Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    But the thing with Finnel is that he is really ready to be a leading man in a Top flick, he is very charismatic and he can also be pretty badass. And I want the guy to play Captain Mar-Vell to be the very best.
    Wouldn't it be better for him to then go and be a leading man in something instead of playing Obi-Wan to Carol here? His role is likely going to be limited. He's not the main character.

I like Jude Law but he lacks the manliness to be in these type of movies.
    Manly manliness being an absolute necessity is just your issues and not a factor in reality.

But the thing with Finnel is that he is really ready to be a leading man in a Top flick, he is very charismatic and he can also be pretty badass. And I want the guy to play Captain Mar-Vell to be the very best. I like Jude Law but he lacks the manliness to be in these type of movies. I remember watching World of Tomorrow with him and the biggest problem with the movie I felt was him. It was a retro-futuristic movie with two leads in a man and a woman busting balls with one another like in a classic caper and it would have required a Clark Gable/Harrison Ford-type in the Law part but because of his lack of machismo, he came off as bitchy and it threw the movie off.

As far as Warcraft, the whole movie was just terrible.
    Jude law doesn't have much experience in those tough guy roles but I liked him as the serious war vet Watson in Sherlock Holmes. He was more manly then RDJ there. Also I don't think it's a big deal for this role. I've never really saw Mar-Vell as an over manly tough guy. He's an overly attractive suave type of guy to men. Who just happens to also kick serious ass and die from cancer...sorry spoiler alert but I doubt it happens here

Fimmels cracked out eyes are amazing for very intense charactercjaracyers which I don't think Mar-Vell is. He should Bullseye
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 03-28-2018 at 07:15 PM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Jude law doesn't have much experience in those tough guy roles but I liked him as the serious war vet Watson in Sherlock Holmes. He was more manly then RDJ there. Also I don't think it's a big deal for this role. I've never really saw Mar-Vell as an over manly tough guy. He's an overly attractive suave type of guy to men. Who just happens to also kick serious was and die from cancer...sorry spoiler alert but I doubt it happens here

Fimmels cracked out eyes are amazing for very intense charactercjaracyers which I don't think Mar-Vell is. He should Bullseye
    This is exactly right. No version of 616 Mar-Vell was ever portrayed as "bad-ass". He was a noble guy who stood up for what he believed in, but he wasn't "Nick Fury from space" or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    This is exactly right. No version of 616 Mar-Vell was ever portrayed as "bad-ass". He was a noble guy who stood up for what he believed in, but he wasn't "Nick Fury from space" or whatever.
    Thats how i saw him as well . He was like Superman noble but was also super suave and attractive to a fault(by earth standards not Kree) I wasn't the biggest fan though so I'm not gonna pretend I know what he should just what I recall and how interpreted the character

See, if this is supposed to be the comic book Captain Mar-Vell:

Then I would have gone with someone like this guy as the cinematic version:

Armie Hammer.

6'5" with the "classical" Caucasian features and genuine acting chops.

But again, I know next to nothing of the character. And who knows? Jude Law is a fine actor who oozes charisma in the right roles. He may pull a 1989 Michael Keaton surprise victory performance.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Captain Marvel

Pros: MCU/Marvel Studios Nuff Said. I mean it's very likely Infinity War and Ant-Man and the Wasp will do well and with the already strong MCU Brand Captain Marvel will benefit. The curiosity factor of both the character and how Marvel will handle their first female lead in a solo film.

Cons: The character is unknown to the general audience but look at Guardians and Ant-Man so I can't see than hurting it too much.

I think Captain Marvel will be a hit at this point it would have to be a complete disaster to flop given the strength of the MCU brand.

Shazam if good I believe will do fine but not as good as Captain Marvel unless it connects with kids and families keep going back to watch then I think it will do as well and could possibly surpass Captain Marvel if Marvel is just ok because even just ok Marvel movies make money if Captain Marvel is really good or excellent then it will be no contest and Marvel will win the box office hands down between the two IMO.
    Another "Pro" for Captain Marvel could be the nineties setting. I don't know how nostalgia-heavy they will go, but between that and the female lead this movie could draw more women than the typical superhero audience. It won't have the momentum that Wonder Woman had, but you're right that it will definitely outsell Shazam unless that movie is remarkably (and unexpectedly) good.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    See, if this is supposed to be the comic book Captain Mar-Vell...
    The MCU has taken a LOT of visual cues from the Ultimate Universe, where the good captain looks like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Actually, he kind of was. He was a Kree war hero, highly trained in Kree martial arts, who became a spy.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Actually, he kind of was. He was a Kree war hero, highly trained in Kree martial arts, who became a spy.
    I think he was talking about personality wise not credentials. Like Nick fury acts like a dirty Harry bad ass type.

Ah, I get you now. Yeah, Mar-Vell was more smooth than rough.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Ah, I get you now. Yeah, Mar-Vell was more smooth than rough.
    Yea like Superman meets Rico suave. But he was definitely one of marvels biggest badasses he just didn't carry himself like that which I think could work well with Jude Law

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Wouldn't it be better for him to then go and be a leading man in something instead of playing Obi-Wan to Carol here? His role is likely going to be limited. He's not the main character.
    You're absolutely right. But I think Mar-Vell should be more important in this mythology. What if they go the opposite root and Mar-Vell take over after Carol's death?

Manly manliness being an absolute necessity is just your issues and not a factor in reality.
    Actually these are fictional characters, what does that have anything to do with reality?

I just happy he wasn't totally ignored. Law was surprisingly good in Guy Richie's bizarre but fun King Arthur movie, so I'm okay with the casting.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Yea like Superman meets Rico suave. But he was definitely one of marvels biggest badasses he just didn't carry himself like that which I think could work well with Jude Law
    I get what you are saying but you at least you should have someone with some testosterone. Captain Mar-vell is pretty similar to the Chris Evans Cap in a way. You wouldn't have Evans go one-on-one against Statham that is cause there is a grace to him but he can dish it out. I also see Mar-Vell similar to Christopher Reeve's interpretation of Superman. Or Robert Redford in his heydays.

BANNED

You're absolutely right. But I think Mar-Vell should be more important in this mythology. What if they go the opposite root and Mar-Vell take over after Carol's death?
    You mean what if Ike Perlmutter hadn't forcefully kicked out of Marvel Studios?

Audiences are not fond of bait and switch marketing.

Actually these are fictional characters, what does that have anything to do with reality?
    Our fiction is a very important part of our reality.

I get what you are saying but you at least you should have someone with some testosterone.
    Everybody has some testosterone. It's not something men have a monopoly on.