Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    You really should. If even only just to bounce it off of Kubrick's film to see the differences, see what everyone argues about. In King's book, everything is clearer as far as what is going on and the hotel's motivations. Book Jack is much more interesting and multi-dimensional and ends up being possibly King's best character in all of his books, he's neither the hero or the villain really.

I read on wikipedia that the film maybe makes the viewer wonder whether the hotel's goal is Jack or Danny (or both), but the book is very clear. The hotel has a very straightforward simple enough evil plan in the book.

Kubrick's film and King's book are both greats, both must sees/reads for fans of the general story that is The Shining. The Shining (TV Mini-Series 1997) is also worth a see to see something closer to King's vision (but too sanitized IMHO) and SEE THE ACTUAL HOTEL that inspired the book.
    Yes, it is a good idea to read the book. The movie gives the idea that Jack went stir crazy but the books shows what actually happened was the Hotel possessed Jack.

Kubrik is a funny one for me. I don't often go back to his films once I've seen them, but I can appreciate his brilliance. The Shining is a masterpiece of horror and suspense. But I recognize the fact that those who read the book first usually don't like it, and those who saw the movie first accept it but still love the book. I'm of the latter. Also, if I want a faithful adaption, I can always hunt down the tv mini-series staring Steven Webber!

I remember liking Full Metal Jacket, though I haven't watched it in over a decade. I haven't seen A Clockwork Orange in over a decade as well, and I can only remember bits and pieces of it. I remember liking it.

I can't remember what I thought of Eyes Wide Shut, though as I was typing this I accidentally called it Eyes Wide **** so maybe that was my subconscious trying to tell me something

2001.... oh, boy. I will say that the effects work in that movie were groundbreaking and a decade ahead of their time, and that a lot of it still holds up. And I enjoy it after HAL goes crazy. But it takes so long to get their, it bores me out of my MIND. It's a struggle for me to get through that movie to this day. Also, every time I hear that opening music, I keep expecting Ric Flair to strut across my screen.

I can't believe I forgot about Dr. Strangelove. I really enjoy that movie.

Those are all of his movies that I have seen. I think I'd put him as a filmmaker up there with Orson Wells, as someone who made movies that weren't always considered great at the time, but over time they became classics.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Yes, it is a good idea to read the book. The movie gives the idea that Jack went stir crazy but the books shows what actually happened was the Hotel possessed Jack.
    I remember reading somewhere that Kubrik wanted very much for the horror to be purely psychological, but there came a point in the script (when Jack was locked in the fridge) that he had to show clearly that yes, there were actually ghosts. The thing is, aside from the door opening and the wife seeing a bunch of cobwebbed covered skeletons (a rally BAD scene) and, of course, the blood in the elevator, there really weren't that many indications of ghosts in the hotel. the lady in the bathtub I could pass off as Jack having a mental breakdown.

The Shining film has a much better ending, in my opinion. The book is obviously able to go into much more detail with each character, and Wendy is less annoying.

I think having read the book improves the movie. There's a lot of subtle stuff in it that isn't stated outright, but implied, that comes from the book. If you know what to look for. At least that was my experience.

On the flip side, I think A clockwork Orange is amazing, but botched the ending. The book was better. It's the whole point of the story, and Kubrick ditched it.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I think having read the book improves the movie. There's a lot of subtle stuff in it that isn't stated outright, but implied, that comes from the book.
    I really agree. I think Kubrick's movie does suggest stealing Danny's shining is a goal of the hotel's, but there's really only one little line in the movie that kinda suggests that (see below), so the book helps you notice that film moment more. Danny's shining is this energy, amplifying the hotel's ghosts, making them more real (like the pink ectoplasm in Ghostbusters II).

GRADY
    Your son has a very great talent.
    I don't think you are aware how
    great it is, but he is attempting
    to use that very talent against
    your will.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-08-2018 at 12:20 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

There's also a lot of Jack's behavior that ties into his alcoholism that's subtly suggested in the film, which you wouldn't get if you hadn't read the book.

The Shining film has a much better ending, in my opinion. The book is obviously able to go into much more detail with each character, and Wendy is less annoying.

I think having read the book improves the movie. There's a lot of subtle stuff in it that isn't stated outright, but implied, that comes from the book. If you know what to look for. At least that was my experience.

On the flip side, I think A clockwork Orange is amazing, but botched the ending. The book was better. It's the whole point of the story, and Kubrick ditched it.

Pardon me as i am going sideways from your post. I can't disagree with anything you said. Except for one.

I think Wendy is really good in the film. I have heard this quite consistently from a number of people. I think that's a very realistic performance. Imagine oneself trapped with a murderous Jack Nicholson with no escape in sight. That stuff is scary. She is no 'hero'. Just an ordinary woman like most people are. If one finds oneself in a situation like her that's a most natural response. Screaming and crying and what not. A crazy Jack Nicholson chasing with an axe. Most people will scream and cry for their mothers while wetting their pants.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Kubrik is a funny one for me. I don't often go back to his films once I've seen them, but I can appreciate his brilliance. The Shining is a masterpiece of horror and suspense. But I recognize the fact that those who read the book first usually don't like it, and those who saw the movie first accept it but still love the book. I'm of the latter. Also, if I want a faithful adaption, I can always hunt down the tv mini-series staring Steven Webber!

I remember liking Full Metal Jacket, though I haven't watched it in over a decade. I haven't seen A Clockwork Orange in over a decade as well, and I can only remember bits and pieces of it. I remember liking it.

I can't remember what I thought of Eyes Wide Shut, though as I was typing this I accidentally called it Eyes Wide **** so maybe that was my subconscious trying to tell me something

2001.... oh, boy. I will say that the effects work in that movie were groundbreaking and a decade ahead of their time, and that a lot of it still holds up. And I enjoy it after HAL goes crazy. But it takes so long to get their, it bores me out of my MIND. It's a struggle for me to get through that movie to this day. Also, every time I hear that opening music, I keep expecting Ric Flair to strut across my screen.

I can't believe I forgot about Dr. Strangelove. I really enjoy that movie.

Those are all of his movies that I have seen. I think I'd put him as a filmmaker up there with Orson Wells, as someone who made movies that weren't always considered great at the time, but over time they became classics.
    I say that his films were ahead of his time. Its not the usual mixed response. When there's a polarizing response from critics most people who would say its good they would say its good not great. Most of his films were such that there were those who were negative but those who were positive were mostly glowing with praise. At least that was my impression from reading wikipedia entries.

And quite a number of his films were controversial. Imagine making Lolita in 1962. In this time its easier to make something like that. But in 1962! And if you don't mind such kind of content 'A Clockwork Orange' is a must watch. Its a brilliant film which puzzles me. I can't 'truly' love the film just as i can't truly love Deadpool. I prefer the lead characters to be noble and good people. But somehow both the films manage to make people likable who shall not be so if we try to think a bit deeply. And Deadpool is a really good film. Its not possible to ignore it. Just like that i think 'A Clockwork Orange' is a great film. A must watch for people who don't mind such content.

I also think that 'Eyes Wide Shut' is a really good film. Perhaps not in the level of his other films. But a real good one nonetheless.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-09-2018 at 07:11 AM.

I'm not saying Wendy is unrealistic, just that she can be annoying.

Oh yes it can be annoying to some people. Personally i did not find her annoying. She did much better then i might have done in her place. lol.

For me that makes her more relatable. If that makes any sense.

Sure. I never personally found her too annoying. But she's far less so in the book.

Rebecca De Mornay in the '97 TV film did much better with Wendy Torrance, who was a bit more tougher and strong-willed in the book.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Soubhagya...you see Paths of Glory yet? One of the top greatest war films ever made.

Sure. I never personally found her too annoying. But she's far less so in the book.
    Rebecca De Mornay in the '97 TV film did much better with Wendy Torrance, who was a bit more tougher and strong-willed in the book.
    Lol. I maybe the only one who thought she did a really good job. Someone who liked it. You know your posts are pushing me to read the book and watch the TV movie. I love the movie. Its my all time favorite horror movie. Though to be frank i don't like horror movies in general, even if i have liked a couple of them. I am curious to read the book. Kubrick changed not only Jack but Wendy too. There's lot of stuff to see. I will get that book and after that maybe the TV movie too.

Soubhagya...you see Paths of Glory yet? One of the top greatest war films ever made.
    Oh shoot! It has been sometime since you recommended that and i said i will watch it. I will soon.

What do you think of Dr. Strangelove? I think that was a brilliant movie too. One of the best (dark) comedies out there. Have you read the book? I don't know how close or how different the film is compared to 'Red Alert' but i know that it was not a comedy. But an actual thriller. Take away all the farcicality the film has all the elements of a serious thriller.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-10-2018 at 01:14 AM.

I thought the TV mimi-series King did of The Shining was dreadful.

spoilers:
    with a stupid happy ending, no less...ugh!
    end of spoilers
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Do we really need spoiler tags? The last adaptation was in the '90s. Like, if you've missed out this long...

I thought the mini series was pretty bad. Visually it was really boring.