Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I think DC Comics Presents is a great place to start. I look back at those stories and that series with the same fondness I do the old Jim Aparo Brave and the Bold stories.

Plus, today is August 16th, this is the day Lois gives her Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow interview. I re-read that book and it is such a fun read. It's only two issues and every moment is earth shaking!

Retired

The thing I loved about THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD--from Bob Haney, Jim Aparo and (editor) Murray Boltinoff--was that it was consistent. It didn't matter who teamed up with Batman, you could always depend on getting the same high level of quality in every issue, when those men were on the title. So even if the guest-star didn't interest me, I'd still get the issue, knowing that what they presented would be worth my twenty cents.

DC COMICS PRESENTS seemed to start out with the same plan--with Martin Pasko, Jose Luis Garcia Lopez and Dan Adkins; however, Pasko had to leave to work on THE WORLD'S GREATEST SUPER-HEROES comic strip. Nevertheless, JLGL stuck around for the first four issues. And if he had remained the regular artist, I would have bought every issue. However, once it became a round-robin of artists and writers, I know there were issues I missed if the guest-star and the creative team didn't interest me.

Adding "Whatever Happened To . . ." with issue 25 helped to make every issue much more desirable. But that feature went away after issue 48 and, thereafter, I started to become picky about which issues I'd buy.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by comicstar100 View Post
    What Pre Crisis Superman stories do you consider must reads?
    Of those i only remember the first encounter with Mongul written by Starlin.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.