Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    Steve fought the law with his fists which made no sense. I guess he did trick the group of bad guys into being caught by Stark.

I agree something like Steve getting on TV would have helped his cause. Hawkeyes/Ronin did it easy enough against Osborne.

They could have done more with Iron Fist fighting the law as he indicated he was going to do or with Robbie and She Hulk. Really they could have done it with anyone. It would have fleshed out the law better.

They did little to expose ay faults in the law or the ways it was enforced.
    Steve fought the law with his fists, because he didn't have a choice except to fight it with his fists. Once Hill found out he was opposed to the law, she essentially tried taking him into custody before the law was even passed.

But honestly that's what needed to happen in order to make this an event. Steve testifying in front of Congress would have made for a pretty boring event.

I'm surprised that Steve was so poor at building a strategy against the SHRA. everything he did played right into SHIELD's hands. he cut them all off from the public and began acting in the shadows, with impunity. beating up Tony Stark wasn't going to sway the public or even halt the implementation of the Act. it was a public perception problem. Stark had the right idea by taking the action necessary to communicate humility to the public. he was telling them that the heroes were on their side. Cap was basically telling the marvel American people to "go suck an egg I do what I want." All of that horrible stuff that the Pro-Registration side did came about because Rogers wanted to treat them as if they were just some costumed villain. and i'll chalk it up him being stupidly written. I don't think it's how Rogers would react; if written in-character. Tony definitely wouldn't have been a war profiteer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Without the evil actions, there would still be the questionable idea of trying to force supers into registering, honestly the registering should be like drafting, but to draft only active super heroes for training, not anyone who has powers, but then if everything is done in a reasonable way then there's no conflict lol.
    This reminds me of how Cloud-9 of Avengers: The Initiative got drafted despite her powers being relatively harmless, and then things promptly went off the rails for her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I'm surprised that Steve was so poor at building a strategy against the SHRA. everything he did played right into SHIELD's hands. he cut them all off from the public and began acting in the shadows, with impunity. beating up Tony Stark wasn't going to sway the public or even halt the implementation of the Act. it was a public perception problem. Stark had the right idea by taking the action necessary to communicate humility to the public. he was telling them that the heroes were on their side. Cap was basically telling the marvel American people to "go suck an egg I do what I want." All of that horrible stuff that the Pro-Registration side did came about because Rogers wanted to treat them as if they were just some costumed villain. and i'll chalk it up him being stupidly written. I don't think it's how Rogers would react; if written in-character. Tony definitely wouldn't have been a war profiteer.
    It's good to know Tony was able to carry that shield with his lack of a plan in Civil War II .

Fantastic Member

there may have been a good story in there... somewhere. but the hoops they had to go through to write the damn thing ruined any chance of it being any good. SHIELD, formerly an international organization that was routinely cannon fodder to supers is now an American entity and supposed to train those selfsame folks? And given how often SHIELD is infiltrated/hacked/etc, why would any intelligent hero trust them enough to register with them? Oh yeah, and hadn't they discovered (or at least suspected) that it had been compromised in New Avengers? And then Hill tries to arrest Captain America for voicing his opinion about a law that was in effect yet. And that's all before Idiot Ball ping pong.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Steve fought the law with his fists, because he didn't have a choice except to fight it with his fists. Once Hill found out he was opposed to the law, she essentially tried taking him into custody before the law was even passed.

But honestly that's what needed to happen in order to make this an event. Steve testifying in front of Congress would have made for a pretty boring event.
    We goethe testimony from Stark.

While on the run Cap did little to actually change things He did one interview with Sally for Frontling but could have done a lot more to court public opinion in between the scraps with Stark and his side.

As far as the comic Civil War story went, Wolverine was the only one who came out of that looking good(somewhat) imo as he was the only one who went after the guy responsible for what happened in Stamford.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This reminds me of how Cloud-9 of Avengers: The Initiative got drafted despite her powers being relatively harmless, and then things promptly went off the rails for her.

It's good to know Tony was able to carry that shield with his lack of a plan in Civil War II .
    at least Tony only risked himself with that act of stupidity. because of Cap's actions, Battling Bantam is dead.

at least Tony only risked himself with that act of stupidity. because of Cap's actions, Battling Bantam is dead.
    Well, every hero who came with Tony to the big fight risked arrest and incarceration for going against Carol and SHIELD.

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    As far as the comic Civil War story went, Wolverine was the only one who came out of that looking good(somewhat) imo as he was the only one who went after the guy responsible for what happened in Stamford.
    he didn't finish the job. Declun and Nitro are still around.

he didn't finish the job. Declun and Nitro are still around.
    Well, he was going to, but Namor stopped him and felt Nitro needed to face Atlantean justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's because of her that I mentioned "only active super heroes", because all she was doing is fly around, then suddenly motherfucking SHIELD forces her to register lol.

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    We goethe testimony from Stark.

While on the run Cap did little to actually change things He did one interview with Sally for Frontling but could have done a lot more to court public opinion in between the scraps with Stark and his side.
    Course, you can make an argument in hindsight that Steve really didn't need to do anything, as the government itself would eventually turn against the SHRA. The very next president ended up calling the SHRA unamerica. And the SHRA would eventually be tossed out by Congress. So effectively the heroes just needed to wait out the storm, and the SHRA would eventually go away on it's own

You know, Steve was already registered technically. The government KNEW who he was and approved. In fact, the government legally turned over the identity and control of that identity to him. They also gave him a Champions License, which LEGALLY allows him to put together and opperate a superhuman team whenever he needs to.

if the story was smart, he could have fought the whole thing by using their own red tape against them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    You know, Steve was already registered technically. The government KNEW who he was and approved. In fact, the government legally turned over the identity and control of that identity to him. They also gave him a Champions License, which LEGALLY allows him to put together and opperate a superhuman team whenever he needs to.

if the story was smart, he could have fought the whole thing by using their own red tape against them.
    Steve probably would have if Hill hadn't come after him guns and blazing for not supporting the Registration Act.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post

The thing about it is that Hill was smart enough (or dumb enough depending on how you look at it) to anticipate that before the law was passed and effectively took any legal means of Steve combating the law off the table.

By trying to arrest Steve before the law is passed, he's either locked up or a fugitive criminal. Either way, his options are pretty limited. Which of course is necessary for this to become any sort of event in the first place.