Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    On the flip side, I think A clockwork Orange is amazing, but botched the ending. The book was better. It's the whole point of the story, and Kubrick ditched it.
    I couldn’t disagree more. I don’t mind a little optimism, but the book ending is just pure fairytale, human brains just don’t work that way. You can’t just shut off psychotic and sociopathic thoughts at the blink of an eye just because you see an example of someone having fun without those thoughts.

I also prefer the only other major change that the movie made, to omit the part where he drugs the 10 year old girls. Kubrick may have only changed that because it would be too provocative but I still think it works better without it. I just don’t understand what about Alex’s screwed up mind would make him attracted to pre-pubescent kids, even though he’s clearly attracted to adult women at other points in the story. It just seems like a totally different kind of crazy than what Alex is.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Do we really need spoiler tags? The last adaptation was in the '90s. Like, if you've missed out this long...

I thought the mini series was pretty bad. Visually it was really boring.
    I requested people to use spoiler tags in the OP.

You are right. A film out this long shall be free for discussion. My thought is if a film has come out in theaters and after that its blu-ray/dvd/home release it can be freely discussed. Its about 3-4 months and if you are interested about the film and by this don't want spoilers you must have seem it by then. Since, you haven't seen it this means you aren't that interested and thus won't mind spoilers.

Between that time there shall always be spoiler tags. But what of films which are so old that people may not have watched them. There are always newer and newer people who are discovering Stanley Kubrick. I watched my first Kubrick film about 2-3 years ago. So, in my opinion an interested person has the right to stay unspoiled if they want to. Such a person at least deserves a warning that a spoiler is coming up.

Better give a spoiler tag. If not simply inform in your post that a spoiler is coming up. So, that a reader is alert. If he/she minds the spoiler(s) they can skip to the end of the warning. But all of this is in form of a humble request for the benefit of people who are discovering his genius.

Incredible Member

This thread inspired me to finally watch Spartacus. I think that's his only film I haven't yet seen. It's way more epic and action-oriented than I expected. I just watched the scene where the slaves overthrow the guards at the gladiator school - very good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Soubhagya...you see Paths of Glory yet? One of the top greatest war films ever made.
    I really loved the first half of that movie, but the trial sort of lost me. The contrasting scenes of first the cowardly general and then later the steely Kirk Douglas walking through the trench is one of the greatest things I've ever seen, not to mention the Ant Hill charge.

Quote Originally Posted by keeen View Post
    This thread inspired me to finally watch Spartacus. I think that's his only film I haven't yet seen. It's way more epic and action-oriented than I expected. I just watched the scene where the slaves overthrow the guards at the gladiator school - very good stuff.
    Cool.

That was another reason why i started this thread. He has a number of films which lot of people know and have watched. 2001 and Clockwork Orange for example. But he has a number of other wonderful films which many might not have watched. I loved Spartacus.

At first i felt a bit underwhelmed. Unlike other films it felt like a more straightforward action-adventure-epic. There's a certain signature or voice within his films. At least that's what i have felt with other films that i have watched so far. A certain 'cold' tone and some themes he wishes to speak through the narrative.

Spartacus did not feel like that at first. It is more warm in tone and one might say it even has a happy ending. Where's that commentary on some theme or idea? But then it has something to say. The decay of a 'free' or 'advanced' society and government. 'Freedom' built on the back of slavery and exploitation. And its one of those 'epics' of that time. Kinda like superhero films of their time. Except they have some truly amazing films like 'Lawrence of Arabia' and 'Bridge on River Kwai'. I have heard that its one of the films he wasn't happy with. He was brought in the last minute by Kirk Douglas. A studio film where he did not have the kind of freedom he usually had.

I think its still a wonderful film. Not among my favorites but just too good. Its battle and action scenes are epic. I loved the romance which i thought was heartfelt. I found the characters interesting to watch. And Kirk Douglas was a compelling lead. Great film imo.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-11-2018 at 09:32 AM.

For Spartacus he was more a gun for hire. It was Douglas' film, he produced it and controlled it. I believe Kubrick was not happy with the experience and there after had complete control over all his movies.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Amazing Member

Have any of you guys watched “S is for Stanley” on Netflix? It’s a really good documentary about Kubrick’s personal driver/slave, really interesting stuff.

No i haven't watched it. But lol. Driver/slave? How is this even a thing? Though in a sense bosses are masters.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    No i haven't watched it. But lol. Driver/slave? How is this even a thing? Though in a sense bosses are masters.
    Well technically he’s his driver, but he has to do a hell of a lot more than just drive him around. Some of the stuff he is tasked with is hilarious.

I watched Paths of Glory today. And posted this in another thread.

"A few things first. First. How on earth was this film made in 1957? It just might have come out last year. Only in black and white. Second, how did someone make a war movie in under two hours? Its crazy that it tells so much within 1 hour and 28 minutes. That's not even an hour and a half.

I am not going to say that its awesome. Its a rare Kubrick film which i love in my first watch. Its first half was really entertaining. The 'charge scene' has to be its highest point. I will put that war scene on the level of the Apocalypse Now scene of 'attacking the village'. Its a breathtaking scene. I enjoyed the film till the court scenes. After that i kind of lost interest.

Not because its bad or anything like that. But because its so unconventional. That ending in particular looked like it belongs to another film. Yet, they all mean something. There was this character in relation to a scene in the beginning which i thought made no sense considering its place. This character appeared vile. But later in the film he comes across as a more complex and nuanced character. He does not do much. Yet, one feels wrong in thinking of him as evil. I am going to watch it again and again. After all its a breeze to go through. And i can't help escape the feeling that i watched something truly brilliant. Only, i wasn't paying attention."
    spoilers:
    I will add a few more things here. I do understand the point of the ending. A respite for the soldiers. But it was supposed to be a German song. Does it mean its deliberately anti-patriotic? Something which connects people as human beings which we all are. And man its amazing that there's no resolution or character arcs which make things entertaining in films. At best the general gets caught in the inquiry. Maybe a reason why i wasn't enjoying after the court scenes was because i kept hoping that they will be saved in the last minute. Its shocking. Only after the film while thinking about it i felt that familiar choking feeling which is when i feel sad while watching a film. the film has no frills. Its so fast.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-13-2018 at 06:41 AM.

Here's a question for people visiting this thread. Do you dislike the use of spoiler tags? I am feeling restricted due to that. A lot of discussion will be around endings. And by asking you to limit yourselves feels odd. Its not as if people are rushing out to see Kubrick's films. The newest was about 20 years old. In 'last movie you watched' thread spoiler tags are necessary. After all that thread is not meant for discussion unless one wants to.

But this thread very much exists to discuss and dissect the films. So, i will ask to you as well as moderators that shall i remove this restriction? To moderators i will ask that can i even do that?

Lightbulb

I have given up my request about spoilers You don't need to post like that. These films are decades old. I was seeing the other thread, 'Most memorable scenes in cinema'. Its desirable if one gives an indication. But its not a compulsion. I have made the changes to the OP. The discussions were becoming restrictive to me. Just had a cool discussion about 12 Angry Men in 'Last Movie you watched...'. It was more free.

Anyway here's a video talking about brilliant moments in film. While its a really good video, Kubrick's scene from 2001 starts from (03.22). [Includes critical moments from Crouching Tiger..., 2001, Inglourious Basterds, The Godfather and 127 Hours. 127 Hours one can be disturbing.]

Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-18-2018 at 03:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Soubhagya...you see Paths of Glory yet? One of the top greatest war films ever made.
    I have watched the film. And i have to agree with your assessment about this being one of the greatest war films ever made. But why do you think so? On my part, i would say one of the best reasons is its so short. (lol. That's a rarity). DEFINITELY well made. Looking at that 'stellar charge sequence' for example. And the fact, that it packs such a punch. I thinks its completely anti-war. There's no glorification of it. Even that charge sequence was chaos and disorder. Its almost relentlessly bleak. But with just a tiny breather given at the end. I don't know but i am thinking that part, while not fitting the film makes the film feel more complete. What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-21-2018 at 11:29 AM.

FYI. it was Gary Lockwood that suggested HAL find out about their plans by reading their lips.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I did not know that. Thanks for the info Kirby!.

I would add that, it's the mark of good directing. 'Listening to people'. I have heard that one of the reasons, the Star Wars prequels did not work so well in comparison to the originals because George Lucas surrounded himself with 'Yes men'. For example, it was Lucas' wife who contributed to ideas like the 'Trench run' in the first Star Wars. Originally, it was too long with Luke taking two runs at the exhaust port.

Great addition! Credit to Gary Lockwood for this idea.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-21-2018 at 12:24 PM.

BANNED

In honour of Kubrick can someone please explain from their point of view what the final ending scene of a space odyssey means for them and the character.

I get the meaning of the ending scene, I just need another prospective.