Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Stanley Kubrick Fan Club

Stanley Kubrick is one of the, if not the greatest film maker(s) of all time. Its always a high time to have an appreciation thread for him. I actually wanted to start an appreciation thread for Kubrick. But simply an appreciation thread can hardly do him justice when not only his works were among the most influential, they were pretty controversial too.

So here is the thing. Think of this as an appreciation thread but a bit different. One can have contradicting opinions which might not be an appreciation. Opposing opinions aren't bad. They can even help in more deeper appreciation.

So, be mindful of the forum rules while posting. If you have a negative opinion on the subject you have to express it in a mature fashion. Not by beating over the heads of other people but rather providing sound reasons for your opinion while discussing it in a civil manner. Needless to say it goes both ways.

And for people who haven't watched these films there would be spoilers. These films are decades old films.

So, feel free to discuss his awesome films and have fun!
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-18-2018 at 02:35 AM.

BANNED

I've watched everything from Paths of Glory to Eyes Wide Shut. This is my favorite scene.

Last edited by Vegan Daddy; 03-03-2018 at 07:51 PM.

I love this scene. I find it more disturbing then funny. But its a bit darkly funny. After all Alex Delarge is one disturbing protagonist. But he has a charm. The film challenges the viewer. A trick. Where we actually feel relieved. But is it a relief?

At least that's what i think about that scene.

I haven't watched all the films. Something i hope to change that soon. Which is your favorite film? And if you wish to share, why you love the scene, i would love to hear that too. A line or two shall suffice.

My favorite scene so far is 2001's Space Docking sequence. Its simply too gorgeous to watch. A sight to behold. I kid you not this scene actually made me love its music. 'The Blue Danube'.

Right now my favorite film is 2001: A Space Odyssey. I think its pure perfection.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-03-2018 at 08:43 PM.

BANNED

I guess Clockwork is my favorite, or at least it's the one I've seen the most. It's very funny and I love the music. The book was good too.

I haven't read the book. I tried that before watching the film and its unusual lingo turned me off then. After watching it i feel like i can take another shot. I don't think i can watch it large number of times as compared to say Dr. Strangelove. But its definitely quite re-watchable. I like the film a lot. And i love the music too. Either the use of classical stuff or the original music.

Its strange that this film along with 2001, has brought in me a taste for some classical music. I never thought that something like that would ever be on my playlist.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-03-2018 at 09:02 PM.

Love, love love Kubrick, have seen everything from Killer's Kiss to Eyes Wide Shut. Most more than once.
    In the case of 2001, my favorite movie (not just of Kubrick, but everything)well over a dozen times.
    There is brilliance in all his movies, though some are problematic in areas. But he is one film maker deserved of the title genius.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Can you pick a favorite scene from 2001? I went with the 'Space Waltz'. But the entire film is amazing. Whether it be 'Daisy scene' or 'Apes learning to use tools'. Even that majestic opening of 'sun, moon and the earth in one line'.

Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-05-2018 at 10:17 AM.

His movie I enjoy the most to watch is "A Clockwork Orange" but the movie that inspires me the most for its artistry (almost every damn shot) is "The Shining"

My favorite one was "Full Metal Jacket" Best war movie ever and exemplified the insanity and futility of the Vietnam war. So many classic lines:
    "How can you shoot women and children?" "Easy. You just don't lead them so much. Hahaha. Ain't war hell? Hahahaha"

Dr. Strangelove is my favorite movie of all time.
    2001 is also very much a classic.

I'm old enough to have seen Full Metal Jacket in the theater.
    The final scene with Private Pyle was super intense.
    And somehow 2 Live Crew got a song out of this movie!

See pic below for how I feel about Kubrick.

Have not seen to much from him, but do enjoy Full Metal Jacket, 2001, and Strangelove. Seen parts of Clockwork Orange, but had no desire to see more. Shining I can realize why it is loved as a movie, but I hate it for what they did and how it missed the special vibe and creepiness the book had. However that is most King adaptions they just fail to capture what the book was and in this case it was a big dip in quality from the book in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    His movie I enjoy the most to watch is "A Clockwork Orange" but the movie that inspires me the most for its artistry (almost every damn shot) is "The Shining"
    'The Shining' is simply amazing! I absolutely admire the film and its artistry. Its almost as if he has taken us right into Overlook Hotel and made us loose ourselves in its desolate interiors with only the the Torrances as our 'living' companions. Technically in terms of cinematography, editing, score, etc. its top notch. One readily available example is the hallway tracking shot.

I did not like it so much in my first watch. Ghosts who are too realistic. Jump scares and scary ghosts are sparse. I thought it was just an okay movie. But watching it again i could see what Kubrick was really trying to do. And i fell in love with the film instantly. Its my favorite horror film for now.

Just like its reception. It received lukewarm reviews on release. Stephen King denounced the film. (Quite rightly too as Kubrick took so much liberties). It actually got razzie nominations too. But its stature has only grown with time.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-05-2018 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    My favorite one was "Full Metal Jacket" Best war movie ever and exemplified the insanity and futility of the Vietnam war. So many classic lines:
    "How can you shoot women and children?" "Easy. You just don't lead them so much. Hahaha. Ain't war hell? Hahahaha"
    Cool. I haven't watched it yet. Personally, it would be hard to top 'Apocalypse Now'. That film was pure excellence. Yet 'Full Metal Jacket' is considered among all time great war films. Hope i will enjoy it when i see it as i am planning to watch it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampyCA View Post
    Dr. Strangelove is my favorite movie of all time.
    2001 is also very much a classic.

I'm old enough to have seen Full Metal Jacket in the theater.
    The final scene with Private Pyle was super intense.
    And somehow 2 Live Crew got a song out of this movie!

See pic below for how I feel about Kubrick.

Lol. Who knew that

spoilers:
    watching world's end
    end of spoilers

could be so much fun? I love Dr. Strangelove. I think its a masterpiece of dark comedy. Really good pic to show what i feel about his films too. Even in the first page we have seen:

i) sci-fi
    ii) horror
    iii) war
    iv) dark comedy
    v) dystopian crime

That kind of variety is so rad. He has an acclaimed film in so many genres.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-05-2018 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    Have not seen to much from him, but do enjoy Full Metal Jacket, 2001, and Strangelove. Seen parts of Clockwork Orange, but had no desire to see more. Shining I can realize why it is loved as a movie, but I hate it for what they did and how it missed the special vibe and creepiness the book had. However that is most King adaptions they just fail to capture what the book was and in this case it was a big dip in quality from the book in my opinion.
    Odd place to post for me. As i give the example of how being faithful to the source material does not always bring good results by citing 'Shining'. Oddly enough i haven't read the book or watched the tv movie yet. So, i can't really discuss about this.