Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Depends on the person a lot of ppl who **** the hardest on the DCEU are DC fan boys. And would probaly be ecstatic if the DCEU was a unanimous sucess.
    Ya you are right.

Retired

Predicting the so-called success of a DC movie is a mug’s game, because first you have to predict which metric will be used to gauge success.

Critical response, fan response, tomatometer, worldwide box office, domestic, opening weekend, overall costs against ticket sales, unadjusted figures, adjusted, twitter campaigns, studio expectations, audience expectations?

None of the DC movies has ever been judged in exactly the same way. So it’s impossible to tell what hammer someone is going to use. You can perhaps predict SHAZAM! will be judged a failure—because that’s the trend, but some movies beat the trend.

WONDER WOMAN failed to get the same numbers as BVS, yet few seemed to hold that against the film. BVS was one of the most successful DC movies by worldwide box office—yet it continues to get panned.

Coming from New Line and David F. Sandberg, I imagine SHAZAM! will have a relatively small budget compared with other DC super-hero movies. Which should mean its path to box office success is shorter.

However, that will probably provide the raw material for the hammer against it. The complaints will likely be that they didn’t spend enough—even though Sandberg has proven he can do a lot with a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Predicting the so-called success of a DC movie is a mug’s game, because first you have to predict which metric will be used to gauge success.

Critical response, fan response, tomatometer, worldwide box office, domestic, opening weekend, overall costs against ticket sales, unadjusted figures, adjusted, twitter campaigns, studio expectations, audience expectations?

None of the DC movies has ever been judged in exactly the same way. So it’s impossible to tell what hammer someone is going to use. You can perhaps predict SHAZAM! will be judged a failure—because that’s the trend, but some movies beat the trend.

WONDER WOMAN failed to get the same numbers as BVS, yet few seemed to hold that against the film. BVS was one of the most successful DC movies by worldwide box office—yet it continues to get panned.

Coming from New Line and David F. Sandberg, I imagine SHAZAM! will have a relatively small budget compared with other DC super-hero movies. Which should mean its path to box office success is shorter.

However, that will probably provide the raw material for the hammer against it. The complaints will likely be that they didn’t spend enough—even though Sandberg has proven he can do a lot with a little.
    I think for most people it's a combination of Box office,audience score and Critical response. Which wonder woman was the only one to land on the plus side in all 3 category.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Depends on the person a lot of ppl who **** the hardest on the DCEU are DC fan boys.
    From my personal experience it's a little bit of both DC and Marvel.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

I have been following Sandberg since his YouTube shorts, i'm baffled at how people think he can't make a good movie regardless of the budget.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Captain Marvel is immediately A-list because she is in an MCU movie with her name as the title. That is how it works now.
    If Marvel was starting on a blank page with none of the other Captains Marvel to go by, I imagine their movie Marvel would be a PG-13 Deadpool type but more hero than anti-hero.

To exploit the Marvel brand and promote their properties, she/he would address the fourth wall and draw powers from all the other heroes. A kind of Dial M for MARVEL.

Cap would be a true company mascot—a one person Avengers—and they could use any and all characters in the movie without necessarily paying the high priced talent.

With so many Marvel characters having their faces completely covered—they don’t need actors just stunt people and CGI.

BANNED

I expect the hammer against this one will be the tone.A lot of fans aren't going to like a SHAZAM that is lighter and more kid-friendly than The Incredibles, which seems like where they are going. Parents and families may make this very profitable, however.

I think you see Jude Law as way more feminine then I do.
    Yea probably. For a long time, I thought he was not hetero. I could never take him seriously as the ladies' man in Mr, Ripley with Matt Damon.

But for Mar-Vell, if we want a mix of regal and badass, I would go for Nicolaj Coster-Waldau aka Jaime Lannister. (I could see him play Mar-Vell, Warlock or Aquaman)

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    Yea probably. For a long time, I thought he was not hetero. I could never take him seriously as the ladies' man in Mr, Ripley with Matt Damon.

But for Mar-Vell, if we want a mix of regal and badass, I would go for Nicolaj Coster-Waldau aka Jaime Lannister. (I could see him play Mar-Vell, Warlock or Aquaman)
    I agree with Waldau , he's my fan cast for any big white hero or villain. Kinda what Elba is for any Black character. Yea I'm pretty sure most women wouldn't agree with you as not seeing him as Hetero. He's a good actor but let's be honest he's where he is because he's absurdly handsome. He does usually play Suave types or weasels not tough guys but he' played it more butch then RDJ in the Sherlock movies and no one says RDJ is too feminine. He's doesn't have the bravado of Rock or Jason Statham but Mar-Vell wasn't a in your face aggressive meat head anyway. I think he will do just fine. I'm most worried about Ronan being more then what he was in GOTG. Him a Malakeith are up there for flattest marvel character. Lee Pace did a good job of looking intimidating and having a authoritative voice but he was whining and flat AF. Just badly written, so i hope they treat him better here

I agree with Waldau , he's my fan cast for any big white hero or villain. Kinda what Elba is for any Black character. Yea I'm pretty sure most women wouldn't agree with you as not seeing him as Hetero. He's a good actor but let's be honest he's where he is because he's absurdly handsome. He does usually play Suave types or weasels not tough guys but he' played it more butch then RDJ in the Sherlock movies and no one says RDJ is too feminine. He's doesn't have the bravado of Rock or Jason Statham but Mar-Vell wasn't a in your face aggressive meat head anyway. I think he will do just fine. I'm most worried about Ronan being more then what he was in GOTG. Him a Malakeith are up there for flattest marvel character. Lee Pace did a good job of looking intimidating and having a authoritative voice but he was whining and flat AF. Just badly written, so i hope they treat him better here
    A lot of women likes feminine men, though. My cousin she always fall for guys like that and 4 times out of 5 they end up being gay. It never fails especially celebrities, she has a crush on guys and I'm like "you do know that this guy is probably gay, right?" and we argue and in the end most often than not they are indeed. lol and she gets pissed off and she go I like them anyway and I'm like good for you. lol

As far as Waldau and Elba, there are really two guys that are born to be super-heroes and most people pick them in parts cause they have the right balance of good looks, machismo, acting ability and size. They are a gift to casting agents especially in these times where they are a lot of super-hero movies. Hell I think Elba was in two big super-hero movies in Ghost Rider and Thor but was rather misused, he has yet to play in something that take the full use of his abilities. Since he is British, that could be a Blade revamp(since in the comics Blade is a Brit). Or Steel. Personally I think Martian Mahunter is the role that he should for, strong but refined, soulfull.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    A lot of women likes feminine men, though. My cousin she always fall for guys like that and 4 times out of 5 they end up being gay. It never fails especially celebrities, she has a crush on guys and I'm like "you do know that this guy is probably gay, right?" and we argue and in the end most often than not they are indeed. lol and she gets pissed off and she go I like them anyway and I'm like good for you. lol

As far as Waldau and Elba, there are really two guys that are born to be super-heroes and most people pick them in parts cause they have the right balance of good looks, machismo, acting ability and size. They are a gift to casting agents especially in these times where they are a lot of super-hero movies. Hell I think Elba was in two big super-hero movies in Ghost Rider and Thor but was rather misused, he has yet to play in something that take the full use of his abilities. Since he is British, that could be a Blade revamp(since in the comics Blade is a Brit). Or Steel. Personally I think Martian Mahunter is the role that he should for, strong but refined, soulfull.
    Yea in don't think most people think gay when they think Jude Law, not that would matter. Matt Bommer played a Suave lady's man and believable one in White Collar for years. Defiantly surprised to find out he and Wentworth Miller were gay. Also Viin Diesel plays tough guys and is super feminine in real life. I mean they are actors sexuality isnt reqllu a factor for my of them. AnywayI guess it comes down to you just seeing Law as Feminine and I don't. So we will just have to agree to disagree. I'd be worried ofnthe was playing a Character with a tough guy bravado but that's just not Mar-Vell too me.

Peter Mensah was born to play John. You just need to add green and he already looks like him and has a monotone voice. And he's a delightful actor who would require 1/10 the pay of Elba. If your gonna pay Idris make him a headliner which John probably is never gonna be on film unfortunately
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 04-06-2018 at 09:08 PM.

Malekith at least had the excuse that most of the scenes that were meant to add to his character were cut for more Loki scenes (as I recall).

I'm curious if we'll see the Supreme Intelligence in this movie and if something happening to it is what causes Ronan to become as militant as he is in Guardians.

Yes its a bit unpredictable to tell what will be successful.

But i don't see a problem with BvS and Wonder Woman. BvS should have easily made a billion at the worldwide Box office. When it was announced some enthusiastic people were talking about 2 billion. It opened huge. Similar numbers to The Last Jedi worldwide (434 million vs 450 million) and Iron Man 3 domestically (166 million vs 174 million). And the final grosses worldwide grosses were this. The Last Jedi: 1.332 billion, Iron Man 3: 1.214 billion and BvS: 873 million. That's a huge difference.

It is simple. Initial interest was huge. But after the people watched it they disliked it and BvS dropped really fast. In comparison Wonder Woman opened to about 103 million in US, and ended up at 412 million. 4X multiplier is comparable to successful films of the 90s. Such runs are rare in these days. It ended with over 821 million worldwide. Budget was less (BvS: 250 million. Wonder Woman: 150 million). So, financially Wonder Woman was a huge success compared to BvS even if it ended up earning less.

Critics and fan response is easy to see online. Wonder Woman received almost unanimous praise.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Malekith at least had the excuse that most of the scenes that were meant to add to his character were cut for more Loki scenes (as I recall).

I'm curious if we'll see the Supreme Intelligence in this movie and if something happening to it is what causes Ronan to become as militant as he is in Guardians.
    Ronan goes militant because the xandarians kill his dad and he's mad the Kree make a peace arrangement. Ben Mindelston is in this movie somewhere my guess would be supreme intelligence or Ronans Daddy.

Yea in don't think most people think gay when they think Jude Law, not that would matter. Matt Bommer played a Suave lady's man and believable one in White Collar for years. Defiantly surprised to find out he and Wentworth Miller were gay. Also Viin Diesel plays tough guys and is super feminine in real life. I mean they are actors sexuality isnt reqllu a factor for my of them. AnywayI guess it comes down to you just seeing Law as Feminine and I don't. So we will just have to agree to disagree. I'd be worried ofnthe was playing a Character with a tough guy bravado but that's just not Mar-Vell too me.
    Matt Bommer was really a shock. The Prison Break guy also. They do not come off as feminine.

Peter Mensah was born to play John. You just need to add green and he already looks like him and has a monotone voice. And he's a delightful actor who would require 1/10 the pay of Elba. If your gonna pay Idris make him a headliner which John probably is never gonna be on film unfortunately
    Great thinking about Mensah. I was also thinking the guy that plays the boss-type in the show "Fringe" Lance Reddick? He has such a presence on screen I kept thinking I wanted him as a super-hero and all I could think of was Professor X. He would be a perfect Xavier(given that Stan and Jack based the character more or less on Yul Brynner with the deep voice). But since Xavier is white I thought, the next best thing was another telepath Martian Manhunter whom race-bending would be less of an issue. Reddick could easily pass as an alien. lol