Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Babs' Batgirl was created to 'prove' Batman and Robin weren't gay.
    No.
    Not at all.

This has, however, been an oft cited reason for the creation of Kathy Kane (Batwoman) and her niece Betty Kane (Bat-girl).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    So in the cartoon Harley Quinn is no longer Harleen Quinzel? Who is she then? What is her real name now? Anyway Harley Quinn was Harleen Quinzel in all the previous animations and live action versions
    so a different version in one cartoon doesn't negate that.
    So the cartoon Quinn is just as sociopathic as the Suicide Squad one? Damn, I need to catch up on that!

What's your point? So what?
    So her origin incorporates the whole 'no homo' crap that's followed Batman and Robin for how long now?

Strains whose credibility? It's a woman that dresses up as a bat. Being named Barbara Gordon and being the daughter of James Gordon is the least incredible thing about her.
    What do you even mean by "modern"? I find when they try to make a character "modern" they just end up screwing up everything that made the character fun in the first place.
    What strains credibility is that Batman's origin is that he's traveled the world for nearly a decade, and funneled millions of dollars into his training.

And Batgirl's origin is that she can do the same with just spunk.

Frankly, given her family background and socioeconomic status, her motivation as a crimefighter is underwhelming at best. It lacks pathos and depth.

Frankly, I prefer modern. I'd rather read about a character who uses modern sensibilities, vs. a 70s idea of what a woman should be.

As has been said multiple times at this point, we have seen plenty of modern adaptations of Babs Batgirl. In fact Babs has stayed more modern and relevant then either Cass or Steph have. And honestly your just reaching with this strains credibility argument. Steph’s situation isn’t any different, and Cass’ situation is even more ridiculous and ‘straining’. And whats more neither’s origin actually even involves Batgirl very much. Steph’s not at all.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 03-26-2018 at 06:58 PM.

Spectacular Member

Not true.

Barbara Gordon’s modern origin stories portray her as an adept fighter- not surprising as the daughter of the Police Commissioner (and, in ‘Year One’, aspiring to a career in law enforcement).

But even in her first appearance in Detective #359, which hit newsstands in November 1966, she is shown as a tougher, more physical female than was typical for the comics of the Silver Age.
    While described as a Ph D and summa cum laude graduate of Gotham State, she also wears a brown belt in judo.
    She is shown working out with a heavy bag, saying that she’s “stronger and harder than I’ve ever been, thanks to my special protein diet and intensive exercise!”
    Since Barbara didn’t have superpowers, writer Gardner Fox and editor Julie Schwartz were obviously trying to give her some credibility as a physical presence for crimefighting, but, really, there wasn’t another female character in comics anywhere being described like that, or having a bada$$ training session like that, in 1966.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    As has been said multiple times at this point, we have seen plenty of modern adaptations of Babs Batgirl. In fact Babs has stayed more modern and relevant then either Cass or Steph have. And honestly your just reaching with this strains credibility argument. Steph’s situation isn’t any different, and Cass’ situation is even more ridiculous and ‘straining’. And whats more neither’s origin actually even involves Batgirl very much. Steph’s not at all.
    We've seen modern adaptions yes, but her character has remained basically the same. Able to do everything Batman can, just with spunk!

Babs' isn't a balanced character by any stretch of the imagination. Simply because she's not a mary sue, does not make her balanced. And given how comfortable her life has always been depicted, her motivation is underwhelming at best.

Cass' balance comes in her struggles outside of combat. Steph's balance comes from her basic struggles

Less is more

Mighty Member

Only if it's Cass. Barbara has only served a purpose in a wheelchair and on top of that. There's nothing interesting about her as Batgirl.

We've seen modern adaptions yes, but her character has remained basically the same. Able to do everything Batman can, just with spunk!

Babs' isn't a balanced character by any stretch of the imaging nation. Simply because she's not a mary sue, does not make her balanced. And given how comfortable her life has always been depicted, her motivation is underwhelming at best.

Cass' balance comes in her struggles outside of combat. Steph's balance comes from her basic struggles

Less is more
    Ya, Batgirl is Batgirl. I don’t think there is a problem with Batgirl concept, nor do I see how Cass or Steph change that concept. Except when it comes to Cass instead of ‘spunk’ it’s karate chops.

And balance? You seem to just be grasping at anything. But sure, they’re more balanced, and less is more. That’s why they flourished as they have.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 03-26-2018 at 08:24 PM.

Mighty Member

Another thing is that in a Post-Black Panther climate. A Batgirl film focusing on Barbara or Stephanie is the wrong way to go. I truly believe that minority groups are sick of seeing pale-faced superheroes.

I think Barbara's legacy is that she can easily be update for the current climate because part of her origin is being a kick ass academic. She's had major staying power since and the fundamentals of Babs are usually there but just revamp to suit the whatever version they go for.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Black View Post
    Another thing is that in a Post-Black Panther climate. A Batgirl film focusing on Barbara or Stephanie is the wrong way to go. I truly believe that minority groups are sick of seeing pale-faced superheroes.
    I can definitely see this point. Especially when considering how badly Cass got shafted to make room for Stephanie to become Batgirl, there are some definite implications to be said for that.

Spectacular Member

I'd put money on this not getting made. DC just seem adament on announcing movies every week with no script/plan/anything
    Check Out My Batman Canon Read Through And Review Here, From Year One all the way to Rebirth

Batman Canon Read Through And Review

I'm Also On Patreon. This all goes towards buying new graphic novels so if you like my reviews please pledge whatever you can. Thank you.

Deffinition Patreon

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Ya, Batgirl is Batgirl. I don’t think there is a problem with Batgirl concept, nor do I see how Cass or Steph change that concept. Except when it comes to Cass instead of ‘spunk’ it’s karate chops.

And balance? You seem to just be grasping at anything. But sure, they’re more balanced, and less is more. That’s why they flourished as they have.
    Babs' is basically Batman but without the motivation to make her compelling or means to make it convincing.

In contrast, Cass can kick ass, but she struggles to express herself, fit in with society, etc. She has strengths and weaknesses, and sympathetic flaws.

Babs' weakness is basically being too awesome.

Also, I'd point out that in contrast to Babs', Cass' character did pretty well for herself. She was the first Batgirl with her own series, and it outsold several books that were brought back for OYL. DC cut the legs out from under Cass to make room for Babs' return

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deffinition View Post
    I'd put money on this not getting made. DC just seem adament on announcing movies every week with no script/plan/anything
    Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. I doubt we'll see a Batgirl movie anytime before seeing a decent, shared canon Batman movie.

But I likes to debate

[QUOTE=The Cool Thatguy;3553402]So the cartoon Quinn is just as sociopathic as the Suicide Squad one? Damn, I need to catch up on that! [QUOTE]

Apparently you do. Because Harleen Quinzel is sociopathic in just about everything except DC Super Hero Girls. Where she really doesn't even belong because they are high school students and she didn't
    even become Harley Quinn until years after grad school. Watch episode of Batman: The Animated Series, for example.
    So her origin incorporates the whole 'no homo' crap that's followed Batman and Robin for how long now?
    I still don't follow why this somehow disqualifies Barbara Gordon as Batgirl. Lots of comic books characters had shaky reasons for being created.
    What strains credibility is that Batman's origin is that he's traveled the world for nearly a decade, and funneled millions of dollars into his training.

Frankly, given her family background and socioeconomic status, her motivation as a crimefighter is underwhelming at best. It lacks pathos and depth.

Frankly, I prefer modern. I'd rather read about a character who uses modern sensibilities, vs. a 70s idea of what a woman should be.
    The movie would address all of this and bring her up to 2018 feminist standards. Even the comic books gave her more background as time went on.

Spectacular Member

Alongside Babs, it'd be interesting to see Cassandra Cain and Batwoman in the DCEU.

Quote Originally Posted by saiyan_earthling View Post
    Alongside Babs, it'd be interesting to see Cassandra Cain and Batwoman in the DCEU.
    Babs passing the mantel on to Cassandra would be interesting. And the general public getting a glimpse at an actual blood relative of Bruce Wayne's (aside from Damian) on the big screen? That would turn heads.