Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    so we have new issue now, I dont think we should exclude biracial people, yes racist casting directors would pick token black people with lighter skin and Caucasian facial features but that not their fault. It wasnt right but its not their and they should not be excluded now their is sunshine for all of us

The people Harassing Alexandra because they think she is too light to to play storm, Lets not continue the divide racists have put in our minds and turn against each other.
    https://selfuni.wordpress.com/2015/1...pean-features/
    I'm not talking about "excluding" anybody. I'm talking about "including" other black women who have darker skin tones.

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    There was only one person who started it and their comment was uncalled for and yes there will always be black people who do not consider black biracials as black individuals but Alexandra deserved that twitter ass whooping for the way she responded, Keiynan Lonsdale caped for Alex and someone on twitter set him straight and he deleted his tweets so even he understood in a short amount of time what Alex didn't.

Her ignorance was highlighted when you compare her to actresses like Zendaya and Yara Shahidi who understand that they're in the position they're in so quickly b/c they're not only light-skinned but also biracial and that they need to use their platform to shine a light on their brown and dark brown skinned sistas.
    "twitter ass whooping" lol Twitter is an idiot toilet, noone should take seriously anything that happens in that brainless cesspool, let alone millionaire actors.
    Last edited by Johnny; 03-06-2018 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    I'm not talking about "excluding" anybody. I'm talking about "including" other black women who have darker skin tones.
    Exactly. I'm a POC with a light af skin tone to the point that people who don't know better can't even guess I'm POC and even I think what you are saying is completely valid. It is frustrating when the majority of roles meant for WOC's go to actresses with the lightest of skin tones or who are biracial. It would be disingenuous to pretend that this is not because of wacky and restricted concepts of "beauty" ("colorism" is the term for it, I guess).

Having said that, I think it was unfair to come for Alexandra Shipp like that coz she ain't in charge of the system and she just gets a tiny morsel of privilege from it. But I could understand where her critics were coming from and her reactions (while also very understandable) made the situation worse than it should have been if she had handled things sensitively. Also, girl better fire her PR team/manager for not helping her out there.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 03-06-2018 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    *clap* *clap* *clap*

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    "twitter ass whooping" lol Twitter is an idiot toilet, noone should take seriously anything that happens in that brainless cesspool, let alone millionaire actors.
    This comment was pointless and I don't even know why you responded with it, what did you add to this over all discussion ...nothing, I wasted a second of my life reading it b/c you thought that opinion was so necessary for people to see.

The internet itself is a vile cesspool filled with pockets of idiots, so you said nothing new.

If you don't like twitter, don't use it and don't look at anything that comes from it, don't even think about it or respond to anything that comes from it or about it.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 03-06-2018 at 02:17 PM.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

No, a John Stewart lead green lantern movie should be the next step.

No - instead of trying to do what came before,(or some market-driven iteration/combination of), doing something new is the smart followup.

*clap* *clap* *clap*

This comment was pointless and I don't even know why you responded with it, what did you add to this over all discussion ...nothing, I wasted a second of my life reading it b/c you thought that opinion was so necessary for people to see.

The internet itself is a vile cesspool filled with pockets of idiots, so you said nothing new.

If you don't like twitter, don't use it and don't look at anything that comes from it, don't even think about it or respond to anything that comes from it or about it.
    Heh, just wanted to point out that I thought Alexandra Shipp shouldn't have taken the time to respond to embarrassing individuals who think she shouldn't play a role because "she's not black enough for it". Maybe she wasn't as financially stable as Ed Skrein probably was when he gave up a role that wasn't meant for him. Or maybe she thought it was a fictional character so it wasn't a huge deal that she was bi-racial. Or maybe she just didn't think twice about it, because it was freaking Storm from the X-Men. Whatever the case, the point was actors are people like all of us and sometimes fans don't really think much before tweeting idiotic hateful things at them for little to no reason. Maybe people should try to use social media in a better way.

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    The difference is that Storm has always been distinctly drawn in comics as a darker skinned woman (and I HATED that Berry played her), while Vixen has always been drawn as a lighter-skinned biracial woman.
    If it had been up to me, Storm would be played by someone like Danai or Lupita, while yes, Vixen would be played by a caramel-skinned sister like Gugu or Janelle.
    Vixen started out as a darker-skinned black woman, just like Storm:

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Heh, just wanted to point out that I thought Alexandra Shipp shouldn't have taken the time to respond to embarrassing individuals who think she shouldn't play a role because "she's not black enough for it". Maybe she wasn't as financially stable as Ed Skrein probably was when he gave up a role that wasn't meant for him. Or maybe she thought it was a fictional character so it wasn't a huge deal that she was bi-racial. Or maybe she just didn't think twice about it, because it was freaking Storm from the X-Men. Whatever the case, the point was actors are people like all of us and sometimes fans don't really think much before tweeting idiotic hateful things at them for little to no reason. Maybe people should try to use social media in a better way.
    No one but individuals who feel biracials are their own race believe Alexandra is not black enough, but most people do know that her biracial-ness and her light skinned-ness is getting her those roles, because she's not that great an actor ...although getting all these roles is helping her improve.

She doesn't have to be financially stable to realize she has privilege over other individuals nor does she have to be financially stable to realize there is a bias in Hollywood, most are aware that her playing an iconic character was probably her big break but as she continued to show her ignorance the leeway people was giving her disappeared.

Let's be real here the first tweet that started it all was uncalled for b/c they @ her, but the tweet basically boiled down to how Alex's opinion on her Storm and Black Panther doen't matter b/c she'll be replaced and Alex is a but of an idiot for thinking she won't be.

And there is nothing idiotic or hateful about telling Alexandra Shipp that her being cast in a role contributes to colorism, a world wide issue that has many minorities bleaching their skin to look white, an issue that mentally breaks individuals.

And if Storm was just a comic book character in the context of what you're saying, then there wouldn't be discussions for more characters like her in comics, or discussions about how she needs her own movie b/c she's one of the most well known woman of color/black characters in comics and that's on top of the that she's also a powerful fan favorite amongst the X-Men.

You're right celebrities are just like us and so just like you don't coddle the feelings of a stranger depending on a situation, celebrities shouldn't expect to be coddled by internet strangers either.

And we all should let people use social media the way that they want and reap the consequences of their actions.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 03-06-2018 at 08:18 PM.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

To go with the thread title it's a bold choice.

I don't really see her lack of a solo run as a problem because no DC or Marvel movie is a straight adaptation anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post

I don't really see her lack of a solo run as a problem because no DC or Marvel movie is a straight adaptation anyway.
    Mari's at least had an animated series (ok, if you add all the "episodes" together, it's more like an anthology movie). Guardians of the Galaxy didn't have squat and became a multi-million franchise.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post

I wonder when DC or Marvel will start creating heroes for the big screen that never appeared in the comics. With some of the lower-tier heroes who never had solo comics or a rogues gallery brand new villains will probably be created.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I wonder when DC or Marvel will start creating heroes for the big screen that never appeared in the comics. With some of the lower-tier heroes who never had solo comics or a rogues gallery brand new villains will probably be created.
    Most of the women superheroes in the MCU like Hope, Okoye, Nakia, Shuri, Mantis and Nebula may as well be new characters. They share very little in common with their comic counterparts any way.

No one but individuals who feel biracials are their own race believe Alexandra is not black enough, but most people do know that her biracial-ness and her light skinned-ness is getting her those roles, because she's not that great an actor ...although getting all these roles is helping her improve.

She doesn't have to be financially stable to realize she has privilege over other individuals nor does she have to be financially stable to realize there is a bias in Hollywood, most are aware that her playing an iconic character was probably her big break but as she continued to show her ignorance the leeway people was giving her disappeared.

Let's be real here the first tweet that started it all was uncalled for b/c they @ her, but the tweet basically boiled down to how Alex's opinion on her Storm and Black Panther doen't matter b/c she'll be replaced and Alex is a but of an idiot for thinking she won't be.

And there is nothing idiotic or hateful about telling Alexandra Shipp that her being cast in a role contributes to colorism, a world wide issue that has many minorities bleaching their skin to look white, an issue that mentally breaks individuals.

And if Storm was just a comic book character in the context of what you're saying, then there wouldn't be discussions for more characters like her in comics, or discussions about how she needs her own movie b/c she's one of the most well known woman of color/black characters in comics and that's on top of the that she's also a powerful fan favorite amongst the X-Men.

You're right celebrities are just like us and so just like you don't coddle the feelings of a stranger depending on a situation, celebrities shouldn't expect to be coddled by internet strangers either.

And we all should let people use social media the way that they want and reap the consequences of their actions.
    Knowledge....

After Wonder Woman & Black Panther, is a Vixen solo film the next logical step?
    Vixen was already a logical step before Wonder Woman & Black Panther films, DC should have been working on it (IMO).
    Just WB had no vision, I mean the Halle Berry Catwoman film they decided to focus on and throw money at, should have already been a Vixen film in development . (This is when Vixen started appearing regularly on JLU and got her new pixie-cut look)
    At the time WB still only saw Batman(derivative) and Superman as potential film franchises.
    While Marvel quickly realized they could put anything on the table, as long it it was showing a shared-universe was building.
    WB still hasn't gotten there, and is forever playing catch up.
    There is plenty of young actresses who can carry this role, and the material and theme is rife for a movie.
    Meanwhile DC/WB is clueless and still going how do we reinvent Batman?
    Last edited by Güicho; 03-07-2018 at 06:44 AM.