarnations all fit in the same timeline, too.

BANNED

I will always believe that they put her in that World War series due to not wanting to be liken to Captain America..
    No one is likely to confuse WW with CA, no matter what war it's in. Further, few movie-goers are going to distinguish between World War 1 and World War II.

It's far more likely they chose WWI as the setting because that's the most appropriate place for the story they wanted to tell. It was the first time the scope of human battle changed to the global stage. The weapons, tactics and delivery systems all became more brutal. Torture was commonplace on the field of battle all around the world. Respect for life descended to levels not seen since Napolean, and then it was largely localized.

It was exactly the sort of time and situation Aries would have returned to if his plan was to do what Diana thought it was. WWII was an extension of WWI, but if the movie had been set in WWII, a difficult question would have had to have been answered: Where was Aries during the last Great War? Diana's conviction would have been suspect from the get-go.

Plus, you can't even begin too approach the message of "Aries made Hitler do it" even if it turns out to not be true, or even if it's not even in the story. Giving people an opening to say that you implied is not a place you can go.
    Last edited by AJBopp; 06-27-2018 at 02:12 PM.